• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Any saddle hunters on here?

Just got my first setup. Seems to be the new trend in mobile/lightweight hunting. Going to give it a go this fall.

Any tips or tricks?

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    BLUF: My choice because I don't have land that I can put a permanent stand on, and it's easier to haul than a climber.

I've got mixed feelings about it. Yeah, it is super easy to pack in literally anywhere, where a climber is a hassle and a permanent stand is impossible. I find it pretty comfortable over the course of a long sit, but not as comfortable as sitting on your butt on a seat.
    I've found that it's still enough trouble getting set in the dark that I would rather get my climbing sticks/footrest/treeline set the night before.
    Now, shooting can be tricky. (I only gun hunt.) I have missed a couple of shots I am embarrassed to admit because they were essentially back shoulder shots (as in, deer approaching from behind and I had to twist around). When deer is coming from your "expected" way in front of you and you can lean on the tree, waaaaay better but my effective range is still decreased from when I sit in a fixed stand with a gun rest of some sort.
    I've got a buddy who bow hunts and practices a lot and loves it, says he's super effective.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    BLUF: My choice because I don't have land that I can put a permanent stand on, and it's easier to haul than a climber.

I've got mixed feelings about it. Yeah, it is super easy to pack in literally anywhere, where a climber is a hassle and a permanent stand is impossible. I find it pretty comfortable over the course of a long sit, but not as comfortable as sitting on your butt on a seat.
    I've found that it's still enough trouble getting set in the dark that I would rather get my climbing sticks/footrest/treeline set the night before.
    Now, shooting can be tricky. (I only gun hunt.) I have missed a couple of shots I am embarrassed to admit because they were essentially back shoulder shots (as in, deer approaching from behind and I had to twist around). When deer is coming from your "expected" way in front of you and you can lean on the tree, waaaaay better but my effective range is still decreased from when I sit in a fixed stand with a gun rest of some sort.
    I've got a buddy who bow hunts and practices a lot and loves it, says he's super effective.

I was wondering how it would handle a gun hunt. Good to know. Guess I will be using the climber for shotgun/muzzleloader.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I've recently started exercising horses for a group that Fox Hunts. These horses are phenominal, self driving, when the pack starts moving hang the f on! The equipment change from hunter/jumper to Hunter adds a breast plate which is literally an oh-shit handle in front of the saddle. I've not been with them on the 700+ private practice acres yet but I am ready for the adrenaline! They raise/train race horses as well but if you see someone riding a Hunter on the track, it is quite possibly me,

Last edited:

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    Go to saddlehunter.com for a lot of useful information. I saddle hunt starting last year and will never go back to a climber. MAYBE do hang-on depending if I was going a short distance. But saddle are really comfortable, you should look at the JX3 hybrid if you want the most comfortable seat. It was a lot easier to gun hunt in a saddle because you can use the tree to brace against. Hardest is traditional bow. So late year I was able to get up 25ft a tree in 5 minutes and I felt completely safe. My whole setup was 6 lbs. But I am not going to be this light because at some point carrying a few extra lbs does not matter that much.

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    Im in Westminster. If you would like to try a Recon Sling saddle or a platform or a ring of steps. Let me know. You can come try it out!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I've recently started exercising horses for a group that Fox Hunts. These horses are phenominal, self driving, when the pack starts moving hang the f on! The equipment change from hunter/jumper to Hunter adds a breast plate which is literally an oh-shit handle in front of the saddle. I've not been with them on the 700+ private practice acres yet but I am ready for the adrenaline! They raise/train race horses as well but if you see someone riding a Hunter on the track, it is quite possibly me,

I think they are talking about a different kind of saddle.
    https://www.wildedgeinc.com/saddle-hunting.html

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Bump on this. Recently hurt my back. Not a bad injury, but enough to set me on the sidelines (from active things like BJJ) for about a week and still have lingering aches. Got me to thinking how I really don't look forward to carrying a climber in and out as well as potentially a deer! I've been watching a lot of video and I really want to give it a try, but it seems like the barrier to entry is at least $300 bucks on the low side.

Is it worth it? Any tips on more cost effective starter gear that's not going to kill me?

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    @sclag22 if you are interested in some gently used gear, could sell you my whole setup. Now that I'm hunting twisty oaks and mesquites these days, not a lot of climbing to do. PM me

That said, I would be very careful climbing a tree, esp saddle hunting, with a bad back. Once you're up there it's not bad, but can require some twisting and exertion to get set.

Again, if you're set on it for this season or next, let me know.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I was never a fan of the strap-on tree stands and climbing sticks.

A wide climber is way more comfortable, and a heck of a lot lighter to carry.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was never a fan of the strap-on tree stands and climbing sticks.

A wide climber is way more comfortable, and a heck of a lot lighter to carry.
    Besides, you can't sleep in any of those other contraptions, save for a nice double ladder stand, of course.

As Brandon would say "think I'm kidding?".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom