• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    As long as it doesn't have a threaded barrel. Email LT Hall with the spec sheet and he'll let you know if you can register.

I know what I am good with in DC (and threaded barrels for long guns are GTG), just don't want to make myself an inadvertent felon in MD if I bring the rifle there, as well as I've usually used VA FFLs, but if I use an MD one it has to be legal in both MD (state of sale) and DC (state of residency).

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Non sequitur. Would a Thordsen AR build from Blackrain need an HBAR to be both DC and MD compliant? Seems it would, since a Blackrain lower is banned and since a lack of “evil features” (i.e. a pistol grip) doesn’t necessarily make the rifle not banned. On the other hand an Ares SCR is good to go, since the lower is a fully custom non-copycat. Am I thinking about this correctly?

I think the question is, can a MD FFL receive and transfer a banned firearm to an out of state resident? I kind of doubt it.

As long as it doesn't have a threaded barrel. Email LT Hall with the spec sheet and he'll let you know if you can register.

The threaded barrel only applies to, "A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine"

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Outstanding.

Non sequitur. Would a Thordsen AR build from Blackrain need an HBAR to be both DC and MD compliant? Seems it would, since a Blackrain lower is banned and since a lack of “evil features” (i.e. a pistol grip) doesn’t necessarily make the rifle not banned in MD (though it would be GTG in DC). On the other hand an Ares SCR is good to go in both, since the lower is a fully custom non-copycat and it doesn't have any evil features (but I already have one of those). Am I thinking about this correctly?

That's an interesting question for the MD part.

For DC I was told in person that both Gen2 and Gen3 versions of Thordsen stock are gtg.

How do you like the Ares SCR? I was almost going to get one of those before my journey into a "featureless" build.

Jan 15, 2020
    I think the question is, can a MD FFL receive and transfer a banned firearm to an out of state resident? I kind of doubt it.

The threaded barrel only applies to, "A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine"

Thanks for the clarification.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    That's an interesting question for the MD part.

For DC I was told in person that both Gen2 and Gen3 versions of Thordsen stock are gtg.

How do you like the Ares SCR? I was almost going to get one of those before my journey into a "featureless" build.

It’s great fun, but a little quirky, most of which can be fixed or is due to me being a lefty.

When I bought it back in the day it didn’t ship with a bolt catch, but they came out with a drop in for about 30 bucks. You have to realize they designed it around every asinine gun grabbing law out there, and to this day I believe a NYC resident can even pick one up. So I blame the bolt catch omission on whatever jack booted Dem came up with that moronic idea more than Ares.

The lower is the custom magic of the gun, and there is a tail like you would find in a semi auto shotgun instead of a buffer tube. As such the BCG is custom, so while you could swap the upper out, I have no idea if you could switch calibers if you needed to swap the bolt. Rascal has a few SCRs if I remember correctly. Adding an ambi mag release was no problem, but I had to try a few different ones because the contour is different than your standard AR.

The stock upper is a piece of shit. It doesn’t have a brass deflector, and while I don’t have a problem with any other righty firearm, this puppy shoots brass at my right eye with 80% accuracy. I put a rail mounted deflector on between my scope, but it seems to cause jams. That is the main reason I’m looking at a Thordsen. I suppose I could swap the upper out, but the custome BCG makes me worried I’d be throwing good money after bad. And the Thordsen is a totally standard AR aside from the stock. Only caveat on the Thordsen, is I’m pretty sure if you wanted to also take a Thordsen into MD it would need to be an HBAR.

Last edited:

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    I think the question is, can a MD FFL receive and transfer a banned firearm to an out of state resident

Pretty sure the answer is no. I’m too lazy to find the ATF citation, but if memory serves, it needs to be legal in both state of residency and transfer. Otherwise the FFL would be aiding in the violation of a state’s law (unconstitutional as it may be).

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    It’s great fun, but a little quirky, most of which can be fixed or is due to me being a lefty.

When I bought it back in the day it didn’t ship with a bolt catch, but they came out with a drop in for about 30 bucks. You have to realize they designed it around every asinine gun grabbing law out there, and to this day I believe a NYC resident can even pick one up. So I blame the bolt catch omission on whatever jack booted Dem came up with that moronic idea more than Ares.

The lower is the custom magic of the gun, and there is a tail like you would find in a semi auto shotgun instead of a buffer tube. As such the BCG is custom, so while you could swap the upper out, I have no idea if you could switch calibers if you needed to swap the bolt. Rascal has a few SCRs if I remember correctly. Adding an ambi mag release was no problem, but I had to try a few different ones because the contour is different than your standard AR.

The stock upper is a piece of shit. It doesn’t have a brass deflector, and while I don’t have a problem with any other righty firearm, this puppy shoots brass at my right eye with 80% accuracy. I put a rail mounted deflector on between my scope, but it seems to cause jams. That is the main reason I’m looking at a Thordsen. I suppose I could swap the upper out, but the custome BCG makes me worried I’d be throwing good money after bad. And the Thordsen is a totally standard AR aside from the stock. Only caveat on the Thordsen, is I’m pretty sure if you wanted to also take a Thordsen into MD it would need to be an HBAR.

I agree 100% with that review on the SCR, except I do not have the lefty problems and mine came with the normal AR brass deflector.

I have 3 uppers for my SCR. The stock SCR upper works ok, but the half handguard and exposed barrel looks odd. The non-threaded barrel means no muzzle brake and that also looks odd. I were buying another SCR, I would only buy the lower shipped to my FFL. Buy a different upper of choice. Take the upper to the FFL, assemble the rifle, and fill out the PD-219 based on that configuration. Also fill out the PD-219 caliber field as “Multi” in case I bought another caliber upper.

With the SCR bolt you can swap uppers using any caliber that uses a standard AR-15 bolt carrier (.300 BLK, 7.62x39, .458 SOCOM, 6.5 Grendel, etc.) The swap out procedure is a bit more tedious than a real AR, but it is doable.

Overall it is a lot of fun, just a bit odd.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    If were buying another SCR, I would only buy the lower shipped to my FFL. Buy a different upper of choice. Take the upper to the FFL, assemble the rifle, and fill out the PD-219 based on that configuration. Also fill out the PD-219 caliber field as “Multi” in case I bought another caliber upper.

With the SCR bolt you can swap uppers using any caliber that uses a standard AR-15 bolt carrier (.300 BLK, 7.62x39, .458 SOCOM, 6.5 Grendel, etc.) The swap out procedure is a bit more tedious than a real AR, but it is doable.

Overall it is a lot of fun, just a bit odd.

BlueHeeler, why would you have to take the upper to the FFL.?
    Can't you do the PD-219 on the lower and when that is approved, take it home and assemble there? Assuming (I guess) prior approval of upper by Lt. Hall? Do they even have that authority?

This is one of the things I was planning on fleshing out with Lt. Hall when I do another build, or what the process would be if swapping uppers.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Can't you do the PD-219 on the lower and when that is approved, take it home and assemble there? Assuming (I guess) prior approval of upper by Lt. Hall? Do they even have that authority?

This is one of the things I was planning on fleshing out with Lt. Hall when I do another build, or what the process would be if swapping uppers.

I tried to complete the PD-219 on just the lower. DC would not allow that because they have a minimum barrel length of 16" and barrel length is a field on the PD-219.

DC does not accept the common definition of "firearm" to mean the serialized frame or receiver portion of the weapon.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC

MPD won’t register just a lower. So you have to build it in the configuration you intend to register it for.

If you purchase additional uppers, they have a “registration certificate update” form that you are supposed to send them.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    MPD won’t register just a lower. So you have to build it in the configuration you intend to register it for.

If you purchase additional uppers, they have a “registration certificate update” form that you are supposed to send them.
    Thanks swamplynx. First time I ever heard of an update certificate. Some very valuable knowledge here.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    I tried to complete the PD-219 on just the lower. DC would not allow that because they have a minimum barrel length of 16" and barrel length is a field on the PD-219.

DC does not accept the common definition of "firearm" to mean the serialized frame or receiver portion of the weapon.
    I really am getting a headache from trying to understand all the DC hoops lol. My head still hurts from the featureless build saga.

Maybe I'm just not knowledgeable, but if I buy a 16" upper isn't that the barrel length?

I was thinking/hoping it would be possible to show Lt. Hall a pic of lower and stock and upper and say hey I'm going to build this, get lower from FFL and then just assemble at home.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I really am getting a headache from trying to understand all the DC hoops lol. My head still hurts from the featureless build saga.

Maybe I'm just not knowledgeable, but if I buy a 16" upper isn't that the barrel length?

I was thinking/hoping it would be possible to show Lt. Hall a pic of lower and stock and upper and say hey I'm going to build this, get lower from FFL and then just assemble at home.

Do not worry, once you fully understand the law and registration process, they change it.:thumbsup:

Yes, a 16" upper is the barrel length, GTG. In my experience the FFL fills out the barrel length section of the PD-219. I am 100% sure no FFL will fill out 16" because you said, "My upper at home ..." without seeing it.

I have no idea what Lt. Hall will accept. How he interprets the law is his discretion, but when I asked the answer was "No."

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Ah, thanks for the fuller FFL part explanation Blueheeler.

You have decreased my brain hurt by 15%!

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    When you call, can you ask if they will at least mail it to you? That would at least save the 2nd trip to MPD for long guns. Ugh, this is such ********.

Good news! Yes, they will send the registration card and paperwork to your residence for a long gun or C&R.

Ah, thanks for the fuller FFL part explanation Blueheeler.

You have decreased my brain hurt by 15%!

Sure thing. Us DC folks have to help each other out. There are dozens of us!

Is Charles Sykes still they only one doing handgun transfers in DC and does he still have his office in Police headquarters

Yes and yes.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Dozens! Great!

I imparted some AR knowledge to a guy on Reddit's /novaguns so that's one more at least.

As far Skyes: Supreme Court will probably punt but it sure would be nice if Mance v. Barr was decided correctly.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Dozens! Great!

I imparted some AR knowledge to a guy on Reddit's /novaguns so that's one more at least.

As far Skyes: Supreme Court will probably punt but it sure would be nice if Mance v. Barr was decided correctly.

DC council already has a work around written in the legislation. Basically if there is no FFL available for handgun transfer, DC has authorized themselves to act as an FFL for a price of $125.

I have no idea how that is legal with respect to ATF requirements and a government entity acting as an FFL01, but it is DC so...

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    DC council already has a work around written in the legislation. Basically if there is no FFL available for handgun transfer, DC has authorized themselves to act as an FFL for a price of $125.

I have no idea how that is legal with respect to ATF requirements and a government entity acting as an FFL01, but it is DC so...

It sure would be nice to be able to pay a $20 transaction fee in VA or MD vs DC's $125.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom