• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FAL-Ordinance

Mar 30, 2021
    Baltimore
    I'm going to clarify this conundrum of opinions.

Your barrel will need to be stamped HBAR. When the lower is joined to the upper you then have a rifle.

When produced the Colt HBar was stamped on both the receiver and the barrel.

Having a non HBar upper is not illegal....you just cannot have it as a weapon completed.

Any nit with a wit can Spy a Heavy Barrel versus a non-HBar barrel profile.

To the post above on Bear Creek Arsenal products, they don't make products with consistancy and customer service was not up to par, so we passed on them when they went from industry producers to direct distribution.

So on this point - if someone did own a rifle that didn't meet the HBAR specs, they may want to consider detaching upper from lower when traveling? Would that be legally kosher?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I was just thinking, has anyone ever been asked? Or even thought twice if someone’s barrel was HBAR or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, the only time it would be checked (that I can think of) is if you use the gun in a shooting or you’re doing something else illegal while it’s in your possession

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bustem

Dec 31, 2012
    HBAR

Currently, if it is stamped HBAR or it is advertised or described by the manufacturer as Heavy Barrel, then that is what it is.

Jun 28, 2014
    Baltimore Co.
    Stag Arms has Upper Receivers for "compliant" states like MD, NJ and CA.. As of late, they have been out of stock on all of them. Price was reasonable. BCM also had some so a SHORT while a couple of yrs back, and I haven't seen them on their site since. Hope that helps..

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    What if it's not HBar but piston kit is installed? Would that be kosher with MD law?

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I've been doing some poking around, getting back into the AR game as a buddy is getting into the hobby. It seems like availability of quality complete HBAR uppers is just squat. Surely this is a bad time to be buying, but damn.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Or get an upper that is side charging so it is not a copy of a military firearm.
    This is a hard maybe. The last info sent on this topic indicated that if you could change a single part out to make it a named assault long gun, you were holding a copy. I know Engage got an interpretation otherwise for that retro-style top-charging receiver, but I'd be careful.

Now, stuff like the ARAK, MCX, and BRN-180 uppers would put you clearly in a good place, provided you didn't assemble them into a banned configuration otherwise. But they are not light-weight, that's for sure.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Daniel Defense SOCOM Block II Upper (Heavy Barrel) on sale at Brownells for $769. No BCG but this is a pretty darn good deal on a DD upper. I've had mine for a few years and it is amazingly accurate for what it is. Arguably one of the best SHTF uppers you can buy. You'll have to have an extended FH pinned/welded on though. Duffy's did that for me for $60.

Their Mk18 upper is also on sale for the same price.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Thes guys will make any barrel you like. They do a sale a couple times a year.

A few of their profiles are advertised as Heavy.

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    This is another law that needs to go. Pretty sure there was no restriction on what profile barrel you could put on your musket when the 2nd and 14th were enacted.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    What makes them different enough that they are legal an others are not?
    Long stroke piston as in Kalashnikov. Upper receiver itself is not interchangeable with standard DI AR’s. Fantastic all around (and if you shoot suppressed there is no gas coming back in your face)…

ETA, when I say fantastic all around I really mean it. They are my new favorite for Armalite pattern rifles, over everything from DD to BCM…

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom