• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    A different approach to gas port alignment. The pin gage is .101", the same size as the gas port. My Teslong boresope didn't give a clear view so I drilled an access hole. MicroMOA (now defunct) used to do this on their adjustable gas blocks. I'll install a set screw later for support.

Attachments

• GasPortAlignment_small.jpg
      GasPortAlignment_small.jpg
      46.4 KB · Views: 291

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I have the Teslong bore scope too and yeah, this is the one thing it doesnt do well. Check out Chads youtube channel, he has a work around for this issue.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I have the Teslong bore scope too and yeah, this is the one thing it doesnt do well. Check out Chads youtube channel, he has a work around for this issue.

That does look like a good solution. Of course, I saw the video about a half hour after I finished the job.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Set screw blocks are easy, get a dimple jig, you will always have a dimple centered exactly opposite of the gas port, and line up with the set screw away from the muzzle. Can always use "the spaghetti trick". Put a peice of thin spaghetti in the gas port bottomed on the far side bore and snap ot off. Put the gas block in place, more it in position upside down, the spaghetti will fall into the gas path in the block, move.it around and center it. When all is well, snap it through the bore with a cleaning rod, let the peices fall out.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Set screw blocks are easy, get a dimple jig, you will always have a dimple centered exactly opposite of the gas port, and line up with the set screw away from the muzzle. Can always use "the spaghetti trick". Put a peice of thin spaghetti in the gas port bottomed on the far side bore and snap ot off. Put the gas block in place, more it in position upside down, the spaghetti will fall into the gas path in the block, move.it around and center it. When all is well, snap it through the bore with a cleaning rod, let the peices fall out.

Couldn't find any pasta large enough for a .101" gas port.

And I don't have a dimple jig for a .875" gas block journal.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Consider doing the same thing you did and have always wondered why it isn’t that way

Did you adjust your Teslong camera by moving the mirror? Illuminating through the gas block also helps. With a couple tweaks the Teslong camera works great for this.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423

and it works.... how many have little pieces left in the box, I know
    some just dump the box in the pot.

-Rock

csxt602

Oct 29, 2020
    Essex, MD
    Illuminating through the gas block also helps. With a couple tweaks the Teslong camera works great for this.

I did this a few weeks ago to check the gas port/block alignment on my son's AR, and it worked like a charm. That's the one issue that Chad from SOTAR mentioned with the Teslong scopes, the fact that they didn't illuminate into the gas port to check the block alignment.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    It definitely works better, but I've been able to get it done pretty easily with the built in lights. The trick is to screw the mirror down closer to in effect move the focus further away from the camera.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I’ve found a pretty good way to align the gas ports in the barrel and gas block. It’s easier to look at the pictures than to describe what’s happening. The pictures are out of order too.

I get a piece of rod that is the diameter of the hole they drilled for the gas port in the gas block. Sometimes it’s the size of the tap drill for the 10-32 screw. I stick this in the gas block and scribe how much of the can fit on the blind size of the gas block. Usually it’s like 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch or so.
    I cut it off and give it a cone on one side. A lathe is nice but a drill press and file will also work.

I put the little plug in the far side of the gas block. I then install the block on the barrel. I get it approximately aligned and then push the end of the plug that I can see through the gas tube home into the barrel gas port. It will self align. I then can tighten the set screws.

Attachments

• F8DB3A6B-8CA6-4D34-B379-721E7A6F7593.jpeg
      F8DB3A6B-8CA6-4D34-B379-721E7A6F7593.jpeg
      36.8 KB · Views: 83
    • 9AFEEA14-2122-41D1-8B14-38D541E58ED8.jpg
      9AFEEA14-2122-41D1-8B14-38D541E58ED8.jpg
      46.7 KB · Views: 84
    • 115DAEB5-B19F-4C08-B192-E0C5A9A58CC3.jpg
      115DAEB5-B19F-4C08-B192-E0C5A9A58CC3.jpg
      43 KB · Views: 82
    • 47DBC2E3-B6FA-4647-8C83-6B797C46B376.jpg
      47DBC2E3-B6FA-4647-8C83-6B797C46B376.jpg