• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    I’m filling out a 219 to register a carry gun. I’m a md resident, and gun is registered to me already, but not in dc. Anyone know the difference between serial number(which I know) and manufacturer ID number(no clue on this one). The form asks for both.
    Thanks for the help. Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I would suggest not carrying the gun in DC then.

I couldn't imagine the kind of stuff they would attempt to stick you with were you to shoot someone with an unregistered firearm, even with a W&C permit from DC.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    JoeyBimmer

Agreed. I’m trying to register the gun with MPD. I called them this morning. They were very helpful. The officer I spoke to said manufacturer id number was not needed. I’v got an appointment with them to register the gun Friday.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    JoeyBimmer

Agreed. I’m trying to register the gun with MPD. I called them this morning. They were very helpful. The officer I spoke to said manufacturer id number was not needed. I’v got an appointment with them to register the gun Friday.

Good, we as quality gun owners must follow as many laws as possible. If someone gets shot by a legal W&C holder, they usually get a bunch of immoral charges thrown at them because the government attorneys don't seem to care about peoples right to self preservation.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Good, we as quality gun owners must follow as many laws as possible. If someone gets shot by a legal W&C holder, they usually get a bunch of immoral charges thrown at them because the government attorneys don't seem to care about peoples right to self preservation.

DC is most definitely in the middle between stand your ground and duty to retreat jurisdictions hinging on what you reasonably believe to be a reasonable assessment at the time you use lethal force
    There are many jurisdictions in the US where it is more difficult to prove legitimate use of lethal force than DC.

Since this is marylandshooters forum it is relevant to point out that it is easier to assert legitimate use of lethal force in DC than it is in Maryland. For example maryland has an explicitly "duty to retreat," while DC does not.

DC:
    Instruction 9.503. SELF-DEFENSE—NO DUTY TO RETREAT BEFORE USING DEADLY FORCE
    The law does not require a person to retreat or consider retreating when s/he actually and reasonably believes that s/he is in danger of death or serious bodily harm and that deadly force is necessary to repel that danger. But the law does say that a person should take reasonable steps, such as stepping back or walking away, to avoid the necessity of taking a human life, so long as those steps are consistent with the person’s own safety. In deciding whether [name of defendant] acted reasonably, you should therefore consider whether s/he could have taken those steps, consistent with his/her own safety.

Different jurisdictions have different probative burdens levels, and also which party has the burden.
    There certainly are US jurisdictions where self defense is easier to assert than either Maryland or DC, but DC generally does fall in the middle when looking at all states and territories.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    DC is most definitely in the middle between stand your ground and duty to retreat jurisdictions hinging on what you reasonably believe to be a reasonable assessment at the time you use lethal force
    There are many jurisdictions in the US where it is more difficult to prove legitimate use of lethal force than DC.

Since this is marylandshooters forum it is relevant to point out that it is easier to assert legitimate use of lethal force in DC than it is in Maryland. For example maryland has an explicitly "duty to retreat," while DC does not.

DC:

Different jurisdictions have different probative burdens levels, and also which party has the burden.
    There certainly are US jurisdictions where self defense is easier to assert than either Maryland or DC, but DC generally does fall in the middle when looking at all states and territories.

how did DC end up with the no duty to retreat in their laws/ordnances?

That is one Maryland should have, in my opinion

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    how did DC end up with the no duty to retreat in their laws/ordnances?
    That is one Maryland should have, in my opinion

How? LOL the same way DC has anything in this area from Heller to Wren or anything -- case law. It sure isn't the DC council's decision on its own!

It is why the actual verbatim jury instruction which must be given to a jury by the judge in a DC lethal force case is one of the few explicit curriculum requirements in DC CCPL/CCW training. Essentially the DC course is actual or cribbed NRA PPOTH plus that DC jury instruction

As a caveat, DC law on defending a third person is not exactly the same as yourself in the technical aspect of the law nor in the practical aspects. The defendant, the person who used deadly force, has a heavy probative burden and may not get that jury instruction under some circumstances
    https://law.justia.com/cases/district-of-columbia/court-of-appeals/1984/83-481-3.html

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    that is not very nice.
    Everyone makes mistakes but the person was corrected on the facts, and on the evidence and then lashed out ad hominem. I know at least a dozen people from Maryland, and two from NJ who have no carry permit in their home states that have DC carry permits.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    I'm gonna apply for DC as my mother-in-law lives there and one of my favorite sandwich shops is in the city. No other real reasons to go there since my dad passed in 2016 and we sold his house.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    I'm gonna apply for DC as my mother-in-law lives there and one of my favorite sandwich shops is in the city. No other real reasons to go there since my dad passed in 2016 and we sold his house.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Bandit Taco, they have two locations.

The Yuca is great, and I get the Chorizo burrito. Worth visiting.

I took my Mexican mechanic there one time, I explained to him prior to bandit I had never had Yuca, he told me it's common, but never really done quite as good as they did it.

GaryAtty

May 13, 2023
    Baltimore
    Good morning,

I work around DC and was considering getting a carry permit,

The certification class has to be taken every two years to renew the permit?

Is it worth having? I have never had a CCW permit in any jurisdiction, and have never carried a firearm, but I am quite familiar with firearms as I have owned them for many years now.

Just wondering what you guys think. It feels a little foolish to me, but I was also considering getting a Utah permit, maybe someone lumps the classes together?

From what I have read I can use the training to get a permit from other states such as Florida. Is this true?

Sorry for the rambling post, but thank you
    I live in MD and have a MD permit but I wanted to be able to carry in border states. I have PA permit, Utah and Florida which allow me to carry in PA and Del. The MD permit allows carrying in Virginia and WV is permitless. DC has so many restrictions that other than driving thru, you can't carry anywhere. I don't think it is worth the time and expense of getting a DC permit.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not as bad as MD wil be after Oct 1 .

It depends on your concept of " going to D.C. " ?

If you mean doing tourist sightseeing, or going to government buildings, not so much .

If you otherwise are out and about in adjacent areas of Maryland or Virginia, moving back and forth over the line is conceivable, and being prepared is better than not .

Shop around for right Instructor , and combined MD & DC classes can be had in same price range as just MD.

Beyond $ , there is hassle involved with DC .

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I thought DC did away with any combined training and requires a full 16hr DC course now..

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    They did away with " conversion " courses .

You can still take a 16 hour class from.a dual certified instructor .

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As Bigfoot mentioned downtown DC is restrictive when it comes to the area around the mall.

Other than that, DC is no worse than some other states when it comes to carry

SigNerd

Feb 24, 2015
    So I happened upon this thread looking for something else and saw the bit about them no longer accepting MD classes with DC law/range add-ons and was surprised since they accepted mine "not that long ago." Tracked down Scotty's report on that and apparently I beat that change by like a month.

God that would have been awful to unexpectedly be told after 87 days "and oh yeah, you have 45 days to do the 16 hours over again, enjoy." Nothing on their website mentions the change, but the acceptance was always at the discretion of the chief.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    If you’re ex military, you are exempt from the range training. But you need to shoot when renewing

ChesterW8: Did you get get your CCW recently?

I've never heard of ex-military being exempt from the range training under the current regime. For active military, MPD wanted your training to have been within the last two years and they wanted a range card and round count (and this was for a SMU individual lol.)

Years ago when they first started issuing CCW they were letting ex-military be exempt from the range training.

But they seem to change their minds monthly on what they accept down there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom