• dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I thought I would show off my .22

I converted this.

Umarex_HK_MP5_22lr_right.jpg

To this.

IMG_7764.jpg

Real HK G3 Iron drum sights added. The fake ones it replace were aluminum and was not anywhere near accurate.
    IMG_7768.jpg

I milled the front sight and a real HK front sight blade and was able to make it work. The sites that came with it caused me to have focusing issues.

IMG_7776-1.jpg

I was able to get a thread adapter for a Umarex HK416D to work so can remove the fake silencer.
    I have since added a muzzle break which made my shots tighter.
    IMG_7779.jpg

Last picture
    IMG_7767.jpg

I also added the real HK German boarder guard fore grip and a real HK fixed stock which is solid.

Overall this is a really nice rifle and now I made it even better. It has the accuracy of a good .22 and the comfort and maneuverability of the HK MP-5. I especially like the fact that so many real HK parts are adaptable to it with a little to no modification. Ever since I did these modifications random people at my range are approaching me wondering what kind of rifle it is. I like replicas but the fake silencer was really killing it for me. I think the last thing that needs to be done is a trigger job.
    I have shot over 900 rounds through it without any problems what so ever using both CCI minimag and Federal bulk. I decided to just shoot CCI from now onwards because there is a difference in accuracy that is worth the extra cost.

Last edited:

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I'm looking to pick one of these up on Sat. Glad you like it, I have high hopes for it. Nce job by the way,

It's really nice and I think you are going to like it. I compared it to a bobcat MP-5 and the guys at Umarex really did their homework. I just wish it was stamped steel and not aluminum but that would be asking for too much all things considered.

This should be the first thing you get for it because it's cheap in price and just works better then what comes with it.
    http://www.robertrtg.com/g3rearsight.html

When I was looking to purchase the rifle it was sold out everywhere except Atlantic Firearms. I hope they are in stock now and are getting popular just so I can finally get an extra magazine as everything for it is out of stock.

eurobuff

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 21, 2011
    Where did you purchase your Umarex MP-5 .22 ? I bought a Umarex HK 416 .22 but I want to add the MP-5 to my collection ASAP. Store where I bought the 416 from didn't carry the mp-5

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Nice job.

Now SBR it and get rid of the excess barrel!

Maybe next year. I have an AR build coming up and thats where my $200 is going.
    Right now I don't want to jinks it because I reached perfection.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Where did you purchase your Umarex MP-5 .22 ? I bought a Umarex HK 416 .22 but I want to add the MP-5 to my collection ASAP. Store where I bought the 416 from didn't carry the mp-5

I got it from Atlantic Firearms and had the Engage Armament do the transfer.
    They sent the 25rd magazine to my friends house in PA.

My brother in law just purchased the HK 416 version and I look forward to seeing the difference.
    I plan to make my AR build come close as possible in looks to the HK416 especially with the use of the iron drum sites.

eurobuff

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 21, 2011
    You had to do an FFL for the MP5? The Hk 416 .22lr isn't regulated. I walked in the store, checked it out, paid for it and walked out with it same day.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    You had to do an FFL for the MP5? The Hk 416 .22lr isn't regulated. I walked in the store, checked it out, paid for it and walked out with it same day.

I'm sorry I miss wrote, I just did a transfer. I bought it unregulated as well and picked it up the same day.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I went out to my friends range which was a little more liberal then the one I usually go to and was able to rapid fire at the pistol range and everything worked well.
    At the riffle range we set up small balloons no more then 5" in size at 150yd and 200yd and I was able to hit one of the balloons at 150yds using the no 3 diopter on the second shot!! It was not repeatable because it had taken seven shots afterwards to hit another balloon at that distance. At 200yds using diopter 4 I was able to hit one of the balloons after many tries.

This rifle if properly set up is more accurate then what most people give it credit for and the friend I was shooting with had a matched barrel Rugar with a scope and he was impressed with what my rifle can do with just iron sites.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I had an interesting experience last time I went out to the range. When I was breaking in the rifle I noticed that at times the bolt catch would not open all of the time after the last round so I backed out the bolt speed screw until it did. After most of the friction surfaces gave way it was operating very well however I notice a bit of unusual recoil so I turned in the bolt screw and the immediate recoil was gone. We are just talking about fractions of a second but it made a tremendous difference in the accuracy of the shot.

I have ordered a slip on grip that is made for the GSG in hopes that it will work and I am sending out my trigger group to Bill Springfield to improve trigger pull.
    After that no more modifications.

Last edited:

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Just a little update.
    I received my trigger group after having work done to it to it. The trigger has a lighter pull then before but not by much however there is no longer any creep and soon as the dead slack is taken up and you press on the trigger it fires crisp with no hesitation or anticipation, you know exactly where it breaks.

I went out to the range Friday and did not shoot as well as I thought I would because my eyes were fatigued so even though the trigger felt good my shots were off. I went back to the range in the morning well rested and I came back satisfied beyond my expectations and my shots have been the most accurate I have ever seen. :party29:

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    so the fake supressor hides the barrel that you have there, correct, you didn't change the barrel. Just took off the fake thing and added the thread protector?

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    so the fake supressor hides the barrel that you have there, correct, you didn't change the barrel. Just took off the fake thing and added the thread protector?

Yes that is correct. I used the Umarex HK416 optional threaded end and it bolted up like it was made for it. When I shot with it after the removal it had more kick to it and my shots were off so I added a muzzle break and now it feels like an air gun.

I come from the automotive world and a fake suppressor would be considered rice. I really like the MP-5 design but that can was a little over the top so I decided to make the rifle my own.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    how are these compared to the GSG's?

I only held a GSG and it felt more like a toy compared to the Umarex version.
    I compared the Umarex to my friends Bobcat and we were impressed with how close they were in design and weight but you can tell the Bobcat was better because of the metal used.

I have read some reviews comparing the GSG and the Umarex from owners that have both and they thought the Umarex was a better version in all areas.
    I am just happy that mine shoots accurately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom