Turnaround time on VA nonresident permits?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hey all-
    Looks like I will be spending some time up in PA for work at the end of Feb.
    It'd be nice to be able to carry while I am there, as I will be in an isolated, out of the way area.

I don't have any permits at all right now, though I have been meaning to get them. The obvious one (to me) is VA, because they are next door, though I know FL would work as well.

I doubt that there would be any way I would be able to get it turned around in time now, but out of curiosity, for those that have them, how long did your VA permit take to come through?

Thanks!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Hey all-
    Looks like I will be spending some time up in PA for work at the end of Feb.
    It'd be nice to be able to carry while I am there, as I will be in an isolated, out of the way area.

I don't have any permits at all right now, though I have been meaning to get them. The obvious one (to me) is VA, because they are next door, though I know FL would work as well.

I doubt that there would be any way I would be able to get it turned around in time now, but out of curiosity, for those that have them, how long did your VA permit take to come through?

Thanks!

Exactly 30 days.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hmmmm.... that's MUCH faster than I would have thought.

Maybe I should get my application in now anyways just on the off chance it comes back that fast. I don't suppose that the MSP online "class" that you have to take to buy a regulated firearm counts for their training requirement, does it? I don't think I have any written proof of the classes I took way back when.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Hmmmm.... that's MUCH faster than I would have thought.

Maybe I should get my application in now anyways just on the off chance it comes back that fast. I don't suppose that the MSP online "class" that you have to take to buy a regulated firearm counts for their training requirement, does it? I don't think I have any written proof of the classes I took way back when.

I used the card I received from watching the video in the gun store. VA does not appear to be as strict as FL about the certification.FL wants a card with an written signature on it apparently. You could call VSP and ask if it would work. I am guessing it would.

J.Q.Citizen

Jan 8, 2010
    Atlanta GA
    I used the Maryland handgun training card that you mentioned, and then to be safe my Maryland Hunters education card. I know they will accept the latter but I do not see why they would not accept it. Their application states any handgun training education administered by a police department is acceptable

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    For those that have done VA permits - from looking on their website, they say you need to write them to request an application packet, but then they provide a downloadable version of everything as well, except for the fingerprint card.

Has anyone done this by just downloading the forms and sending them in with an MSP fingerprint card? Or do you need to write to them, wait for them to send the stuff to you, and then send it back?

I may call them and ask this question, but I figured I would ask and see if any members have direct experience with this also.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    For those that have done VA permits - from looking on their website, they say you need to write them to request an application packet, but then they provide a downloadable version of everything as well, except for the fingerprint card.

Has anyone done this by just downloading the forms and sending them in with an MSP fingerprint card? Or do you need to write to them, wait for them to send the stuff to you, and then send it back?

I may call them and ask this question, but I figured I would ask and see if any members have direct experience with this also.

I think you must use the VSP fingerprint card, as it has FBI numbers on that identify the card as VSP.Since you need the fingerprint card from VSP, what is to be gained by downloading the forms beforehand? Don't use an MSP card. Won't be accepted. They will send you the entire packet within a week after requesting it. I did it by email.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Don't use an MSP card. Won't be accepted. They will send you the entire packet within a week after requesting it. I did it by email.

That's what I was asking.

I figured that if they would take an MSP or other card, I would go to my local precinct, which is about 2 minutes from my house, get the prints done, print out the form, get it notarized at work tomorrow, and send it, which would save me several days of turnaround time waiting for them to mail me the VSP card.

I was only thinking about it because my trip is the last week of Feb. I don't think I will be able to get the permit in time, but hey, you never know...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That's what I was asking.

I figured that if they would take an MSP or other card, I would go to my local precinct, which is about 2 minutes from my house, get the prints done, print out the form, get it notarized at work tomorrow, and send it, which would save me several days of turnaround time waiting for them to mail me the VSP card.

I was only thinking about it because my trip is the last week of Feb. I don't think I will be able to get the permit in time, but hey, you never know...

IIRC, each state's fingerprint card had some boxes prefilled with their specific state info for FBI processing. That's why each state must provide the fingerprint card. You may just get under the wire for your trip if you get everything done quickly, but using an MSP card will definitely get it rejected. Even if it didn't get back before you leave, you'd still have the permit for next trip.

Go for it.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I reguested my application packet by e mail. Recieved it 3 days later.
    Today will be 22 days since it was sent in for processing. Took about a week before notice came they cashed my check.
    I'll post the date my ccw permit is recieved.
    I plan to use mine mostlly in WV:)

J.Brown

Apr 3, 2008
    Hampstead

I called and asked them that exact question, no you can not use MSP cards, you have to use the VSP cards. i asked because i could have had electronic prints done for free, but noooo, gotta be VSP.

celzey

Sep 26, 2009
    Easton
    I got my Florida permit last month and it took 17 days fom the day I mailed it to the day I had the permit back in my hand.

IjustCantAim

Jan 20, 2010
    I got my Florida permit last month and it took 17 days fom the day I mailed it to the day I had the permit back in my hand.
    I mailed mine saturday. Kinda nervous though. The leo that fingerprinted me put his name and address in the employer section. it says to leave it blank. What do you guys think? Will i have to redo it?

Tom43491

Dec 9, 2009
    Timonium
    How confident, or unconfident, should I be that HB52 will pass and become law? Wondering if I should bother to apply for a VA permit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom