• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I mentioned in the "Scary Aminals" thread that one of the animals I'm most scared/concerned about are Coyotes when walking the dog at night. I've had one just walk down the edge of my front yard along the road when I pulled into the driveway late one night and one night while working on a salt spreader in my driveway last year I had two sets of eyes watching from the neighboring field (most likely foxes).

I'd like to find a reasonably priced thermal monocle that I can use to just scan the woods while out at night, especially when the dog starts just staring off in a direction. I just want to know what's out there.

I have no clue where to start as the only name in thermal I know is Flir and even with Flir, no idea what would be the best for my specific use case.

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    I do a lot of fox/coyote hunting and got into the thermal game last year. Honestly, its all in what you want to spend. I just bought a Pulsar XQ38 monocular to use for scanning. It works pretty good for the money, but there are a ton of other choices out there. I believe Leopold makes one that didn't seem to bad either.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I’ve said it several times in various threads, but if you can you your funds to at least the $2k mark (preferably $3k) you can get a rifle scope, with MUCH better range, clarity, and features (not the least of which is actually using it for predator hunting).

Sadly, FLIR puked our of the civilian market about a year ago - but PULSAR is still quite good. Avoid ATN at all costs.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I do a lot of fox/coyote hunting and got into the thermal game last year. Honestly, its all in what you want to spend. I just bought a Pulsar XQ38 monocular to use for scanning. It works pretty good for the money, but there are a ton of other choices out there. I believe Leopold makes one that didn't seem to bad either.
    If the Leoupold referenced is the one I have(LTO Tracker), it isn’t a true “monocular”, though it does look like one. It is a pretty good thermal scanner, but the image you see is just that, an image like a cellphone pic displayed on a very small screen. You can “scan” to some degree but not like looking thru a monocular or binoculars. IMHO, it’s not a helpful tool for your stated reasons. See the pic I’ve attached of a deer I shot last year laying dead on the ground 17 yards away. I bought this for tracking, and I suppose it would work well for that, but haven’t gotten to use it in that capacity yet.

Attachments

• FC921AA1-DBC9-4653-B031-658B8CBDBD84.jpg
      FC921AA1-DBC9-4653-B031-658B8CBDBD84.jpg
      117.7 KB · Views: 154

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    That is the Leopold I had on my mind. I looked at so many when I was looking at them that I cant remember it all now. I cant help to think that I would try a red or green light before I spent the money on a thermal in this situation.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    That is the Leopold I had on my mind. I looked at so many when I was looking at them that I cant remember it all now. I cant help to think that I would try a red or green light before I spent the money on a thermal in this situation.
    I was disappointed that my research failed to determine it wasn’t actually a monocular. I was so disappointed when I got it home to try it out. It still has been pretty useful though. I’ve checked the woods before going in to avoid spooking deer, I’ve actually used it in my home to find insulation deficiencies and cold or hot spots. I’ve found ductwork that is broken and leaking cold air into the floor cavity rather than cooling my spare bedrooms. It isn’t the tool I thought it was when I bought it, but it isn’t a waste of money.

Would I buy it again or recommend it to anyone? Absolutely not, but I do use it fairly often-ish.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Save yourself some money and get a bigger dog! :innocent0

Good luck though with the technology - I may get something if I find some $ laying around.

Oh she’s plenty big enough and I don’t want to buy a bigger dog to act as a deterrent because the bigger the dog the more they eat. I’d rather spend a couple grand to begin with for a monocle or scope than the same amount every year in extra dog food. :D

I think I’ll go for an actual scope, buy once, cry once and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom