• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I love these knives and they're perfectly legal to buy and carry because they aren't switchblades. Maybe we can even get switchblades re-legalized since we have much faster knives these days! I know they've been talked about here before but I want to show 3 common examples that are available.
    At least 3 companies- Emerson, Spyderco, and Cold Steel are making folding pocket knives with a special hook on top of the blade(called "wave blades") originally developed by Emerson knives. These knives can catch the edge of your pocket as you pull it out allowing you to open them in the blink of an eye, much faster than any switchblade, butterfly knife, or assisted opening knife.
    Notice how the pocket clips are all in the "tip-up" carrying position. Carrying the knife tip-up in your pocket is the only way the wave feature will work. Shown from top to bottom are the Emerson CQC-7(around $150), the Spyderco Endura(around $100), and the Cold Steel first generation AK-47(around $60). There are several different knives available from each maker with the wave feature and there are even fakes out there too that are much cheaper. You can also make your own wave opener if you find a knife with a thumb hole in the blade, just put a zip tie on that thumb hole but make sure it has a pocket clip for tip-up carrying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK6lOTz1Ebs

Attachments

• fastest.jpg
      fastest.jpg
      110.8 KB · Views: 1,628
    • fastest1.jpg
      fastest1.jpg
      95.3 KB · Views: 1,600

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    I may be in the minority of the "average" knife user, but the wave blade method of deployment isn't 100% full proof to be dependent on for SD. If the hook does not catch correctly then the knife doesn't deploy.

This is not a "mechanical" issue as much as it is how the knife deploys and the sturdiness of your pocket material, how the pocket is laid out and of course the user execution in deploying the knife. If the knife isn't drawn straight up and back so that the wave hook catches cleanly then you are just pulling out a closed blade or even worse a partially open blade that opened in your pocket.

I can deploy most of my tip up folders with the same speed and more reliability than the wave featured knifes and not worry about ripping the hell out of my pants pocket. I still own an Emerson wave and it's a great knife but I only carry it and deploy using wave feature if I was wearing heavy duty jeans. Of course tight pocket clips probably cause more pocket wear than anything else and when combined with the wave deployment can have you replacing pants more frequently.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    Yeah, my pockets have been taking a beating with my knives lately. I definitely need to loosen some of the clips.

The cold steel knife looks really bulky and thick. I prefer the Endura for it's slim unobtrusive profile.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    The cold stEAl is a unlicensed copy.

I like the wave, and have an emerson, but do not trust the system for self defense. The only knife I trust for self defense is a fixed blade.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I'll stick with the spring assist. I haven't messed with other brands of assisted knives, but I know the Benchmades are lightning fast and some are easier to deploy then autos. The wave seems to depend on other factors, and I agree it may not be as reliable as a spring assist that only depends on you using your thumb.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I may be in the minority of the "average" knife user, but the wave blade method of deployment isn't 100% full proof to be dependent on for SD. If the hook does not catch correctly then the knife doesn't deploy.

This is not a "mechanical" issue as much as it is how the knife deploys and the sturdiness of your pocket material, how the pocket is laid out and of course the user execution in deploying the knife. If the knife isn't drawn straight up and back so that the wave hook catches cleanly then you are just pulling out a closed blade or even worse a partially open blade that opened in your pocket.

I can deploy most of my tip up folders with the same speed and more reliability than the wave featured knifes and not worry about ripping the hell out of my pants pocket. I still own an Emerson wave and it's a great knife but I only carry it and deploy using wave feature if I was wearing heavy duty jeans. Of course tight pocket clips probably cause more pocket wear than anything else and when combined with the wave deployment can have you replacing pants more frequently.

Good points. Practice is important with any self defense tool including knives and can help improve the odds that you will use that tool properly if a self defense situation arises. Luckily I've never had problems with knives wearing out my pants but I can see how it can happen.
    Many companies seem not to care about putting rough handle material directly under the pocket clip.
    I had a cold steel voyager with this problem so I smoothed out the handle under the clip with a file and some sandpaper. It's much easier on the pocket now.

njbroug

Feb 6, 2009
    Laurel
    This idea has been around for a while. I bought a blade in Iraq in 2005 from AAFES that has "knobs" (can't think of a better way to describe them) on each side of the base of the blade that serve the exact same function.

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    They fail miserably in the Folder into the Fight Drill. When you draw the knife you have a pinch grip at best, going to be even worst at 220 BPM under combat stress when you loose tactile sensation. You need to some how get a usable grip on the knife from there. Not to mention if you are up against vertical surface or on your back your elbow cannot travel to the rear, therefor you cannot wave the knife.

When ever you try to deploy the knife from the pocket and deploy the blade at the same time the percentage of failing at one is multiplied. Just an FYI- George

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Very nice Emerson. They make excellent blades. I don't consider many folding knives as fighting knives, but Emerson's quality puts them in that catagory for me.

May 13, 2005
    Columbia River Knife and Tool (CRKT) M16-14SF or SFA, as well as the lighter variant M16-13SF or SFA.

The -14 is great for jeans, the -13 is lighter and better for dress pants.

Carried those for many years and have never failed me. The pocket draw/open sequence has worked just fine, even under stressful conditions. Can find them for about $90 and $60 respectively.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    CRKT has some interesting selections, over the years I've gone back and checked out their products and it's always changing. They have so many different designs offered now, from Ron Lake, Ken Onion, Kit Carson.. and probably a dozen other designers I haven't heard of.

Personally (my opinion, YMMV) I think most of their designs are interesting, but not very functional. I think they cater more to the collector of mid-range knives who wants unique pieces, or pieces made by particular designers they admire. Only a handful of their products are really suited to any serious knife-tasks, be it survival/bushcraft or fighting. Many have design flaws or shortcomings (again, my opinion) that make them ill-suited for those applications.

My personal CRKT favorite is a gentleman folder called the Delegate, http://www.crkt.com/Delegate-EDC-Bl...les-Razor-Sharp-Edge-OutBurst-Fire-Safe-Knife; has assisted opening, is slim and smooth, would conceal nicely in suit pants or a jacket and not raise eyebrows when pulled for a basic cutting task at a dinner party. The fine point allows for detail work which is great for a knife of this type. Under 3oz and decent steel for $60.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    You can turn any pocket knife that you already own that has a thumbhole in the blade into a Wave design blade with just a wire tie. Plenty of vidoes on youtube about it.

I just go with my Benchmade AFO II

BM9051SBK-2T.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom