• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I'm a bit giddy. I won the below from Bridgecom Systems today from their livestream give-away. The add-on fluff isn't worth their pricing (and I prefer my own codeplugs), but the radio certainly is. Although, their "university" is supposed to be very good compared to youtube caliber. Not sure if I need it at this point, though.

AnyTone AT-D878UV PLUS II $299.99
    SkyBridge Dual-Band Digital Hotspot $349.99
    Plug and Play Programming $75.00
    USA and International Hotspot Super Codeplug $49.99
    Bridgecom university $97.00

Total Value: $871.97

I'm torn on keeping my current 878 Plus or selling it.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    If you don't have a license, but are interested, the Carroll County Amateur Radio Club is offering a FREE zoom-based Technician course.

It's not on the flyer, but they usually offer free exams some time after the final class.

View attachment Flyer Jun 2021.pdf

By popular demand (really!) we're doing another Zoom session of our famous Tech Course.

It will run Tuesdays, from Jun 22 to Aug 3, with testing on Saturday, Aug 7.

The class will consist of weekly Q&A sessions on Zoom with videos posted after each session. The last session on Aug 3 will be the final Q&A.

Please pass this on to any interested.

Note that registration is very strongly encouraged since there is material to be emailed a week before class. To register, email ccarc.k3pzn@gmail.com and we'll add you to the roster.

Any questions, just email and we'll respond promptly.

Please distribute as desired.

Pete

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    This weekend is national "Field Day" and we (individuals and clubs) are operating remotely between 2pm today and 2pm tomorrow and amassing contacts.

One of our local clubs, the Maryland Mobileers Amateur Radio Club, has a site in operation at Downs Park, at the Youth Camping Site, in beautiful Pasadena, down on the end of RT-100 off Mountain Road/Pinehurst Rd. I helped with setup this morning, then had to be in my office this afternoon, but I'm headed back down there later this evening.
    https://sites.google.com/site/marylandmobileers/
    https://www.aacounty.org/departments/recreation-parks/parks/downs/

Another local club, Anne Arundel Radio Club, is also working Field Day, from their site in Davidsonville. https://www.w3vpr.org/

We are using ham radio equipment under 'emergency/field conditions' to contact other operators/clubs non-stop through tomorrow afternoon.

Visitors are encouraged, and if you are inexperienced and interested, this is a great time to watch skilled, and not-so-skilled operators in action. Preppers might want to see what is involved in setting up and running HF radio in the field.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    This weekend is national "Field Day" and we (individuals and clubs) are operating remotely between 2pm today and 2pm tomorrow and amassing contacts.
    Fired up the Icom receiver, and found nothing on 6m (50MHz.) However, 20m (14MHz) and 40m (7MHz) were bristling. My morse is more than rusty. Damn, couldn't keep up with anything.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Fired up the Icom receiver, and found nothing on 6m (50MHz.) However, 20m (14MHz) and 40m (7MHz) were bristling. My morse is more than rusty. Damn, couldn't keep up with anything.

A lot of operators use software like Ham Radio Deluxe to transcribe morse code TX and RX signals. I believe there are some free software packages that do the same.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    A lot of operators use software like Ham Radio Deluxe to transcribe morse code TX and RX signals. I believe there are some free software packages that do the same.

I ended up listening to a classical music station on 7.420MHz USB. Didn't hear a station ID, but I don't recall finding that one the last time I was poking around on 40m.

Haven't had a PC hooked up to the radios since I relocated from MoCo to FredCo. Probably should find time to dedicate a Raspberry Pi to signal processing.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Carroll County Amateur Radio Club is operating at Bear Branch Nature Center on multiple bands and modes.

If you are in the area, stop by. They are more than willing to answer questions.

They are at a pavilion 'behind" the parking lot and observatory. You'll find a short trail leading to the area.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Ok I am asking all the hams and public safety vehicle upfitters and radio programmers here with an unusual request.

I am looking for a radio that will do both VHF and UHF with analog and P25. Do any of you have any ideas on what kind of radio to get besides the APX 7500, 8500 and or the Harris XG100M which are all top of the line radio and cost an arm and leg plus 5 fingers as well.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    FYI - if you have your general ticket and don't have funds for an HF rig, you can remote control radios via the web.

remotehams.com is free, but works. A few videos on youtube about it.

remotehamradio.com is a for-fee service (monthly or yearly and per-minute charges) with some nice bells and whistles. I want to try this, but one of the last things I need is yet another monthly fee.

I have a remotehams account and poked around, but haven't played yet with Tx yet.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Carroll County Amateur Radio Club Fox Hunt.

I'm sorry I'll miss this as I love fox hunting, but I'll be out of town.

You are invited to participate, rain or shine!

Next K3PZN Club FOX HUNT

Saturday, August 21, 2021

from 10:00 AM to 12 Noon+

Check in via K3PZN/R, noting the repeater info at https://k3pzn.net/repeaters/ where we hope to have the three main (non-6m) repeaters linked by 9:30 AM for this special event.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Carroll County Amateur Radio Club Fox Hunt.

I'm sorry I'll miss this as I love fox hunting, but I'll be out of town.

You are invited to participate, rain or shine!

Next K3PZN Club FOX HUNT

Saturday, August 21, 2021

from 10:00 AM to 12 Noon+

Check in via K3PZN/R, noting the repeater info at https://k3pzn.net/repeaters/ where we hope to have the three main (non-6m) repeaters linked by 9:30 AM for this special event.

Any more information, pre-registration, frequency, walking/driving, map?

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I saw this website a while ago, and couldn't see that much was going on.

A while ago, I started a thread under the prepper subform and we had a weekly HF net going. Could never get more than a few call in's...

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Any more information, pre-registration, frequency, walking/driving, map?

Repeater info (more details can be found at https://k3pzn.net/repeaters/):

Westminster: 145.410 MHz, “-” offset 600 KHz, PL 114.8 Hz
    Westminster: 449.875, “-” offset 5 MHz, PL 127.3 Hz, FM& C4FM
    Westminster: 53.090 “-” offset 1MHz, PL 107.2 Hz
    Sykesville: 147.285 “+” offset 600 KHz, PL 107.2 Hz

They should be linked during the hunt, so any will do. Sykesville doesn't seem to have the best reception though (know a guy in Eldersburg who uses Westminster for a better signal).

No sign-up; just join in at 10am and "meet" on the repeater.

I have asked for the fox frequency and haven't heard back yet, but hey'll announce it many times.

If like last time, it will be county wide (driving) and coordinated using the repeaters to share one's current location and signal bearing. Most started at their homes. They had some maps at the general meeting that they used (pamphlet style; I have no idea where they got them).

I didn't have a directional antenna, so I hunted the hunters until I heard a clue that told me where it was (Sandymount Park). That was still fun.

A month or 2 ago I did a foot hunt at a park near Frederick that was equally fun. Good exercise, too. That one had several foxes with one having a note for the next's frequency.

cyrano_oneone

Dec 15, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Cancelling Technician License - FCC search

I am thinking of getting my technician license. I would like to get involved with MARS and other things.

The one thing that bothers me is the FCC has the power to come into my house and inspect my equipment at any time.

Is it possible to cancel a license at sometime in the future so the FCC no longer has this privilege.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I am thinking of getting my technician license. I would like to get involved with MARS and other things.

The one thing that bothers me is the FCC has the power to come into my house and inspect my equipment at any time.

Is it possible to cancel a license at sometime in the future so the FCC no longer has this privilege.
    Really you have no fear there. If they really have that power, it is never used. I think you have to make things available for inspection if they ever asked, but no way they have the authority to break your door down or anything like that. Worst they could do is revoke your license after lots and lots of proceedings. I've been a ham for 48 years and never heard of anyone getting asked for an inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom