• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Hey guys so just started the process of getting my HQL, very confident I'll be approved for it, happy to be able to purchase a handgun again. I've been looking at some pistols and have narrowed it down to a few but I was curious if you guys had some suggestions. I'm looking for something for home defense, doesn't have massive recoil, ammo is inexpensive and easy to get. I was looking at possibly getting an inexpensive model 1911, something in the $500 range, and was curious if anyone had any recommendations for brands that make a good model 1911. I was also consider getting a 22mag, but I'm not sure how well that would go for home defense. I love historical firearms and stuff you don't see very often.

Summary
    1.suggestions on inexpensive model 1911's
    2. Suggestions on good home defense rounds/pistols
    3. Would a 22mag be good for home defense?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. Stand by for recommendations for specific Philippine mfg 1911s . My input is to be aware of your personal preferences as to exact configuration preferences . ( ie flat vs arched , long vs short , beaver or no beaver, ambi vs one side , GI vs slightly larger vs large vs freaking redicously oversized ) . It is way more cost effective to purchase out of the box already in your prefered configuration than to replace later .

2. Seems like you answered your own question in #1 , if not the subject is infinite and endless .

3. I'm outspoken in liking .22WMR , and in a full size handgun it is surprisingly potent . ( unstated - in a snubie or mini gun , .22WMR is neutered to the level of .22lr from 4in bbl , but with waaay more muzzle blast and flash )

For home defense , a full size .22WMR is an orthopedic option for those with significant physical limitations of their hands , who truly need zero- ish recoil options . In that context , .22WMR from 4 inch , preferably 6-ish bbl totally spanks .22lr handguns , and on par with Mini Mags from .22lr Rifles .

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I handled a 9mm Rock Island with the improved sights, beavertail, flat housing, etc.. I would shoot it as is with no more than a refined tuning and enjoy it. The 9 in a full size 1911 is a hoot to shoot. The recoil is very managable and 124 grain ammo seems to shoot better than most 115 grain fodder.

My fave is still one in 45 ACP.

Inexpensive and available are oxymorons in the present market but it is improving.

Ed Anger

Jan 16, 2021
    Gaithersburg, MD
    You could consider getting a revolver. They always work. There are plenty of hollow point nasties for purchase in 38 caliber. In my experience, a used S&W is better than a new el cheapo.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Dollar for dollar...it's hard to beat a basic S&W Model 10...or Model 64 if you prefer stainless. There are other good choices in that class as well. Regardless of what handgun is choses...practice, tactics and competence makes the difference more than the gun itself. The gun is a tool...whether a good tool or poor one depends on he or she who wields it.

Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA
    You could consider getting a revolver. They always work. There are plenty of hollow point nasties for purchase in 38 caliber. In my experience, a used S&W is better than a new el cheapo.

Revolver with a longer barrel will give you a lot of bang for your buck, :sad20: very accurate, reliable, simple to clean, and safe to operate (no bite from slide).
    As mentioned above current availability is a challenge.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    .22Mag would not be my 1st (or 2nd or 3rd) choice for a home defense handgun. Cheap, but not as effective as a larger centerfire pistol cartridge.

For relatively inexpensive ammo I would go with 9mm. It's readily available now and I believe it will be inexpensive again in a few years.

I like 45 ACP a lot, but it wasn't nearly as cheap as 9mm before the shortage. It also has appreciably more recoil in the same weight handgun. Not excessive, but more.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    . . . I'm looking for something for home defense, doesn't have massive recoil, ammo is inexpensive and easy to get. . .

Summary
    1.suggestions on inexpensive model 1911's
    2. Suggestions on good home defense rounds/pistols
    3. Would a 22mag be good for home defense?

To answer the OP's questions directly:

1. Other MDS'ers can answer this better

2. For self defense rounds Federal HST, Speer gold dot, Hornady critical duty/defense are all well reputed brands, though appropriate hollow point bullets from most other manufacturers should also perform well.

For a home defense pistol, in addition to those already mentioned, I would note a CZ75. The steel frame and 9mm caliber keeps recoil comfortable, standard (outside of Anapolis's opinion) magazine size is 17 rounds, ergonomics is good, and it points well. 9mm is normally more readily available and economically priced compared to other calibers. It has been a while since I looked at prices, but regular steel models were ~$600, and there is a stainless steel one in the classifieds right now for $750 (https://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=42675).

1. I would be leery of relying on a 22 caliber firearm for defense, unless it is .223. That said, I am unfamiliar with the ballistics and recoil of 22mag.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    500 bucks for a home defense/range gun? Just get a Glock 17 or 19 and be done.

No use in living in the "affordable" 1911 range with questionable quality. The Glock is going to work.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Rocks rock, there’s nothing questionable about their function.

.22 can terminate brain function or find the femoral artery. We had someone from Shock Trauma here for a while, his opinion was that 2 or more holes mattered more than any magic bullet.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP asked about 1911 , I addressed 1911 , since it was a viable option , and * Wanting * something is an important factor , so long as it doesn't suck for intended purpose .

IF you want a 1911 , it should be .45acp ( or .38 Super if you're eccentric ) , and 5 inch preferably , but no shorter than 4.25 inches . Because John M. Browning knew best .

In general , most of the Premium / semi Premium rounds will perform close enough to each other that the marginal differences will be minor ( unless you obsess about shooting thru automotive windshields ) .

The beauty of .45acp is that it's not dependent upon trick bullets for effective performance . Even generic .45acp HP will do decently .

Added - Yes , I am a Revolver Guy , and by all means give them consideration . But the marketplace today isn't what it was even 5 years ago . The supply of trade in revolvers is essentially gone , and the price of even plain jane basic S&W are moving up .

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Consider getting a revolver as others have said. A 38 would be my first choice it is a good all around caliber. Also, with a revolver when you do something stupid the rounds stay in the cylinder un like a semi auto.

deathracer

Feb 14, 2010
    My opinion, if new to firearms, and not a frequent shooter, and looking primarily only for home defense. I would suggest a 38 +p revolver. Easy to handle, easy to function, 38+P can do the job; and lets face it, you do not need high capacity in 99% of incidents. Most times, 1-2 rounds will do.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    I agree with the revolver recommendations. Easy to use and will always go bang when you pull the trigger. I might suggest a .357 magnum. If you can handle full power rounds, then great. If it's too much, you can drop down to a .38+p or just plain ol' .38. Lots of options in one (very reliable) gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom