Hunter Safety Course - anything being offered by members this summer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Anybody putting on a hunter safety course this summer in the central Maryland area. I need to get my 8 year old registered.

Would love to attend the one in St. Mary's County with Inigoes and company like I did for my son, but the drive is just insane now after we moved further north.

Willing to drive 90 minutes each way from the Westminster area, maybe even 2 hours depending on who is putting on the class.

Thanks

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Anybody putting on a hunter safety course this summer in the central Maryland area. I need to get my 8 year old registered.

Would love to attend the one in St. Mary's County with Inigoes and company like I did for my son, but the drive is just insane now after we moved further north.

Willing to drive 90 minutes each way from the Westminster area, maybe even 2 hours depending on who is putting on the class.

Thanks

I'd be interested as well.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Traditional classes (No minimum age): https://register-ed.com/programs/maryland/88-maryland-hunter-education-classroom-course

For field days (online classroom, minimum age 10 years old): https://hunter-ed.com/maryland

Thanks for the link.

Signed up for the class at Mayberry at the beginning of August. Wish I could make the drive down to Sanner's Lake again, but 5 hours on the road two days in a row would be tough.

My son still talks about the class you put on, and he will be attending this one too as a refresher.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Thanks for the PM. Signed up for Mayberry. Slightly closer to my house and I hate beltways. Plus, it will give me a chance to see the Mayberry club, which I have been contemplating getting on the waitlist to join.

It’s a nice club. I’m not sure who does the hunter safety stuff there but the guys I’ve met doing precision rifle and the .22 matches have been top notch. The 600 yard range is worth it alone.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    As a note to others trying to get into a class. Continue checking the provided links to see if classroom capacities were enlarged.

When the classes were originally listed, COVID restrictions were observed. Now that the emergency is over, classroom capacities can get back to normal.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For actual Rookies ( of any age ) I continue to recommend the traditional in person class .

For people who are knowledgeable and experienced , and just need a particular piece of paper , the Texas online is exponentially less hassle than Maryland's split system .

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    For actual Rookies ( of any age ) I continue to recommend the traditional in person class .

For people who are knowledgeable and experienced , and just need a particular piece of paper , the Texas online is exponentially less hassle than Maryland's split system .

ATTENTION (Military, Law Enforcement and Certain Handgun Permit Holders):

The Maryland Natural Resources Police Hunter Education Program is now offering exemptions to the internet field day workshop. The following exemptions are for students that have completed Maryland's hunter education course via online and qualify under one of the following professions/trainings:
    • Active-duty or honorably discharged members of the U.S. military who are stationed in the state of Maryland or who are Maryland residents.
    • Any current or retired law enforcement officer from the state of Maryland (must hold, or have previously held, a Maryland Police Training and Standards Commission Police Officer Certification, and employed and/or retired from a Maryland law enforcement agency. Please note special police officer certifications are not accepted).
    • Any person that holds a current, state of Maryland Permit to Carry a Handgun, issued by the Maryland State Police.

See the link below for details:
    https://dnr.maryland.gov/nrp/Pages/exemption-information.aspx

Not to mention Maryland also offers specialty Hunter Education Classes.

If you are going somewhere (Montana, Maine, Canada, etc..) and they require a hunter education class in that discipline (i.e. Bow Hunting), you can learn it here at home.

https://register-ed.com/programs/maryland/91-maryland-specialty-hunter-education-courses

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I attended the BCC IWLA class about 5 years ago with my daughter. Well run, good presentations, and a nice facility.

The B-CC IWLA chapter is hosting its first semi-annual hunter education class in two years on the second weekend of this coming September !!!
    • Saturday, September 11th & Sunday, September 12th
    • 8:00am sharp to 4:00pm each day
    • This two-day class is free of charge
    • The class is open to members & non-members
    • Attendees who successfully complete this class will receive MD Hunter Safety certification

MD Hunter Safety certification is recognized nationwide and around the world !!!
    • All new hunters must complete a hunter safety certification program to be eligible to purchase a valid hunting license of any kind
    • The B-CC chapter encourages hunters who are exempt from hunter safety certification due to grandfather clauses to take the class as well
    • Hunters of all levels of experience who completed a safety course in the past may find benefit & piece of mind by refreshing their hunter education training
    Typically, the age-range of a hunter education class runs from 6-75 years of age

Prospective attendees must enroll through the Register-Ed.com website:
    • In your browser, navigate to https://register-ed.com/
    • Ensure that "Maryland" is selected as your desired state
    When you click on "Maryland" on the screen, your browser will take you to a menu of courses offered
    • Find "Hunter Education Classroom Course"
    • Click on "Find Upcoming Events"
    • Find the September 11th class at the "BCC - Poolesville IWLA" location
    • Click on View Event"
    • Click on the "Register Now" button to register
    • Fill-in you registration & contact details
    • Click "Next" to verify registration details
    • Choose the option to add an additional person to the registration or
    • "Continue to Step 2" to complete the registration
    Once you have enrolled in B-CC IWLA's September 11th class, mark the date on your calendar and then wait for further email announcements

You can cancel your enrollment at any time if needed, but please do so at least a week ahead of time so that another student may occupy that spot

Students should bring a lunch and an enthusiastic learning attitude. The state of Maryland will provide all instructional materials for the class

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks for the link.

Signed up for the class at Mayberry at the beginning of August. Wish I could make the drive down to Sanner's Lake again, but 5 hours on the road two days in a row would be tough.

My son still talks about the class you put on, and he will be attending this one too as a refresher.

Well, Mayberry was a bust. The presenter was way too serious, way too full of himself, and his response to a guy was comical. Parents were not allowed to accompany children during the field trials. Parents were not allowed to read any of the exam to children. The only person that could speak to exam takers during the test were the instructors. My daughter and I walked out after 15 minutes into the course.

Let's get back to the comedy though. So, they are talking about the requirements for the course. Written exam. Field exercises. Fire three live rounds from a .22lr. A guy who seemed a little off to me as I walked in with him, raises his hand to ask a question. "Sir, I have a question. If I am on probation and I am prohibited from possessing a firearm, can I still do the live fire portion of the course? If I have to do the live fire portion of the course, can we just turn a blind eye?" I am paraphrasing because he was less than this eloquent. Then, he says, "Sh&^, I can drop a deer from 100 yards, but I am just not allowed to use guns." Instructor then tells him he will call the supervisor to see if the student needs to do that portion of the exam. Felt like saying, how about asking if my daughter has to actually take the written exam because she has anxiety issues.

After a big long speech on ethics and how there are two 8 year olds and a 9 year old taking the class, do you think anything was said about this other moron dropping an S bomb?

Halfway home, my daughter starts asking me about probation, why the guy is not allowed to possess a firearm, etc.

Only regret is that my daughter missed a soccer skills practice tonight for this catastrophe.

Should have signed up for both Mayberry and Sanner's Lake. My son still talks about his experience at Sanner's Lake to this day. Silver lining from today, I will not put myself on the wait list for the Mayberry range. The more thought that goes into this, the more it appears Littlestown is the place for me. That or my own 100 acres somewhere.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Well, Mayberry was a bust. The presenter was way too serious, way too full of himself, and his response to a guy was comical. Parents were not allowed to accompany children during the field trials. Parents were not allowed to read any of the exam to children. The only person that could speak to exam takers during the test were the instructors. My daughter and I walked out after 15 minutes into the course.

Let's get back to the comedy though. So, they are talking about the requirements for the course. Written exam. Field exercises. Fire three live rounds from a .22lr. A guy who seemed a little off to me as I walked in with him, raises his hand to ask a question. "Sir, I have a question. If I am on probation and I am prohibited from possessing a firearm, can I still do the live fire portion of the course? If I have to do the live fire portion of the course, can we just turn a blind eye?" I am paraphrasing because he was less than this eloquent. Then, he says, "Sh&^, I can drop a deer from 100 yards, but I am just not allowed to use guns." Instructor then tells him he will call the supervisor to see if the student needs to do that portion of the exam. Felt like saying, how about asking if my daughter has to actually take the written exam because she has anxiety issues.

After a big long speech on ethics and how there are two 8 year olds and a 9 year old taking the class, do you think anything was said about this other moron dropping an S bomb?

Halfway home, my daughter starts asking me about probation, why the guy is not allowed to possess a firearm, etc.

Only regret is that my daughter missed a soccer skills practice tonight for this catastrophe.

Should have signed up for both Mayberry and Sanner's Lake. My son still talks about his experience at Sanner's Lake to this day. Silver lining from today, I will not put myself on the wait list for the Mayberry range. The more thought that goes into this, the more it appears Littlestown is the place for me. That or my own 100 acres somewhere.

BCCIWLA or WAC IWLA (in Damascus).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually an interesting point , convicted felons can still bow hunt , but require a Hunter Safety .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom