• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    From what I was looking at, and I could be very wrong and was going to look deeper at some point, the NRA safety classes that Arizona accepts typically cost more than the Utah & Florida specific classes. I'm still looking into that aspect, it seems there's much less info out there about Arizona training vs UT/FL.

You don't need an NRA class. They accept DD214s and hunter safety courses among others.

Source: https://www.azleg.gov/viewdocument/?docName=http://www.azleg.gov/ars/13/03112.htm

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    If the OP plans to visit FL, then that may be the better way to go since there’s no other way to carry in FL as a MD resident

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    If the OP plans to visit FL, then that may be the better way to go since there’s no other way to carry in FL as a MD resident

Thought about that, but I'm afraid if I was carrying and saw a croc or gator I'd freak out and do something stupid. We all have our own irrational fears, right? Not that there's anything rational about a giant dinosaur-looking apex predator full of teeth just chilling a few feet away. But that's a topic for another thread....

You do have a good point tho, but if I did go to Florida it'd probably just be taking kids/grandkids to Disney or similar. I'd get a lot of heat if I started an incident for challenging the "no guns" signs and "ruined the vacation".

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I just renewed my Utah permit last week. I use it to ccw when I am in Delaware all the time as well. I do have a funny story about one time i was open carry while in Rehoboth and in the store there were some NJ numnuts who called the PD on me. Rehoboth PD showed up and as I talked to him showing him my id and my utah permit, he said congrats and thank you for exercising my 2A rights! The NJ Numnuts called out hey,"you are going to arrest him for having a gun right??" cope said Nope, Open carry and concealed carry is allowed in DE and he is totally legal in this state plus he is exercising his 2A rights as well. The look on their faces was so ah shall we say disappointing? As I walked by them on the way out the door I said,"Have a nice stay in DE where there are a lot of people who carry"..

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    I just renewed my Utah permit last week. I use it to ccw when I am in Delaware all the time as well. I do have a funny story about one time i was open carry while in Rehoboth and in the store there were some NJ numnuts who called the PD on me. Rehoboth PD showed up and as I talked to him showing him my id and my utah permit, he said congrats and thank you for exercising my 2A rights! The NJ Numnuts called out hey,"you are going to arrest him for having a gun right??" cope said Nope, Open carry and concealed carry is allowed in DE and he is totally legal in this state plus he is exercising his 2A rights as well. The look on their faces was so ah shall we say disappointing? As I walked by them on the way out the door I said,"Have a nice stay in DE where there are a lot of people who carry"..

Beautiful. Open carry doesn't need a permit, right? Probably better to have one anyway, at least they know you've got some level of training. I want to get a better feel for the areas I'll be in before going open, I'd hate to have an incident like yours every 20 minutes and wasting the time of the cops. I haven't really had a chance to mingle with the locals yet. What was immediately noticeable was that across the bridge and into Delaware there were way more US flags around than here in the DC 'burbs. The walls at the bar, people's shirts, lots of houses. Was nice to see and made me realize how much more uncommon that is back home.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Many , if not most Utah Instructors also offer fingerprints , typically included in the class fee .

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    I just booked a class, thanks again everyone for all the info and discussion.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I do not believe PA accepts any NR permit.

I have been incorrect in the past. I am sure someone else will chime in as well

NOBODY

You’re still correct. Amazingly, an illegal act by a now convicted felon stands as the law of the land in PA.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    You don't need a special class for Florida. Just a safety class that contains live fire such as NRA Basic Pistol or even the Md HQL.

Not sure why people fall for the old "Multi state" class advertisements. There is no multi state class, states just accept training from various places.

TD

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I have a Utah permit but I got it years ago so I don’t remember if there were fingerprints or not. How much of a PITA is getting fingerprints now in a post Covid world for a AZ or FL non resident permit if I wanted those as well?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I have a Utah permit but I got it years ago so I don’t remember if there were fingerprints or not. How much of a PITA is getting fingerprints now in a post Covid world for a AZ or FL non resident permit if I wanted those as well?

Check around to different counties for that. If they don't do it now they probably will in a few months.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    I do not believe PA accepts any NR permit.

I have been incorrect in the past. I am sure someone else will chime in as well

I thought I had seen the West Virginia one that is going to be accepted by PA. So PA state law prohibits all out of state permits, unless they will issue you their own NR permit, even though MD issues so little permits?

NOBODY

You’re still correct. Amazingly, an illegal act by a now convicted felon stands as the law of the land in PA.

I like how that goes...:mad54:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I just had a bunch of family move to Delaware, so I'll be visiting them often. There's permit-less open carry there, but it doesn't look like there's many locals near them that do so and I don't want to stick out if I can help it. So I was thinking of getting a Utah permit, but now West Virginia is going to issue non-resident permits starting in July. I don't see any info yet on what WV's application process will be (mail/online, in-person, etc) and it looks to be that any NRA-certified safety course with live fire will meet the training requirement. I'm guessing the Utah course would satisfy that requirement if I needed it to down the road. EDIT: Not true, looks like UT is classroom-only, no live fire.

So after that long-winded preamble, I'm looking for opinions on whether I should wait for the WV permit to go live, or just get the Utah right now and re-evaluate at renewal time?

Would recommend Maine NR- I sent off for mine for the future- I have family in DE as well. No prints required and simpler training requirement.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    the WV permit requirements seem reasonable, so it should be fine.

All persons applying for a license must complete a training course in handling and firing a handgun, which includes the actual live firing of ammunition by the applicant. The successful completion of any of the following courses fulfills this training requirement: Provided, That the completed course includes the actual live firing of ammunition by the applicant:

(1) Any official National Rifle Association handgun safety or training course;

(2) Any handgun safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by an official law-enforcement organization, community college, junior college, college or private or public institution or organization or handgun training school utilizing instructors certified by the institution;

(3) Any handgun training or safety course or class conducted by a handgun instructor certified as such by the state or by the National Rifle Association;

(4) Any handgun training or safety course or class conducted by any branch of the United States military, reserve or National Guard or proof of other handgun qualification received while serving in any branch of the United States military, reserve or National Guard.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Can you elaborate for my ignorant self?

The old AG unilaterally changed all reciprocity agreements to put in that caveat, even though PA law didn't require it statutorily.
    She (Kathleen Kane) was convicted of perjury, obstruction of justice

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom