What Do You Recommend for a Release Agent?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am going to bed three rifles with Acraglas Gel. I have read about using paste wax and spray lube (like liquid wrench) for a release agent. What do you guys recommend? Thanks.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I am going to bed three rifles with Acraglas Gel. I have read about using paste wax and spray lube (like liquid wrench) for a release agent. What do you guys recommend? Thanks.

I do some epoxy castings for work and silicone spray or mineral oil. The thinner the epoxy and slower it cures, the more liberal you should be with the release agent.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    I use the steel bed kit that comes from brownells, it comes with a proprietary release agent. I have been impressed with the epoxy product, it has a lot of actual stainless steel in it and has held up to .300wm well.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    For small non complicated parts I use grease.
    Because I had a close call one time time bedding a Savage 110, (used Pam cooking spray on that one)I use the release agent and then spray that canned chlorinated tfe mold release over the release agent.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    For small non complicated parts I use grease.
    Because I had a close call one time time bedding a Savage 110, (used Pam cooking spray on that one)I use the release agent and then spray that canned chlorinated tfe mold release over the release agent.

So I could use the same moly grease that I use on an AR barrel nut? Nice!

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Not Grease

I use the release agent that comes with the kit and I like Brownell's steel bed over Acra Glass. If you use Acra Glass use the gel for glass bedding. The original Acra Glass is thin and flows well, too well, very good for repairs.
    Brownell's makes two kinds of the SAME kits. The difference is one of the release agents is flammable and has shipping restrictions, the other release agent is not flammable but does not smooth out real even but still works good.
    I sometimes put some sort of wax on first then the release agent.
    I've been bedding stocks for 45 years and have learned a lot of tricks.

I don't use grease or any kind of oil. Oil or grease can contaminate the epoxy and it won't set up hard. Maybe not always but I do know for a fact.
    When the epoxy oozes out onto the stock I carefully wipe it off with an oily rag being careful not to over do it then wipe the whole gun down to remove any epoxy smudges or gluey finger prints, the stuff finds a way of getting everywhere.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    If I’m not using the release agent that came with the bedding kit, I use two things.

Nonstick cooking spray (Pam)

Paste wax

Paste wax is harder to put on and harder to clean up. The Pam is super easy. I’ve done dozens of bedding jobs with both and have never had a job stick.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I never had grease cause the gel not to harden. Only when the two compounds are old or from one of the “quick bedding” kits from a retail store is where I’ve seen that go bad.
    One good thing about the gel is that it’s 50/50 proportion for mixing. Some of the older glass was non proportional.
    The spray on mold release is cheap insurance. Especially if you have more than one job going on at the same time.
    Never used steel bed either but have mixed in atomized particles from the grinder tray to firm the gel up.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    It's pricey but, I use Brownells acura-release aerosol. Never an issue. I have tried other methods but this gives me the best results. One can lasts a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom