• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ed Anger

Jan 16, 2021
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Friends, I have a scoped rifle that I'd like to put iron sights on. There are no screw holes for this purpose. It should be fun to shoot using raised rings. Do you have any advice for how I can get this done for a reasonable price or other advice? Thank you, Dave

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Bit of challenge to do that right. Which means $$.

What type of rifle is it?
    How thick is the barrel at the end? Need enough meat to put holes out there.
    Rear of the receiver have a clear location for a rear sight?

I would not do it if raised rings are your goal. They were popular years ago but I think most have learned that your head up off the stock to use the scope isn't an idea solution. Take it out and shoot it with your head an inch or so off the stock for a few mags or round, most find it less than ideal.

Just some words of caution as you may spend a fair amount to do this and not like the end result. Also, depending on the rifle it may be worth less when you're done than when you started.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Minor thread jack. Considering getting some sort of optic for my 590 but need the receiver drilled/tapped. What should I expect cost wise for this service?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Determine where you want to place the sights, measure the diameter of the barrel at the rear sight location and divide by 2.
    Pick a rear sight style that you can see over the rear of the receiver bridge.
    Add the height of the sight that you chose to half the barrel diameter where the rear sight will be placed.
    Measure the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle, divide by 2 again.
    Subtract the divided number of the muzzle diameter from the overall height of the rear sight + half the diameter of the barrel where the rear sight is going to be placed.
    Pick a front ramp sight that is as tall as you can get, with the lowest F/s blade for best use.
    Banded front Redfield ramps are the shnizz for a classy looking rifle-sight combo especially if you have a classic style rifle and blade inserts are relatively easy to come by yet.
    FWIW a scope in higher than normal rings will increase point blank range opportunity by a very small bit if your in to that sort of thing but is harder for repetitive mounting of the gun so no free lunch.
    Just look at a MOsin, T or German sniper.
    I use a forster jig and sometimes tiny machinist squares and parallel clamps when I tinker with that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom