• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    I am thinking about buying one - a quality OTF. My thinking - drive to a state that sells them legally to non-LEO (complies with Federal law) and buy it there and keep it on my property and not barter/not carry/sell it or offer to sell it in the state (complies with MD State law.) I think this should satisfy the "okay to possess" but "not do anything really with it" as I read 4-105.

Anyone have any recommendations of where to go? I saw WV was legal as were the Carolinas. Looking for something in a reasonable drive from Central MD.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Check out www.bladeplay.com and prepare to drool.
    I've seen some autos for sale lately at the Nation's gun show and at the Upper Marlboro gun show but I don't know how legal it is to buy them there(if it really matters).
    Good luck with your search!

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Yes, It is legal for us Marylanders to now own auto knives. I purchased a Spyderco auto
    from SEARS Online! I also bought a Microtech from BLADEHQ. They shipped right to door, no questions.

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I was planning to spend some dollars ($400+) to get a quality item really for a curio or to possibly start collecting knives - no definitive plans at the moment.

The state law says "barter ... or offer to barter." Since I wouldn't sell any knife in state lines or through the USPS, I have to figure whomever is selling them is breaking the law if selling them inside state lines... that seems pretty cut and dry to me. However, bartering is defined as "Exchange (goods or services) for other goods or services without using money." MD Code doesn't say anything about possession (other than public carry) inside the home or for collection.

Obviously this is a subtle "grandfather" clause with respect to these knives, but you never know how the police or DA's might pervert "barter" to mean you trying to buy one in state lines. Just more Maryland law ambiguity.

I am thinking my OP has the only 100% legal way for sure of doing this for me.

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    Yes, It is legal for us Marylanders to now own auto knives. I purchased a Spyderco auto
    from SEARS Online! I also bought a Microtech from BLADEHQ. They shipped right to door, no questions.

Are you law enforcement? When I read the federal statue (albeit from 1958), that shouldn't be allowed unless you fall within a very specific criteria which most people are not. Maybe its just not enforceable due to the patchwork state laws and the internet and the feds have bigger fish to fry... or it is the implied responsibility of the purchaser to follow the law which doesn't protect you unless you have an exemption per the Fed Code.

I know the chances are slim and I am over analyzing this, but I have too much professionally and firearm related to worry about potential Federal Law infractions. Since I don't need an OTF knife - rather just want one - I want to make sure I am 100% safe, pay with cash, etc.

I remember Joe Curran (former AG) and his disdain for gun owners in this state. Threatening to sue dealers in Federal Court, getting warrants for customer lists from MD from mail order/internet resellers, etc... I would prefer to not be on Sears or any other companies mailing list if some Fed wakes up and realizes that kids can buy switchblades from Walmart.com (I don't know that to be true... just an example.) Remember - its for the children!!!! :)

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    It is legal to own a switchblade knife in Maryland. A person can't sell them or carry them concealed. (Got any 30 rd Mags?) I am a collector and appreciate handcrafted weapons
    of all types. I am not buying $25 stilettos, but if those are legal to own so be it. If you
    check into knives you will find a Cottage Industry has sprung up converting quality knives to autos. The laws are being challenged regarding these knives and therefore sales are rising.
    Have you noticed the auto knives being sold at gun shows lately? If you don't feel comfortable purchasing one that is fine. If you are considering one look into a older
    MicroTech (Early 90's) they are a good investment. The company is now trying to build AR's and have let the knife quality slide.

D2nds

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I thought that only LEO, EMT related fields, and military can purchase these weapons at least in Maryland. However I am not positive on this by any means.

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    I wonder how they would make me prove it as nobody is supposed to be allowed to photocopy a military ID.:cool:

There are ways around that. My wife works NSA and sends an email from her work address to "prove" her military status.

We've had to find work arounds for online businesses, and that was the best way we could find.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Are you law enforcement? When I read the federal statue (albeit from 1958), that shouldn't be allowed unless you fall within a very specific criteria which most people are not. Maybe its just not enforceable due to the patchwork state laws and the internet and the feds have bigger fish to fry... or it is the implied responsibility of the purchaser to follow the law which doesn't protect you unless you have an exemption per the Fed Code.

I know the chances are slim and I am over analyzing this, but I have too much professionally and firearm related to worry about potential Federal Law infractions. Since I don't need an OTF knife - rather just want one - I want to make sure I am 100% safe, pay with cash, etc.

I remember Joe Curran (former AG) and his disdain for gun owners in this state. Threatening to sue dealers in Federal Court, getting warrants for customer lists from MD from mail order/internet resellers, etc... I would prefer to not be on Sears or any other companies mailing list if some Fed wakes up and realizes that kids can buy switchblades from Walmart.com (I don't know that to be true... just an example.) Remember - its for the children!!!! :)

Don't worry, I believe you are completely correct in your reading and interpretation of MD and Federal law. I too reached the same conclusions as yourself after pouring it over with an attorney. Better safe than sorry.

Had any luck finding a brick and mortar store outside the state? I believe sale is legal in WV for example. I've been drooling over the BM Bedlam for a while (I own the non-auto version).

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Bump:

Bought my Benchmade AFO II, AUTO, TANTO (info from box) from an online retailer without having to prove a damned thing about who I may work for.

It arrived last week after being back-ordered for five weeks.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Bump:

Bought my Benchmade AFO II, AUTO, TANTO (info from box) from an online retailer without having to prove a damned thing about who I may work for.

It arrived last week after being back-ordered for five weeks.

Congratulations, you participated in a criminal act. People getting away with selling inter-state doesn't make it legal.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Congratulations, you participated in a criminal act. People getting away with selling inter-state doesn't make it legal.

I think law enforcement in America have much more important things to do than enforce useless knife bans.
    Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my switchblades...:innocent0

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Though tempted by the thought of an auto knife, I don't wish to carry one, since if I need to use it in self-defense I'd end up in the wrong.

So I bought a Benchmade 710, and adjusted the hinge tension to the point where I just pull back the lock and the blade swings out freely. I can open it with a flick of the wrist, or hold it point-down and it will open once I pull back the lock button, or swing it out with the thumb stud - but the lock-button deploy is faster and easier.

And according to MD state law, it's a pen knife, 3.9" blade and all.

Sweet.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    BEnchmade won't sell or repair them unless you are a LEO or active military and they will make you prove it. BTDT

But if you take it to a Benchmade dealer, the dealer can send it in for repair and such. You already own the knife, which is legal, so no laws get broken. I know I personally am not going to question where you bought it.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Don't worry, I believe you are completely correct in your reading and interpretation of MD and Federal law. I too reached the same conclusions as yourself after pouring it over with an attorney. Better safe than sorry.

Had any luck finding a brick and mortar store outside the state? I believe sale is legal in WV for example. I've been drooling over the BM Bedlam for a while (I own the non-auto version).

I have a couple Bedlams in stock, and have one of my own. Super nice knife, but unfortunately my LEO buyers don't think of it as being politically correct looking for carry. I guess that is why I like it so much :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom