• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stevetull

Nov 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Stemmersrun Rifle & Pistol Club is holding the first Bowling Pin Shoot of the year.
    Open to the Public @ AGC Pistol range, this is a 50/50 competition.
    March 27th, 12-4 listed on the AGC calendar, we also offer grilled food.
    Goto: stemmersrun.org

I would like to thank everyone who participated in our first shoot of the year.
    I will be contacting the winners shortly, we had a blessed day, it was beautiful.
    On top of that we had the grill fired up, and, a special thank you for all who helped. I hope to see all next shoot, May 1st, 12:00-4:30, bring you appetite.

Last edited:

stevetull

Nov 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    50/50 competition

If you win your division you will receive half of the money.
    Entry is $5.00 per division.
    If 5 competitors enter, that's $25.00, split, you win $12.50

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Thanks for the YouTube videos. They answered all my questions. It's amazing anyone can even hit the little .22 targets.

25 feet is pretty close. Having a target type 22 (buckmark, Ruger 22/45 etc) does help.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    If you are really interested in the money instead of just shooting you need to pick a popular gun class. I showed up for a couple several years ago with an open 22 racegun and there was only ever one other guy in that class so I did not make much money really then. I am not sure these days. I would likely pick something like stock auto these days, but not one of my best classes to be honest. So just shoot for fun.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Anyone know how wide the pins are for centerfire and the circles for rimfire?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    They shoot real bowling pins at MPC in Frederick, and at only about 21'. You have to knock them completely off the table, even rimfires. While I can shoot them off the table with a Browning or a Ruger in about 2.5s on a good day there are a couple of guys in the club who can do under 3s with a semi-auto centerfire pistol every now and then. The ones they use at AGC, the metal pins, they put up for practice in the winter.
    Pretty sure the AGC pins are the same size and shape as real bowling pins.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I try to attend a couple of matches every year. Stemmers Run are great hosts. The matches are fun and safe. The grub is good and the people are awesome.

And, where it's very difficult to knock a real bowling pin completely off a table with one shot using anything under .40, the steel plate pins fall rather easily with a solid hit from 9mm. I like using my 9's at the Stemmers Run matches. I won't shoot anything smaller than .45 ACP at the MPC matches.

But if you're a new shooter and would like to do something more with your new handgun than punch holes in paper, I can highly recommend the Pin Shoots as a good time.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    About how many rounds should be brought to be on the safe side for a middle of the pack .45 auto shooter?

Depends on how many relays you want to shoot and how many times you miss. :D

I've never brought more than 3 and usually had about a half box leftover. I usually shoot two relays.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Watched the videos. Do you shoot on a timer? Does more than one shooter shoot at the same time?

Yes, shooters are timed. The last match I attended in 2019, shooters in Relay 2 timed the shooters in Relay 1, recorded their times on a scorecard and awaited commands from the RSO to start-up again. Relay 3 shooters will do the same for Relay 2 shooters and so on and so forth. The goal is to knock all 5 pins over with only 6 shots loaded in a magazine/cylinder. You get do that five times per Relay. Worst time of the 5 rounds is thrown-out and your average time is calculated with your 4(?) best times in the Relay.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    6 pins 6 shots per magazine. If you miss even one, you will have to reload.
    bring more than 1 mag unless you plan not to miss :)

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    6 pins 6 shots per magazine. If you miss even one, you will have to reload.
    bring more than 1 mag unless you plan not to miss :)

Yes, I stand corrected. It has been too long! Hopefully I can get back up there for a couple this Spring/Summer.

stevetull

Nov 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    SRRPC Pin Shoot

I will be contacting the winners shortly, we had a blessed day, it was beautiful.
    On top of that we had the grill fired up, and, a special thank you for all who helped. I hope to see all next shoot, May 1st, 12:00-4:30, bring you appetite.

stevetull

Nov 24, 2009
    Baltimore

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Thx for putting it on and squeezing my son and I in at the end as we arrived late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom