• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    An update. Four months and a week after I applied, I phoned again to check the status. I was informed that I have been approved and am in the finals stages of being issued a permit. They will be mailing a permit, or a letter if there are any further needs (?) within a few days, they said.

I also inquired about the pistol registration that I submitted with the carry application and I was told it's being taken care of.

The process seems to be moving forward.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    An update. Four months and a week after I applied, I phoned again to check the status. I was informed that I have been approved and am in the finals stages of being issued a permit. They will be mailing a permit, or a letter if there are any further needs (?) within a few days, they said.

I also inquired about the pistol registration that I submitted with the carry application and I was told it's being taken care of.

The process seems to be moving forward.

Not to be a buzzkill, but I got that same update 4 weeks ago and then again 2 weeks ago. I still do not have a permit or letter. I applied on Oct. 11. Hopefully your outcome is better than mine.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Not to be a buzzkill, but I got that same update 4 weeks ago and then again 2 weeks ago. I still do not have a permit or letter. I applied on Oct. 11. Hopefully your outcome is better than mine.

134 days, Ponderous

What are they doing down there.. I wouldn't be surprised many files just get filed in the completed pile.

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    Are there any grounds for a lawsuit here?

probably not, they would hide behind this:

24-2338. Investigation of Application.
    2338.1 The Chief shall conduct an investigation of every applicant within a reasonable period of time after receipt of a completed application.

or this:

24-2339. Preliminary Approval.
    2339.1 The Chief shall issue a preliminary approval to carry a concealed pistol or provide a written denial of the ap- plication within a reasonable time after receiving an application containing all required supporting documents, with the exception of proof of completion of the firearms training requirements. A reasonable period of time shall normally be within ninety (90) days; however, the time may be extended by the Chief for an additional ninety (90) days where there is good cause for additional time to complete the investigation and the applicant is so notified in writing

even though, I've heard of no one getting notice of extended time.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    probably not, they would hide behind this:

24-2338. Investigation of Application.
    2338.1 The Chief shall conduct an investigation of every applicant within a reasonable period of time after receipt of a completed application.

or this:

24-2339. Preliminary Approval.
    2339.1 The Chief shall issue a preliminary approval to carry a concealed pistol or provide a written denial of the ap- plication within a reasonable time after receiving an application containing all required supporting documents, with the exception of proof of completion of the firearms training requirements. A reasonable period of time shall normally be within ninety (90) days; however, the time may be extended by the Chief for an additional ninety (90) days where there is good cause for additional time to complete the investigation and the applicant is so notified in writing

even though, I've heard of no one getting notice of extended time.

Not just notice, DC has to show specific good cause. Like for example your name coming up on what is probably a broader search than NICS t a level that maybe lower than threshold, certain timing issues on arrests with no conviction (where they can still deny if under a certain number of years) or you having a common enough birth name to have generated hits. Also if you are taking non standard training, this might require approval.

Still they are breaking the law if they take more than 90 days and do not formally notify you of this along with specific case for it. Good cause for any delay has to be asserted and supported with facts.

And DC has been sued successful by gun owners a lot, and even more often altered their regs and procedures on mere serious threat.

We are talking about a jurisdiction that still tried, after Heller, to bar anything but revolvers.

The plain fact is that 90 days was written when DC still forcing applicants to assert, document and show good reason, and where that one aspect probably required actual investigation that could logically extend, say the actual otherwise needed period, from a couple of weeks for everything less, to a couple of months to check good reason. that no longer exists.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Like a dripping faucet, that the DC government can't turn completely off, Carry Permits slowly come out. One drop at a time.

Just short of 130 days from application to issue date.

CZ Peasy

Jun 29, 2012
    Just short of 130 days from application to issue date.

By my calendar maths you applied approximately Oct 16, probably on the tail end of the initial surge. Hopefully approvals will get closer to 90 days after the surge applications are completed. Also maybe their workflow will improve as they get more experience with the volume. Optimistic, I know. I'm on day 87.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I’m not sure when the process began but Dick Heller showed a few of us his which he received the same day he stood with us in Annapolis a few Monday’s ago. I would guess he applied day one.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012

Called again today for an update. I told him I submitted on Oct. 11 and he said he was going to check the hardcopy file rather than the status in the system. He told me it was about to get submitted "upstairs" for final signature, and I should be getting notification in 7 - 10 days. That matches the responses from my previous calls. Currently at 146 days.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That's the same BS excuse I got almost word for word last week when I emailed..

To be fair, I did submit on 10-30 but they are way over 90 days in violation of their own regs. If they want to go beyond 90, they are supposed to notify you in writing.

Pathetic operation IMO, but it's not an accident. If they cared one whit, they'd follow their own rules.

They don't

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    10-26 for me.
    If the permit is valid for 2 years. I don't see much of a problem. Marylands system actually eats into you permit time for the first year of 3.

DC45

Mar 8, 2018
    DC
    I received my preliminary approval in mid-January, roughly 90 days after submitting my application.

However, I was basically re-activating an old application from 2015 that I submitted during that window of no "good reason" requirement. Maybe they moved me toward the front of the queue because of that.

Hang in there, everyone!

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I received my preliminary approval in mid-January, roughly 90 days after submitting my application.

However, I was basically re-activating an old application from 2015 that I submitted during that window of no "good reason" requirement. Maybe they moved me toward the front of the queue because of that.

Hang in there, everyone!

Mine was also a re-submission of a 2015 denial.

WeiShen

Oct 7, 2013
    Ward 7
    The sheer contempt from DC is maddening *takes deep breath*

Has anyone actually gotten a physical permit? Would an open legal letter to the mayor and MPD Chief going to do anything?

How many times do they need to be pee pee smacked in court for this kind of garbage?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Plenty of folks have gotten permits. DC drags their feet just enough to anger everyone but not far enough out of line to make a legal case worthwhile.

It's by design. IMO

IANAL.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Good in one way. Renewals will be spread out as issued licenses are staggered. I don't mind the wait.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom