• Screenshot_20210510-132101_eBay.jpg
      Screenshot_20210510-132101_eBay.jpg
      25.5 KB · Views: 283

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I almost bought it until I read this review. I guess I am to picky:

I will NEVER buy another Real Avid tool again!!
    Submitted 8 months ago

By NWshooter

From Washington

I have built more ARs than I can remember and this is a joke of a kit. I thought it would be nice to have a kit to take to the range that contained everything, I was wrong. The punches are weak metal and all bent, the picks are flimsy plastic, the torque wrench is not accurate, the chamber flag is ridiculous and the armorer's wench cannot fit a lot of applications (like Areo barrel nuts). I have gone back to using all my old tools. Stick with the known brands , like Wheeler or others.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I have it and I use it mainly for the barrel nut/ castle nut wrench, the takedown pin tool, and the reaction rod.

The torque wrench is accurate enough for barrel nut work, but I typically use my higher end calibrated torque wrench for that stuff.

I find the punches to be perfectly adequate. People bend punches most often because they don't know what they are doing and are trying to sink a roll pin with the punch at an angle.

There are two punches in the kit that are specially designed for the bolt catch roll pin, where half of the punch is shaved flat so it can come at the pin at a perfectly straight angle... This is a handy feature.

I don't know what that guy is talking about how the wrench won't fit an aero barrel nut.... of course it wont...

Find me any basic AR armorers wrench that fits any proprietary barrel nut out there and I will call you a liar.

Any handguard with a special nut should come with a specific wrench which goes onto your torque wrench.

And a kit for the range? There is hardly a single tool in here that would come in handy at the range. The plastic pics are a joke, but they are for cleaning purposes only.

This reviewer does not sound qualified to review this kit.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I will also add that the bench block is pretty handy for driving in the forward assist roll pin, as it holds pressure on the forward assist to make easy.

The magazine vise block is also a quality piece of kit. It'll hold your lower rock solid for putting in the small bits.

All in all, I think it is a quality hobbyist kit.

I have since supplemented this kit with some other stuff, but for someone looking to get started rolling their own rifles, or just having tools for basic serviceability, this kit is solid for the price.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The only thing I can think of that it doesn't have is a 1/8 starter punch for the trigger guard roll / split pin. It has a good 3/32 starter punch which has worked fine for me for the other roll pins, but I recommend buying a cheap 1/8 starter punch for the trigger guard.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I don't think I'll ever buy a lower that doesn't have the integral trigger guard. But, I'd get the punch anyway. Actually, the Aero M4E1 and M5e1 would be the only lowers I'll get.

Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA
    Most Real Avid is made in China, I try to buy American as much as possible. :patriot:

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    Provenoutfitters.com has it for $179 + you can get 10% off when you sign up for their mailing list. I've seen it other places for up to $250.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom