• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    figured this may the the thread to ask, how do you tell the difference between a groundhog hole or a fox hole?
    My friend who is setting up a horse stables on 21 acres he purchased has 2 big holes in the middle of the field and about 6 closer to his house. He covered up the 6 holes by his house and a critter opened them back up. I put 2 trail cams on those plus cell cams on the big holes in the field. Going Sat morning to check on them. THe cell cams have not captured anything in the big holes yet. He purchased a pellet gun w/o talking to me and I told him that will not cut it.

If its a fox, I take it to have him (or I) take it out he will need a nuisance permit? Obviously, you all know he can't have holes with horses.

I have suppressed supersonic 223 and suppressed 300blk subsonic as well as suppressed 308 subsonic to utilize.
    I feel the need to keep things quiet with horses on the next door property and some residential houses as well.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    figured this may the the thread to ask, how do you tell the difference between a groundhog hole or a fox hole?
    My friend who is setting up a horse stables on 21 acres he purchased has 2 big holes in the middle of the field and about 6 closer to his house. He covered up the 6 holes by his house and a critter opened them back up. I put 2 trail cams on those plus cell cams on the big holes in the field. Going Sat morning to check on them. THe cell cams have not captured anything in the big holes yet. He purchased a pellet gun w/o talking to me and I told him that will not cut it.

If its a fox, I take it to have him (or I) take it out he will need a nuisance permit? Obviously, you all know he can't have holes with horses.

I have suppressed supersonic 223 and suppressed 300blk subsonic as well as suppressed 308 subsonic to utilize.
    I feel the need to keep things quiet with horses on the next door property and some residential houses as well.

Given where they are. I'd say groundhog. But, you'd need to see what's in there to be sure. I guess a fox would take an empty hole.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Ok, foxes (mong other critters) will move into abandoned diggings or even make their own but I have yet to see a fox dig a hole in the open or near a structure. This is "fornicating" season for the groundhogs and they are becoming very active. Look for fresh diggings at the burrows to see which holes are active. Once dug, the hogs "clean out" regularly, throwing more dirt on the pile outside the hole. This is one way we spot active holes during high summer; dark dirt visible in the mornings. Don't be surprised to find that you have a hog or hogs moving between holes an maintaining multiple entrances to the same burrow. If you want to shoot em, I've got suppressed .22s and other, bigger, options. If gunfire isn't allowable, get some plywood and mole candles (or a couple of old halon fire extinguishers). Lit candles in the holes, plywood and cinder block or big rock on plywood. Wait for the smell to start in a day or two.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Lol
    Groundhog!
    He spotted a ground hog on the hill by one of the holes. Today.
    He shot one today with the pellet gun from about 50 yards and it’s dead
    It did not run back to hole and he was able to get a second shot before it got away. I’m headed there this evening to see if it was headed to another hole we did not find.
    I’ll also check my cameras to see if there is more.

29f63df3080ce3e82e996f87aac3b85d.jpg

e302814d863cb165890f90ef2835ee17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Gonna have to find another gun to kill a few raccoons that are visiting my deck during the night. After the bird feed. Past two nights they took a dump on the deck. Must be pissed I didn’t refill the sunflower seeds. Any recommendations?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Gonna have to find another gun to kill a few raccoons that are visiting my deck during the night. After the bird feed. Past two nights they took a dump on the deck. Must be pissed I didn’t refill the sunflower seeds. Any recommendations?

Not germane to the thread but I have used Uncle Duke dog proof traps with cat or dog food in them. Then humanely shot them in the head in the morning when trapped. I leave them alone until they poop on my deck or tear into stuff. I loaned one to a friend and he did not secure it well enough, for the next few weeks, he could hear it clanking around in the woods at night dragging the apparatus and chain around.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Miss ranged it. Looks like it hit the foot then skipped up k to the intestines. I could still hear the distinct “THUD” though.

668FDB57-3958-4CC3-91BE-B0D47493D106.jpeg

CplSlutphin

Aug 23, 2020
    22wmr

I've killed 7 this week. Shooting a Savage model 93 in .17hmr.
    Longest was 120 yards.
    Last year longest kill was 180 yards.
    I'm looking for a gun to reach out further with, any one care to make recommendations?

I have a 93FVSR in 22wmr and it key holes at 150yards I love it.
    I'm at 11 ground hogs the biggest being 14.5lbs

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I find a gas soaked shop rag near the burrow entrance(s) will cause them to move. Of course that just makes it the neighbor's problem, so I generally try to take them out permanently if I have time.

Headshots with .22lr are unobtrusive enough in my rural neighborhood, even though my nearest neighbor is PD.

Heck, Saturday mornings around here sounds like a shooting range in the summer anyway. Not strictly legal in PG county, but a lot of the folks who live hereabouts are LE of one sort or another and don't seem to mind.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I'm going tomorrow, south central York Co., PA. I missed two last week at 250 yds. with my heavy barreled .22-.250 Rem. Dialed her in yesterday with my handloads Hornady V-Max 55 gr. over Hodgdon H380 38.0 gr. My rifle was on it was me who missed. My buddy with his .204 Ruger missed also his rifle was dialed in and on. That is not happening tomorrow. I'll report on thursday how we do.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Almost forgot to report on last Wednesday 4/7/21 I got two one at 255 yds. and 270 yds. My buddy got one at 270 yds. Going again in a week or two. There are more there. You can't cover the whole area in one day. You would need to set up in four different spots to cover all the acreage. Hilly and uneven not real flat. You can get a three to five hundred yard shot. I gotta get one over 300 yds!

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Rifle zero confirmed...makes #10 this year. Was zeroing my 300 win mag today after a scope shuffle. This is 165gr ttsx handload out of 300 winmag at 3,217 FPS. Making just over 3,700 foot pounds at the muzzle. Sucker was only 164 yards away... solid THID on impact.

A3EE3CC5-CDD7-49AA-8DD0-A6413BB503DA.jpeg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No pictures, but popped the groundhog this evening that I missed a couple weeks ago. One through the chest and then one that broke a back leg. Out it down as it wasn’t quite dead yet by the time I walked the 35-40yds over to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom