• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    uhm what you observed and need in original post was violation of at least four laws including zoning.

1) it was not locked up

2) no one can sell, transfer give or loan ammo unless they are an FFL. The Walmart in DC is not according to BATFE.

By the way, when it come to sales over the net, see the "face to face" in that code?

FYI, Bass pro/cabelas in Va or Md, even if you show the a DC drivers license and are not a VA or Md resident, does not need to see your DC gun registration card. They do not need to pay attention to DC laws. But you need your registration card to drive over the line into DC with it.

Yes, totally illegal for Walmart in DC and its employees to possess and sell since they presumably aren’t “licensed dealers.”

However “licensed dealer” does NOT equal FFL in the DC code. It equals “licensed dealer pursuant to subchapter IV,” essentially; a ‘MPD licensed dealer.’ (§ 7–2504.01) Practically speaking they mean the same thing of course since there is only one (operating) 01 FFL and, as far as I know, only one DC “licensed dealer,” both of which are the same entity, currently DC SA. Hypothetically though, Walmart could be a “licensed dealer” without having a FFL and be able to sell ammo in DC, though selling guns would still be in violation of federal law without a 01 FFL.

Internet ammo sales to registration card holders are perfectly legal as § 7–2505.02 only applies to the activities of a "licensed dealer," and as you noted, DC can’t regulate outside their jurisdiction. However, if there was an ammo supplier in DC, they would only be able to sell to DC residents in person (§ 7–2505.02 (d)(1)), but they could still ship to nonresidents (§ 7–2505.02 (b)(1)).

DC could of course mess with internet ammo sales by regulating how a registration card holder may come into possession of ammunition within the District, but let’s not give them any ideas, and this statute is not that. I also suspect even they know that with zero legal sources of ammunition in the District they would be litigated into the position of not only continuing to allow internet ammo sales, but also writing SAF (another) hefty check, and potentially risking their onerous zoning laws of where a perspective ammo/firearms dealer can establish itself.

Last edited:

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    uhm what you observed and need in original post was violation of at least four laws including zoning.

1) it was not locked up

2) no one can sell, transfer give or loan ammo unless they are an FFL. The Walmart in DC is not according to BATFE.

By the way, when it come to sales over the net, see the "face to face" in that code?

FYI, Bass pro/cabelas in Va or Md, even if you show the a DC drivers license and are not a VA or Md resident, does not need to see your DC gun registration card. They do not need to pay attention to DC laws. But you need your registration card to drive over the line into DC with it.

I thought he was referring to me possessing the ammo being illegal not WalMart.
    Makes me glad that I didn't ask a manager if it was for sell because they might have noticed the mistake and took them off the floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom