• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Modern day Jaws situation?

A 12-year-old boy was bitten June 4 while swimming at Herring Point in Cape Henlopen State Park.

The boy had puncture wounds to one of his legs and was taken by ambulance to Beebe Healthcare following the attack that happened before 1 p.m., said the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control.

A Sussex County EMS report shared with the Cape Gazette states the boy was conscious and breathing, and he had serious bleeding from the bites. While initially reported as a shark bite, officials said, the appearance of the bite mark is being reviewed by state and fisheries experts to determine if it was from a shark or potential other creature.

DNREC officials closed Herring Point to surfing and swimming after the attack. Beachgoers are also restricted to knee-deep waters around the Cape Henlopen bathhouse. DNREC Natural Resources Police park rangers and lifeguards are patrolling the beach area to warn surfers and other beachgoers to stay in shallow water.

Officials said shark attacks are rare. The only known shark bite at a Delaware State Park beach occurred in June 2014.

https://www.capegazette.com/node/203110?source=email-bn

Kinetic

MDS Supporter
    Apr 4, 2013
    Here lies the body of Mary Lee, died at the age of a hundred and three.

For fifteen years she kept her virginity, not a bad record for this vicinity.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Great. My son just headed down to OC for Senior Week. Don't worry, I've asked for video.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Probably, a smaller inshore species, like a Dusky, Nurse or Sandbar.

They are often found within 100 yards of shore.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If most people only knew what was swimming around them constantly in our murky temperate waters...... I have heard a rumor when shark fishing was popular OC officials quietly pushed for the boat captains to make the catches not so visible to the rank and file tourists.

Although in this case I agree it sounds like a small shark or bluefish to me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom