• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Its moments like this when I wish I still ran a machine shop

Converting an old jointer to pillow block bearings til I either find someone to pour babbitt or find the time to do it myself

Sorry for bad hand drawing. Basically a 1.75" plate cut down to 1.625" in two spots with 8 holes of two sizes drilled in it. Big center cutout is for chips to fall through.

I know we have machinists on the board here.

Attachments

• 20210523_154820.jpg
      20210523_154820.jpg
      33.2 KB · Views: 377

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    If you dont get anyone from here, Harford Machine Shop in / near aberdeen does GREAT work.

Mark

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Following. I need a machinst too. Bought a bow dome to install on my submarine. Need to have the mounting rings machined. Once the primary ring is welded onto the hull I'll need a flange facing company to mill it flat so it will properly seat.

www.tehom.net

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Some of us are spoiled by Solidworks then change jobs and loose access to it and are crippled

Yeah my buddy stopped working at a machine shop a few years back His boss would let us use the end mill after hours. It made my 1st 80% AR build a lot easier. Now I don't know anyone that has access to a mill like that. Oh well.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I looked online for the plate stock you would need to make this. I looked at both 6061 Al and A36 steel. Both are gonna cost you quite a bit of money. The cheapest I found was a 6061 plate on ebay for about 180$. Your post indicates this is temporary until you redo the babbit bearings. You will spend a lot on this temporary solution once you add in the machining.

Attachments

• E6B2FBD8-2FEE-462B-B2F5-B8F993DABBB0.jpg
      E6B2FBD8-2FEE-462B-B2F5-B8F993DABBB0.jpg
      32.8 KB · Views: 163

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    If viable. These changes would significantly decrease the cost and you may be able to fabricate it your self. Also could you used aluminum stock ?

Attachments

• bearing.jpg
      bearing.jpg
      38.8 KB · Views: 165

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    If viable. These changes would significantly decrease the cost and you may be able to fabricate it your self. Also could you used aluminum stock ?

1 5/8" plate is just a little less available in my fabrication experience. Plus I am mounting pillow blocks so I'm hoping for a nice flat surface. Now they are self aligning bearings but still better alignment is better life. I am open to being told I am over complicating it

I'd rather it be one piece for rigidity

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    If you dont get anyone from here, Harford Machine Shop in / near aberdeen does GREAT work.

Mark

Good ol'Harford Machine Shop.

I had a unique opportunity with them years and years ago, I got "hired" there during high school with part time availability contingent on an employee returning or not from health issues.

They called the school on Friday and told them they didn't need me on Monday.

I only remember this because at no instance there was no prior communication with Harford Tech. The pvssy couldn't call me and tell me personally LOL

It worked out for the best, I'm glad I never worked at that trash shop but its one of those things I laugh and remember when I drive by Spesutia road in Perryman.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Following. I need a machinst too. Bought a bow dome to install on my submarine. Need to have the mounting rings machined. Once the primary ring is welded onto the hull I'll need a flange facing company to mill it flat so it will properly seat.

www.tehom.net

Ok, now that is a cool gig. Maybe you can find all the MDShooters firearms they all seem to have lost in boating accidents. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom