• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Reticles are not always square to the elevation flat or to the flat on the base of the scope.

Levels are not 100% precise either and it’s noticeable on most store bought levels. You need to flip the level around 180 degrees to make sure it’s off by the same amount both ways.

Reticles of quality scopes are. Garbage scopes are not. Spend your money where you want. You get what you pay for.

Hoglaw

Apr 20, 2021
    Get her all mounted and torqued down to spec. Now just gotta find a 200 yd place to zero. I’d post pics, but can’t figure out how to to attach to my post.

Thanks again for the input and insight guys. Great enthusiast community here.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Get her all mounted and torqued down to spec. Now just gotta find a 200 yd place to zero. I’d post pics, but can’t figure out how to to attach to my post.

Thanks again for the input and insight guys. Great enthusiast community here.

1) Why do you want a 200 yard zero???

2) You don't need a 200 yard range to zero. You can zero on a 25 yard range is that is all you have.

I zero for 100 yards. With my .308 load, at 25 yards, I adjust the scope so the point of impact is 0.9 inches below the point of aim. And that will be a 100 yard zero.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    I have a level level level that you could use here in Gaithersburg and my FAT torque wrench to get your rig setup. I have a RPR myself and it was a breeze to work on.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    I have a level level level that you could use here in Gaithersburg and my FAT torque wrench to get your rig setup. I have a RPR myself and it was a breeze to work on.

Didn't finish reading entire thread that you got it up and mounted. Congrats and I agree that Hap Baker is a great place to stretch your rigs legs out to 200 yards.

Hoglaw

Apr 20, 2021
    1) Why do you want a 200 yard zero???

2) You don't need a 200 yard range to zero. You can zero on a 25 yard range is that is all you have.

I zero for 100 yards. With my .308 load, at 25 yards, I adjust the scope so the point of impact is 0.9 inches below the point of aim. And that will be a 100 yard zero.

I may explore a sub 200 yd range to zero, since it’s just a matter of math once you’ve zeroed in.

Reason and rationale for a 200 yd zero is because I hope to do long distance shooting. My scope has a zero stop that allows for 34 moa past the zero stop but only 1.25 moa inwards. So it makes sense to zero to 200, since I can easily dial in 100 yds inwards, and it gives me enough outward travel to (eventually) touch 1k yds.

Hoglaw

Apr 20, 2021
    Didn't finish reading entire thread that you got it up and mounted. Congrats and I agree that Hap Baker is a great place to stretch your rigs legs out to 200 yards.

Will check em out. I’ve been using NSSF’s range finder to find the longer distance ranges in my area (https://www.wheretoshoot.org/) but a lot of them require a membership, and not just a one time fee/pay as you go model. I prefer a one time fee model to (1) try out a few places before committing to a single range (since I’ll basically be driving an hour and back no matter where I end up), and (2) want to make sure I can commit the time necessary to make a membership worth it (again, each shooting outing will take 3 hours, including travel time).

Hoglaw

Apr 20, 2021

And kudos on the RPR. That’s the rifle I really wanted, but couldn’t justify the price. But I got a ruger american hunter and a mid level vortex scope for the same price as the RPR, so am happy with the long distance weapon system at a decent price point. And I have my shotgun mounted on the the same magpul chassis as the ruger Hunter and couldn’t be happier with the ergonomics, so hopeful it’ll work out.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I may explore a sub 200 yd range to zero, since it’s just a matter of math once you’ve zeroed in.

Reason and rationale for a 200 yd zero is because I hope to do long distance shooting. My scope has a zero stop that allows for 34 moa past the zero stop but only 1.25 moa inwards. So it makes sense to zero to 200, since I can easily dial in 100 yds inwards, and it gives me enough outward travel to (eventually) touch 1k yds.

Did you go with the 6.5 or 308? I would recommend zeroing at 100. With 34 moa, you should be able to dial out to roughly 1k yards. You'll also have a better zero since outside factors wont effect it as much.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

A scope has some much elevation range from stop to stop.

If you zero at 100, then zero at 200 with the same mount, the scope elevation will be at the same place in the range when shooting at 200.

You will just dial in the elevation change to 200.

You are assuming that your scope will zero at the current zero stop. Which is unlikely.

You REALLY want an adjustable zero stop, so you can set it for your actual zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom