Most Comfortable Ladder Tree Stand You've Ever Sat In?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    What is the most comfortable tree stand you've ever sat in?

It's the time of year when I think about deer hunting while I'm fishing and crabbing. And time of year to do a little property maintenance.

I'm going to buy 3 or 4 for a new property and want to get some good ones. Once they're in, I'll leave them in semi-permanently. I'm thinking of getting a two-man stand to give myself some room. Comfort, quality, quietness and durability are the goals here. Heavy is OK as I can drive my truck close to where they'll go. I've previously only ever bought the $99 gray metal stands that get the job done but aren't exactly comfortable. I'll be bow hunting exclusively.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I really like the Hawk Denali 1.5 man stand. Super comfortable and quiet. Not light but know that is not an issue for you. Have 2 that have been up for 5 years and remain in good shape with annual freshen up / check.

ONLY issue is the platform is not huge for bow hunting. Can be done done but takes standing / drawing a couple times to get feel of it. I am not a small person and wear size 14’s so might play into it. But from pure comfort and quality standpoint head and shoulders above what else have used over the years.

I know not ladder stands but have moved to Milennium M150 hang on’s. Close in comfort but added much larger platform.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Field and stream out post is a good one.
    Tube construction, 16’ To shooting rail comes with a complete surround blind with roof if you want it, two man (500 lb)with full deck for feet. Fold up seat with padded seat and backrest. Non glare earth finish.
    Off season price is usually around 99 dollars Or so minus shipping.
    Also comes with reasonably well made binders and ladder strut that’s not a pos. No squeak. They also hold up well in salt environments require little maintenance.
    I have more than a few set up here and there.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Whatever you get, go as high as you can and make it a two-man stand. It will allow you to sit comfortably from sunup to sundown.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    And make sure the stand is attached to the tree in a way that your “lean“ is towards the tree not away from it.
    So you fall into the stand not out of it when your sleeping like I do.

I once woke up standing in my climber 30' up. Lol
    All day set so I make it a habit to stand and kinda pace in place for a few minutes every couple hours. Musta dosed off...:lol2:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    When I was younger and became tired I would lay down with my back on the platform and then throw my legs up on the seat to nap out for a while.
    I was at Blackwater bow woods and got woke up by someone cross country skiing one time.
    Funny as hell when he seen me.
    If I tried it now it would surely result in a fall in short order.
    I never worried about falling, just that my bow would normally be hung up on the tree out of reach in case I needed it real quick.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Funniest and scariest for me was opening day of ML. I was about 25’ up a tree in patuxent. Another hunter walks RIGHT up on my tree. After all of the curses in my head I softly whistled. He jumped looked up and almost shat himself. Waved and slowly walked off.

About 2 minutes later I realized it wasn’t just that I was up high. I didn’t have any blaze orange on. And...SHIT!!! I left my vest in the car and I didn’t have my backup hat in my pack because I left it out during bow season!

I got down way too fast and didn’t set the bottom portion of my climber I was hurrying down so fast not to get shot or have an NPR officer come by, I dropped and my safety harness caught me. Fortunately I was 5’ off the ground when it happened. Downside is I smacked face first in to the tree. Didn’t break anything, but my lip swelled up to three times it’s size.

Learned several lessons there (orange hat always stays in the pack. Always go slow with a climber no matter what).

I’ve napped in stands before. I shorten my safety harness line up a ton so I can’t lean forward more than about a 30 degree angle when I do it so I basically can’t fall out. I guess if I start sleep walking I could. I also only use stands with bars/arm rests so if I slumped to the side I also wouldn’t fall out.

That said I TRY not to nap in a stand. Sometimes I know it’s coming and I can’t fight it.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I have spent a lot of time in Tree stands. If it is semi-permanent and I can leave it up all season without concern I really like the Millenium stands.

This one looks really nice! I think this is what I was looking for -- my friend has one at his lease and neither of us could remember the brand name. The mesh seats are comfortable over the course of a long sit.

https://millennium-outdoors.com/product/l220-18ft-double-ladder/

https://millennium-outdoors.com/product/b1-blind/

This plus the blind is probably the "Cadillac" I'm looking for as this stand will be permanently installed with the hope that I can hunt out of hit for years, including with my sons as they get older. :D

Fredcohunter

Nov 30, 2008
    A little west of Frederick
    This one looks really nice! I think this is what I was looking for -- my friend has one at his lease and neither of us could remember the brand name. The mesh seats are comfortable over the course of a long sit.

This plus the blind is probably the "Cadillac" I'm looking for as this stand will be permanently installed with the hope that I can hunt out of hit for years, including with my sons as they get older. :D

I use a Millenium in what is basically my backyard. I use a hang-on with sticks so that I can get more height. I can not remember how many times I have fallen asleep in it lol. I have other stands up at my place but If I am out alone without a kid the Millenium hang on is my first choice.

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    Don't forget that a lot of the comfort comes from the seat, and most double ladder stands only have a 1" piece of foam for a seat.
    Get something like this, helps me be able to sit a lot longer on cold days.
    The Thermaseat is expensive ($60) but it's worth it.

OIP.MBdremAdf8qEOWH6lhbUowHaHa

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Those are pretty salty. If you can afford them then good on ya. The two things I like about them is the height and the platform size. Avoid the ones with the narrow little platforms. Less stowage room, and if you do happen to share that stand with someone, you'll need the extra space.

I do not like the seats unless they are easily removed.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    I’ve never found a ladder stand that was comfortable for longer than 3-4 hours. I’ve got a couple of built homemade elevated box blinds with roofs and low walls. Old office chairs make for a very comfortable sit. Can’t bow hunt out of them, but muzzleloader, firearms and crossbow are very doable

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom