• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Buddy of mine works at one of the bars in Powerplant in downtown Baltimore City; got a txt and call not long ago, apparently a group of 7-8 males were in one of the newer establishments, 'PBR Bar,' when one of them was riding the mechanical bull and his shirt lifted up, exposing a pistol in his waistband. The group was subsequently detained, and multiple pistols were found. AFAIK they were all taken in for booking. Needless to say they did not have carry permits.

What fun. :sad20:

JMBmadness

Aug 18, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I always have a good time at power plant... Last time I went there one of the bouncers at Mex's had me put my knife in my pocket because the clip was visible. Surprised people managed to sneak guns in... Thats not in the bad part of Baltimore anyways

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Bars in bel air always take my knife at the door and give it to me as I exit the building for the evening. I've never said "no" but I wonder if they have the right to refuse service if I was not willing to give up my knife?

I am not a big fan of giving it up because its a randall knife and they don't come cheap.

military3-big.jpg

A fixed blade knife like that is considered a dangerous weapon per MD law. It's kinda sketch to carry one to begin with, although technically legal, and it can't be concealed among other regs. 'Self defense' is not considered a legitimate reason to carry one, and thus unless you're carrying it for say, a job related purpose, there's probably a good shot of many cops taking you for a ride. That probably totally depends on where you are, but I know it wouldn't fly in a lot of places.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    (5) (i) "Weapon" includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku.

(c) Prohibited.-
    (1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.

jsl1106

Dec 7, 2008
    Perryville, MD
    It was issued to me from the military upon completion of a course. If the sheath is on the inside of my pants pocket and its only noticeable if I lift my shirt up whats the big deal? Its legal to own/carry and any police department who arrested someone for doing so would have a lawsuit on their ass quicker than they could book me for breaking a law that doesn't exist.

Very Illegal!

Maryland, updated July 2, 2004

§ 4-101. Dangerous weapons.

(a) Definitions.-
    (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated. (2) "Nunchaku" means a device constructed of two pieces of any substance, including wood, metal, or plastic, connected by any chain, rope, leather, or other flexible material not exceeding 24 inches in length.
    (3) (i) "Pepper mace" means an aerosol propelled combination of highly disabling irritant pepper-based products.
    (ii) "Pepper mace" is also known as oleoresin capsicum (o.c.) spray.
    (4) "Star knife" means a device used as a throwing weapon, consisting of several sharp or pointed blades arrayed as radially disposed arms about a central disk.
    (5) (i) "Weapon" includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku.
    (ii) "Weapon" does not include:
    1. a handgun; or
    2. a penknife without a switchblade.

(b) Exceptions for certain individuals.- This section does not prohibit the following individuals from carrying a weapon:
    (1) an officer of the State, or of any county or municipal corporation of the State, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the officer's official equipment, or by any conservator of the peace, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the conservator's official equipment, or by any officer or conservator of the peace of another state who is temporarily in this State;
    (2) a special agent of a railroad;
    (3) a holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article; or
    (4) an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case.

(c) Prohibited.-
    (1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.
    (2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    It was issued to me from the military upon completion of a course. If the sheath is on the inside of my pants pocket and its only noticeable if I lift my shirt up whats the big deal? Its legal to own/carry and any police department who arrested someone for doing so would have a lawsuit on their ass quicker than they could book me for breaking a law that doesn't exist.

2010 Maryland Code
    CRIMINAL LAW
    TITLE 4 - WEAPON CRIMES
    Subtitle 1 - General Provisions
    Section 4-101 - Dangerous weapons.

(a) Definitions.-

(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.

(2) "Nunchaku" means a device constructed of two pieces of any substance, including wood, metal, or plastic, connected by any chain, rope, leather, or other flexible material not exceeding 24 inches in length.

(3) (i) "Pepper mace" means an aerosol propelled combination of highly disabling irritant pepper-based products.

(ii) "Pepper mace" is also known as oleoresin capsicum (o.c.) spray.

(4) "Star knife" means a device used as a throwing weapon, consisting of several sharp or pointed blades arrayed as radially disposed arms about a central disk.

(ii) "Weapon" does not include:

1. a handgun; or

2. a penknife without a switchblade.

(b) Exceptions for certain individuals.- This section does not prohibit the following individuals from carrying a weapon:

(1) an officer of the State, or of any county or municipal corporation of the State, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the officer's official equipment, or by any conservator of the peace, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the conservator's official equipment, or by any officer or conservator of the peace of another state who is temporarily in this State;

(2) a special agent of a railroad;

(3) a holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article; or

(4) an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case.

(c) Prohibited.-

(2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.

(3) (i) This paragraph applies in Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Caroline County, Cecil County, Harford County, Kent County, Montgomery County, Prince George's County, St. Mary's County, Talbot County, Washington County, and Worcester County.

(ii) A minor may not carry a dangerous weapon between 1 hour after sunset and 1 hour before sunrise, whether concealed or not, except while:

1. on a bona fide hunting trip; or

2. engaged in or on the way to or returning from a bona fide trap shoot, sport shooting event, or any organized civic or military activity.

(d) Penalties.-

(1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $1,000 or both.

(2) For a person convicted under subsection (c)(1) or (2) of this section, if it appears from the evidence that the weapon was carried, concealed or openly, with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another, the court shall impose the highest sentence of imprisonment prescribed.

Have fun with that.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    I don't think the arresting officer and the DA will really care about your definition, but hey if you have the spare money and time go for it.

jsl1106

Dec 7, 2008
    Perryville, MD
    Define a weapon. To me its a tool. Weren't those 4 years of pre-law worth it? LOL

it does define a weappon:

Your life, place your bet and take your chances!

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Define a weapon. To me its a tool. Weren't those 4 years of pre-law worth it? LOL

(a) Definitions.-

Clear enough? Case law has clearly established all fixed-blade knives to fall under this definition.

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    Only safe part of baltimore is directly in front of the person shooting at you because we know those hood rats can't aim for shit. Hence the weekly innocent bystander being shot story ran on the news.
    Only safe part of Baltimore is when you see the whole city on your rearview mirror.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    regardless of where you were given the knife it is not allowed, I was given a handgun from the Special Operations Association does that mean I can carry it where ever I want?
    Also, a private establishment has the right to refuse service to you if you do not follow the rules it sets (especially since this has noting to do with race/creed/sexual orientation)

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    Bars in bel air always take my knife at the door and give it to me as I exit the building for the evening. I've never said "no" but I wonder if they have the right to refuse service if I was not willing to give up my knife?

I am not a big fan of giving it up because its a randall knife and they don't come cheap.

military3-big.jpg

Absolutely they do. They own the place and should probably have a notice at the door.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Those 7-8 people can plan on enjoying an all expenses paid vacation for a couple of years in the fine state of Maryland. Possibly in the beautiful mountains of Western Maryland.

#WINNING

My money is on a PBJ or short suspended sentence.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Buddy of mine works at one of the bars in Powerplant in downtown Baltimore City; got a txt and call not long ago, apparently a group of 7-8 males were in one of the newer establishments, 'PBR Bar,' when one of them was riding the mechanical bull and his shirt lifted up, exposing a pistol in his waistband. The group was subsequently detained, and multiple pistols were found. AFAIK they were all taken in for booking. Needless to say they did not have carry permits.

What fun. :sad20:

I remember when a story contained "riding the mechanical bull" and "shirt lifted up", it was followed by "Boobs!"...

Sad how times have changed... :mad54:

Jamie

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom