• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Since we don't have a sub forum for all this, I thought maybe a thread.

Don't waste the liver, here is it in Braunschweiger and eaten with a bowl of venison chili on Ritz crackers with horseradish mustard and cheddar cheese.
    How to make it with better consistency.
    Better recipe with video and how to mess it up by over freezing it.
    braunschweiger-crackers.jpg.jpg

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Damn man, nobody? There will never be a hunting/processing/recipes forum like this.

Now that I killed a buck we will probably cold pack all the Non- nice steaks into quart jars and cover with Potatoes, frozen veggies, onion and spices and beef broth and process. Maybe experiment with stroganoff without the thickener in it.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Recipes

I cook a lot of deer meat.Most of what I do is simple stuff.If you bought any G &S seasoning,it goes great on venison.

Cut up veggies, use teriyaki sauce and a little water ,a trimmed shoulder and cook in a crock pot.

Slice steak/back strap very thin.Salt,pepper,garlic and a small bit of tyme.Quick fry in butter and make a sandwich.

Slice a steak up 1/2 inch pieces.Tenderize,sprinkle garlic,salt and pepper.Roll in flour and fry in hot oil for 2 mins per side.

Burgers....i don't add any fat....just deer.Salt ,pepper,garlic,G&S Worcestershire,and cooking sherry.Fry til just done.People say burgers will fall apart without a binder.Maybe on a grill,but if you fry and don't turn too early,they turn out great.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    We used to carry cold packed deer meat on remote jobs. Kept right in the truck till.
    Just meat and the schalm on top. Crackers.

You need to get some sika if you like to cook deer meat. Pretty tasty when well prepared.
    I like it marinated in teriyaki just like above, Bone in, not frozen if at all possible.
    Olive oil yes.
    I'm not a good cook.
    Soaked in milk is another good way.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Well I was looking for ways to use the pressure caner and make ready made meals. I saved 4# of cubed meat out of my buck and made Venison vegetable soup. Long story on the link, short story here.

venison-veggie-soup_5.jpg

vensison-vegsoup-recipe.png

I'll likely monkey with the recipe over this winter and experiment on individual quarts.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Venison stroganoff made like the ball recipe but omitted the tomato past. The wife said “Who adds tomatoes to Stroganoff!” That was code for i'll break your knees if you add it. ;) Long story here

I lost head space for the mushrooms loosing air. I hope that is fine.
    venison-stroganoff_4.jpg

venison-stroganoff-recipe.png

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Too much ground deer was adding in the freezer and we don;t use it like hamburger. The wife doesn't like plain deer and the daughter and wife are not helping me eat bologna. So I was looking for another recipe and thought I'd try deer bacon.

I'll post the recipe and stuff on my blog later on. You can't cook like pork bacon, more like candian bacon and just crisp the edges and sizzle it on a lower temp. Not bad at all. Might increase the maple syrup and see what the wife thinks for additions.

Attachments

• IMG_2295.jpg
      IMG_2295.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 136
    • IMG_2296.jpg
      IMG_2296.jpg
      81.7 KB · Views: 136
    • IMG_2300.jpg
      IMG_2300.jpg
      60.6 KB · Views: 130
    • IMG_2301.jpg
      IMG_2301.jpg
      57.8 KB · Views: 138

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    We defrosted a pack of deer steaks. I looked at the date and saw it was my son's big gamey tasting buck.

My son found a recipe for Birria de Res. Basically meat simmered for 3 hours plus. The first hour just in bullion and water. The last two get the addition of a puree made from 3 different hot dried, deseeded peppers, a head of garlic, cilantro, cloves, onions, salt and pepper to taste.

Meat came out very soft with a great flavor. Zero gameyness.

We made tacos. Toasted tortillas, some queso fresco fresh cilantro and chopped onions.

Great way to prepare gamey meat.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Very old traditional recipe for the other parts of a deer. Originally thought of as a peasant dish using leftovers from the Lord's game, its now recognized a peasant could never have afforded the spices & seasonings.
    If you like things like liverwurst, or Braunschweiger this will be good for you.

Umble pie, Figgy Pudding’s version…
    For the pastry:
    200g plain flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    100g butter *(cut into small, rough cubes)
    large pinch of saffron
    1 egg yolk
    cold*water (about half a mug of cold water will be needed)
    For the filling:
    6 strips of streaky bacon*
    100g bacon lardons (fatty bacon cubes)
    200g venison offal also add venison scraps as available, but remove any fat.*(kidneys, liver & sweetbreads work best; chopped & boiled for around 20 minutes until tender, then cooled)
    1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.) 4 dried apricots, diced.
    1/4 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg
    1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
    10 cloves
    1 tsp Mace
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp salt
    100g butter
    100ml red wine
    1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
    Boil the offal & spices (cloves, mace nutmeg & cinnamon) for 20 minutes and then leave to cool for 40 minutes. At the same time as you begin boiling the offal,*If you’re using saffron to give your pastry a warm golden-hue, steep the saffron in a tablespoon of hot water for 30 minutes or so. By the time you come to use the water, it should have completely cooled.
    Sift flour and salt into a large bowl; a metal bowl works best as it keeps the pastry cool. Put the cubes of butter into the flour, and with your fingers, rub the butter into the flour. *Keep rubbing until the mixture has the texture of fine, small breadcrumbs. Drop the egg yolk into a well and add 2 tablespoons of cold water and the (now-cooled) saffron water. Mix with a butter knife. Mix everything together, adding more cold water if necessary and keep mixing until a ball of pastry is easily formed. *Wrap the pastry in cling film and put in the fridge for around 30 minutes.
    *Roll 2/3 of the pastry out until it is thin enough to cover the base and sides of the pie dish. Then line the dish with the pastry and arrange 3 bacon rashers one way and make a criss-cross pattern by laying the other 3 slices in the opposite direction. Put the pie funnel in the center of the pie and around this put the cooled, cooked offal and the bacon lardons. Add the pepper, salt, fruits & nutmeg. Roll out the remaining pastry and use to cover the pie. Crimp the edges closed, using a little water to join the pie lid to the edges. You can use any leftover pastry to make leaves or more intricate designs! Brush the top of your pastry with a little milk or cream, just before placing in the oven.
    Bake in *an oven at 180°C for 40 minutes. While the pie is cooking In the meantime, mix the wine, butter and thyme leaves in a saucepan. Heat until the butter melts then bring to a slow boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook down for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
    When you remove the pie from the oven pour in the wine sauce (if you have a pie funnel that allows this to be poured into the pie – even better! Serve hot with peas or other green veg.

Fresh from the oven…
    The Results…
    If you like liver, this won’t disappoint (but does anyone really like liver these days?). The liver and kidneys give a lovely flavour to the bacon and those juices seep into the pastry below. I think it would be better in future if the liver, kidney*and lardons were all the same size,*cut up very small, so that the flavours mix together far better. If all three meats placed within the pie resembled a large mince, I think the outcome could be quite delicious.

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    Back straps marinated with very little water in beef bouillon paste like "Better Than Bouillon" for a day no longer than 2 or it will be "To Beefy" flavored and salty. Before you knock it please try it with folks you want to interduce, fake out etc. I cook rare/medium.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    If you don't have a grinder

I take the deer trimmings that you'd usually grind and neatly wrap them tightly in a one or two pound package and freeze it. The night before or in the morning get a package out of the freezer and put it in the refrigerator so it'll soften up but not thawed.
    Hot frying pan, oil, sauté onions, peppers, mushrooms, whatever, till nice and brown. You can add a little brown sugar to help brown.
    Chip the semi frozen venison as thin as you can with a knife and add it a little at a time to the frying pan.
    The pan should be hot. Only add meat a little at a time and let the water evaporate, chip as you go and adjust the heat, that's the trick.
    Add seasoning and a little corn starch and water if you want a little gravy.
    Put whatever cheese on top and it'll be the best steak sub sandwich you ever had.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    WHY THE PAN HAS SO MUCH WATER

Lean meat no matter what kind, the water comes out of it when cooking. The fat holds the moisture in. The solution is add more fat but health conscious people don't want fat.
    15% is about the right trade off between lean and fat for ground meat. I add olive oil or canola oil to the meat and reduce the animal fat.
    The trick to flavorful meat is to let the water evaporate some before adding more meat to the pan. If you throw all the meat in the pan at once and the pan is not hot enough the meat will basically boil in its own water and won't brown. Browning the meat gives it flavor. If you fry bacon in its own grease, yum, boil bacon, yuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom