• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amickey1979

Feb 15, 2008
    Easton, ES of MD
    Shot my 1943 Mosin Nagant 91/30 for the first time since aquiring it. I made 3 observations. 1. As long as you shoulder and hold on to it properly the kick is not all that bad. 2. With no adjustments I was able to ring a steel target at both 100 and 200yds off hand. 100yds 1st shot, 200yds took two shots. 3. It was by far the loudest gun at the range today.

Overall the gun impressed me.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Shot my 1943 Mosin Nagant 91/30 for the first time since aquiring it. I made 3 observations. 1. As long as you shoulder and hold on to it properly the kick is not all that bad. 2. With no adjustments I was able to ring a steel target at both 100 and 200yds off hand. 100yds 1st shot, 200yds took two shots. 3. It was by far the loudest gun at the range today.

Overall the gun impressed me.

Especially impressive since in 1943 they were presumably cranking then out as fast as possible. OTOH it would have had fewer years of use and abuse in the trenches.

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    Shoulder it right, because if you get sloppy it'll let you know. That steel buttplate can slide and turn into a hammer. But the 91/30 is a nice, heavy rifle and really dampens the 7.62x54R recoil. The combination is loads of fun. Enjoy!

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The same goes for the British SMLE Mark 5 "Jungle Carbine". If you like pain it will give you want you want.

I think the US Garand is head and shoulders above all it's contemporaries. I was at a vintage weapons shoot where I shot a Mauser, Mosin, and Lee-Enfield along with a Garand. I could actually hit something with the Garand. I now own two.

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    I have a M44 (1946) and an Izzy M38 is has a receiver from the late 30s. The '46 shoots like a dream. Nothing hangs up. The bolt is nice. Trigger is good. The M38, on the other hand, is a mule you have to beat into submission. The trigger ungodly heavy and it also shoots very low (I need to take a file with me next time I hit the range).

I prefer the carbines over the full size rifles. I have no issue dropping 80 to 100 rounds at a time other than heat build up. :)

They're better rifles than people let on...but they aren't all that great either.

My 43 is beautiful. Obviously i cant know for sure, but its in such good shape it wouldn't surprise me if it was unissued or at the very least saw very limited use. i bought it several years ago for $129. When I got it home i found the extractor was snapped. I replaced it and it functions fine. All numbers match, wood and bluing are as good as ive seen action is fairly smooth.. not bad for a war time production gun.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    If you like the M91/30 you'd LOVE the Finn M39 or M28/30 (my personal fav). Takes the MN to another level.

Took my finn 39 to the range thurs. Hard to use the sight and to see the targets at 200 yds. But fun with russian srplus ammo. Does kick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom