• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raiderjack23

MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2020
    Carroll County
    Want to get my dad's old Montgomery Ward .22 s/l/lr back up and running as a gift. The gun is nothing exotic . . . just old. I believe it is a Montgomery Ward M93-497A (Mossberg 42C) - but I am not 100% sure.

Not sure how much or how little of a job this would be. Looking for recommendations for a central MD based gunsmith who could provide me an idea as to if it is possible to get her to back to a shooting standard and if so what would be involved.

Thanks

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Want to get my dad's old Montgomery Ward .22 s/l/lr back up and running as a gift. The gun is nothing exotic . . . just old. I believe it is a Montgomery Ward M93-497A (Mossberg 42C) - but I am not 100% sure.

Not sure how much or how little of a job this would be. Looking for recommendations for a central MD based gunsmith who could provide me an idea as to if it is possible to get her to back to a shooting standard and if so what would be involved.

Thanks

Might help if you posted some good pics---

Raiderjack23

MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2020
    Carroll County
    Is there an apparent problem or issue with it ?

There is a cover plate that attaches to the bolt that is missing one of its two screws. But I sourced that and ordered two replacements. No other obvious issues - other than it has not been fired since the 80's and was manufactured in the 40s. Cosmetically, it is in good shape with no cracks in the stock.

I am sure I can clean / lubricate it and shoot some CCI Quiet 22lr or CBs through it without much risk. But due to its age . . . I am thinking I would take a conservative approach and have someone who knows more than me look at it first.

Raiderjack23

MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2020
    Carroll County
    Might help if you posted some good pics---

Gotcha. I will post some in the next few days. I have to go and get it. I want to do the surprise thing but I need to rethink that. Funny thing is even though he hasn't shot it in 40 years he is the type of guy who would see it missing in just a day or two.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Gotcha. I will post some in the next few days. I have to go and get it. I want to do the surprise thing but I need to rethink that. Funny thing is even though he hasn't shot it in 40 years he is the type of guy who would see it missing in just a day or two.

:thumbsup: G'luck

Raiderjack23

MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2020
    Carroll County
    Here are some pictures. If anyone sees anything obvious (or not so obvious) let me know. I would appreciate the advice. Still have to replace the cover screws and found the front site’s bead is broken off. Both items are on order.

After cleaning it, I think I have a better idea of it and will indeed shoot some of the CCI Quiets and CBs as mentioned earlier. May venture up to standard velocity if it does well. If I am being too conservative in this regards . . . I look forward to hearing people’s thoughts.

Couldn’t get a decent picture of the bore but it is clean with no rust. I “see” rifling lines but they appear pretty smooth. Don’t think I will be able to recreate the tales of hitting a ground hog at a hundred yards.

f023cbcf0c55c324380d959f3a45b733.jpg

86a23af757f2917cdfa44579b3eefe99.jpg

c8eb575a20b0e94df41ca9f6e7ce3a0a.jpg

34c7eb69e02a3b741f4b02a2fb76278e.jpg

5bc34a7d94fed2016f81e1ae50cec5a8.jpg

36c3814d6b7946972832f8ba4896c6d8.jpg

42aa869d9d6bfad103037883ef873696.jpg

3f3ee273604a08e7dac2c4a978a2b70a.jpg

10140658db3393ed78903cd78e1664be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    How does the bore look? I think it just needs a little cleaning and some lube. As to ammo, if the bore is good, modern 22lr will be fine. No need for powder puff loads, it’s not a 50 BMG.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Definitely pull the bolt and check that bore, if for no other reason than to check for any unknown obstruction. Best to do that anyway as a matter of habit. But so long as that bore is clear, take it to the range and give it a good and thorough function check.

Raiderjack23

MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2020
    Carroll County
    Bore is clean and free of obstructions. Once I get the missing screw and front site put on, I will take it to the range. Figured I was over thinking it.

Thanks Everyone!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Bore is clean and free of obstructions. Once I get the missing screw and front site put on, I will take it to the range. Figured I was over thinking it.

Thanks Everyone!

Let us know how it goes. My guess is that it functions just fine!

Nothing like your father's gun. I have the only one my father ever had. They're priceless.

Good Luck with yours !

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I see nothing that would give me pause. From the little bit of rifling I can see it looks strong.

If there is no rust/cracks in the metal, nothing should affect it’s integrity.

The most important part safety wise is the bolt and chamber. If those look good (and they do), shoot it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom