• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If they are going to start going after this stuff, realize that this will end up in court immediately and will be there for years. Most likely nothing will be banned for several years. Not saying I like it, just offering an opinion. The ATF will have a long uphill battle to get this done and have it stick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Unfortunately, wouldn't changing the code federal regulations be a simple administrative matter not needing congressional approval?

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    What does "Going after 80%s" really mean, though? There needs to be some regulatory definition of what is a firearm, and what isn't or any metal object becomes a potential firearm.

If going after 80%s means prosecuting those convicted of violent crimes from manufacturing firearms, I'm okay with that. But there's just no statutory basis for ATF to stop private manufacture of firearms for personal use by non-prohibited persons.

Maybe "going after 80%s" means lowering the threshold for what constitutes a firearm vs non-firearm. That might add an minutes to hours to completion time, but it still doesn't change the law to make personal manufacturing illegal.

Or it could mean changing the regulatory definition for MSRs such that the upper, which is harder to manufacture at home, is the serialized "firearm". In the UK, rifled barrels are the regulated part because they're hard to manufacture without specialized equipment and knowledge. But barrels are a wear item, something that's expected to be replaced during the functional life of a gun.

Lots of ambiguous rumors flying around, few actionable facts.

You are talking about politicians. Their goal is to stop the ownership of modern sport rifles (and maybe have a desire to stop ownership of all semi-auto rifles), but they get so excited about the end, they screw up their word soup in the law and leave open all kinds of confusion.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    What does "Going after 80%s" really mean, though? There needs to be some regulatory definition of what is a firearm, and what isn't or any metal object becomes a potential firearm.

If going after 80%s means prosecuting those convicted of violent crimes from manufacturing firearms, I'm okay with that. But there's just no statutory basis for ATF to stop private manufacture of firearms for personal use by non-prohibited persons.

Maybe "going after 80%s" means lowering the threshold for what constitutes a firearm vs non-firearm. That might add minutes to hours to completion time, but it still doesn't change the law to make personal manufacturing illegal.

Or it could mean changing the regulatory definition for MSRs such that the upper, which is harder to manufacture at home, is the serialized "firearm". In the UK, rifled barrels are the regulated part because they're hard to manufacture without specialized equipment and knowledge. But barrels are a wear item, something that's expected to be replaced during the functional life of a gun.

I am not going to speculate. We dont know any facts yet. I am going to wait to see words on paper. I know what we went through this past MGA session when we testified against the 80 percent bill. The senate was clueless of what their own words meant on paper. It was up to us to decipher it for them and how it violated our rights and made criminals out of law abiding citizens. Fortunately it died. I will not be surprised to see it reappear. I have very little faith that D politicians can decipher their own bills on a federal level either. I will speculate that short barrels are going to be another boogeyman for D's somewhere along the line.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Maybe "going after 80%s" means lowering the threshold for what constitutes a firearm vs non-firearm. That might add minutes to hours to completion time, but it still doesn't change the law to make personal manufacturing illegal.

I wouldn’t put it past them to outlaw personal manufacturing.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I wouldn’t put it past them to outlaw personal manufacturing.

The Dems might want to, but it would require a change to Federal law. It's not a regulatory issue that can be changed by bureaucratic fiat. If the Reps hold onto the Senate, I don't see that change happening. Any statutory changes would be at the state level, in states like MD where the Dems have legislative dominance.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads