• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Shockwave is inelligible. Maybe because of OAL or non-shotgun status since it's not designed to be fired from the shoulder. Or because the chief felt like it.

Is there a list that shows elgible items to register?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    To me, that's the biggest advantage of the Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30; a semi-auto legal in a place where many others are not. I think Bill Ruger was very crafty they way he marketed the Min-14 with the 5 round mags which (IMHO) kept them off the radar.

He saw the writing on the wall, and damned for it. His entire reasoning behind the 10rd limit was to keep every rifle legal to own. Ruger noted the Mini-14 being favored by outlaws and was another reason for his view. He wanted to save the rifle.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    For DC the best centerfire rifles IMHO you can register are as follows:

ARES/FightLite SCR
    Pros

This is the closest you can get to an AR
    It takes AR mags. 10 round restrictions still applies.
    It takes AR uppers with all of the modular sight, flashlight, laser, picatinny cup holder… options
    You can change caliber to 300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendal, 6.8, etc. To be legal you must inform registration new calibers you have. IIRC the is punishment is 10 years in prison for an unregistered caliber.
    Cons
    The factory upper is not very impressive. DC will not allow you to only register a lower.
    The bolt catch is an additional $40
    An ambidextrous magazine release is helpful because you cannot reach the right side mag release

Ruger Mini 14/30
    Pros

It just works
    Cons
    Limited optic options
    Does not have the modularity of the SCR
    Mags are expensive

SKS
    Pros

Affordable
    Cons
    You must keep the fixed box magazine
    Not modern

M1A
    Pros

.308 loads of fun
    Cons
    Many of the aftermarket stock options will add a pistol style grip which may or may not be compliant
    Not modern

Garand
    Pros
    Ping!
    Cons
    Not modern

The photo taken by Innevets at registration has a mistake. They say Dark Storm California compliant are “Yes! Yes!” DC legal. By the letter of the law, they are wrong. Be careful on that.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC

If you are willing to go bolt-action, you should be able to get around the feature restrictions, since they only apply to "a semiautomatic, rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine."
    E.g. Mossberg MVP LC (https://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-lc-rifle-28017/).

Same for pump action shotguns, as long as you meet the barrels and overall length requirements.
    E.g. Mossberg 500 Tactical (https://www.mossberg.com/product/500-tactical-6-shot-50440/)

ARES/FightLite SCR
    Pros

It takes AR uppers with all of the modular sight, flashlight, laser, picatinny cup holder… options
    You can change caliber to 300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendal, 6.8, etc. To be legal you must inform registration new calibers you have. IIRC the is punishment is 10 years in prison for an unregistered caliber.
    Cons
    The factory upper is not very impressive. DC will not allow you to only register a lower.
    An ambidextrous magazine release is helpful because you cannot reach the right side mag release

Agree. The factory upper is less than ideal. It also doesn't have a brass deflector, so worse so for leftys. There are rail mounted deflectors out there, but they can cause jams. What was the procedure to register additional uppers? I've stuck with the factory upper thus far.

The photo taken by Innevets at registration has a mistake. They say Dark Storm California compliant are “Yes! Yes!” DC legal. By the letter of the law, they are wrong. Be careful on that.

What makes the featureless DS-15 in breach of the law?
    https://www.dark-storm.com/dsi/ds-1...storm-ds-15-moe-featureless-5.56-rifle-black/

Doesn't seem to have:
    (aa) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the
    weapon;
    (bb) A thumbhole stock;
    (cc) A folding or telescoping stock;
    (dd) A grenade launcher or flare launch-
    er;
    (ee) A flash suppressor; or (ff) A forward pistol grip;

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    If you are willing to go bolt-action, you should be able to get around the feature restrictions, since they only apply to "a semiautomatic, rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine."
    E.g. Mossberg MVP LC (https://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-lc-rifle-28017/).

Same for pump action shotguns, as long as you meet the barrels and overall length requirements.
    E.g. Mossberg 500 Tactical (https://www.mossberg.com/product/500-tactical-6-shot-50440/)

Agree. The factory upper is less than ideal. It also doesn't have a brass deflector, so worse so for leftys. There are rail mounted deflectors out there, but they can cause jams. What was the procedure to register additional uppers? I've stuck with the factory upper thus far.

What makes the featureless DS-15 in breach of the law?
    https://www.dark-storm.com/dsi/ds-1...storm-ds-15-moe-featureless-5.56-rifle-black/

Doesn't seem to have:
    (aa) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the
    weapon;
    (bb) A thumbhole stock;
    (cc) A folding or telescoping stock;
    (dd) A grenade launcher or flare launch-
    er;
    (ee) A flash suppressor; or (ff) A forward pistol grip;

Yea thats what I have been looking at
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...SRC+CF+THD+223REM+16+M4+NY+COMPL+CARBON+RECIE

https://www.gunsamerica.com/9424269...Skulls-223-Wylde-16in-NY-Legal-NEW-in-Box.htm

http://store.unitedgunshop.com/rifl...1-thordsen-black-stk-black-hard-coat-anodized

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/wind-r16m4-ftt-ny-legal

Last edited:

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC

I spoke with the registration officer and he said I would need to update the registration PD-219 form from .223/5.56 to also include the caliber of the new upper. I am currently just using .223 uppers so I have not made the update in practice.

You are right. I thought it was a detachable mag.:o Everyday is a school day.;)

Innevets

Dec 27, 2018
    DC
    I spoke with the registration officer and he said I would need to update the registration PD-219 form from .223/5.56 to also include the caliber of the new upper. I am currently just using .223 uppers so I have not made the update in practice.

You are right. I thought it was a detachable mag.:o Everyday is a school day.;)

This is what LT Hall told me to do when I asked about a .22lr conversion kit:

"If you wish to include a .22 conversion kit, add that information to the calibers of the firearm when completing the firearms registration form and bring that to the attention of the staff member assisting you."

Also, the DSI DS-15 has a detachable magazine, it just doesn't have any of the AW features.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    This is what LT Hall told me to do when I asked about a .22lr conversion kit:

"If you wish to include a .22 conversion kit, add that information to the calibers of the firearm when completing the firearms registration form and bring that to the attention of the staff member assisting you."

Also, the DSI DS-15 has a detachable magazine, it just doesn't have any of the AW features.

From what I understand if the magazine is attached and can't be removed you can have all the other features such as the pistol grip, am I correct?

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    From what I understand if the magazine is attached and can't be removed you can have all the other features such as the pistol grip, am I correct?

Correct. "a semiautomatic, rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine” is the qualifier, so features on bolt actions are fine too.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia

ARES/FightLite SCR
    Pros

Cons

Ruger Mini 14/30
    Pros

It just works
    Cons
    Limited optic options
    Does not have the modularity of the SCR
    Mags are expensive

SKS
    Pros

Affordable
    Cons
    You must keep the fixed box magazine
    Not modern

M1A
    Pros

.308 loads of fun
    Cons
    Many of the aftermarket stock options will add a pistol style grip which may or may not be compliant
    Not modern

Garand
    Pros
    Ping!
    Cons
    Not modern

You can register an M1 carbine as well, but you have to show up with one of those crappy 10-round aftermarket magazines.

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    You can register an M1 carbine as well, but you have to show up with one of those crappy 10-round aftermarket magazines.

You don't need to bring in any magazines. Just list the capacity as "10" on the registration form.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    You don't need to bring in any magazines. Just list the capacity as "10" on the registration form.

That's good to know. When I registered mine a few years ago, they told me I had to bring it the magazine or they could only register it as single shot. Seemed ridiculous to me, but it's DC.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IIRC the ruling in Hellet III that struck down the requirement to bring your firearm to HQ for registration also included magazines.

Not 100% sure on that however

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

ARES/FightLite SCR
    Pros

Cons

DC WILL allow you to register lowers only of several guns including SCR. people have done it.

On caliber in my experience with my own 22 conversion is I just called them and they sent a new registration card that says "multi" in the "caliber" section. P320 says "multi" as well.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    IIRC the ruling in Hellet III that struck down the requirement to bring your firearm to HQ for registration also included magazines.

Not 100% sure on that however

DC MPD does not require you bring in or even own any mags for new rifle, used rifle or previously owned handgun to be registered. Sykes does so for new handguns, or if you for some reason absolutely must buy a rifle to be shipped instead of brick and mortar in Virginia or Md.

I don't fault Sykes. A liqueur store or bar has every right to ask you for iD even if you look like you're 30, and every right to refuse your ID. Controlled business have every right to err on the side of extreme caution and make their own rules on top of actual regs.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    What was the procedure to register additional [SCR]uppers? I've stuck with the factory upper thus far.
    Just call them and have them send out a card that says "multi" in caliber field.

Factory upper and barrel are nice and light and well balanced. It is a very light factory barrel and since you do not have a grip below the action you want the end LIGHT so that you can hold it one handed and not change grip while loading mags with other hand (after putting in a left hand release which allows you to use thumb of left hand to depress lever while changing mags).

If you do change upper, and want a scope, I would suggest side changing to side charging upper since a scope on an SCR is going to be as low as possible and back further meaning charge hand will be cramped on normal upper.

although the gun uses AR accessories, besides balance being a bigger consideration due to grip position being further back and weaker, the other consideration is that that rifle shouldered will be higher and therefore all optics will need to be way lower than AR. If you use battery dependent red dot and flip up BUS you may want those BUS to lay super low so as not to block red dot, yet flip up above red dot ie not co-witness through, but completely above

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    So having seen the previous pics on the wall of Thordsen stock equipped rifles, I was curious to see what DC would allow me to do in regard to having an AR.

I stopped by yesterday 1/15 (was pretty busy there with registrations and CCW pickups) and after a bit of a wait I had a fairly technical talk with one of the officers there. Lt. Hall was not in.

I was basically told either of the Thordsen stocks are ok (Gen II and Gen III).

I showed him a picture of an AR I was interested in and asked if I had someone else swap the stocks for me outside of DC that would be fine? Was basically told yes. They'd want to see photos before shipping and I'm sure there would be other things to do but they seemed ok with the whole idea of me having a rifle built to be compliant rather than having to buy a compliant version from say like Black Rain Ordnance.

I shoot a lot of 3 Gun in FL when I visit family down there and it is tons of fun.

I'm also going to ask them if a non-pistol grip/featureless grip like the Resurgent Arms featureless grip with a fixed stock would be ok also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom