I live in VA but work in DC, is there any way I can travel with a long gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteYourGoals

Mar 16, 2020
    I recently moved from DC to VA, in part because the gun laws are so much better here. I’ve built up my little collection this summer and am really liking firearms training and collecting.

I work in DC though. My building itself is safe and has armed security, but I work right in the thick of things downtown, and also my place of work is a possible target for some violent groups.

In reading everything on the MPD site, I was having trouble parsing if traveling to and from my work with a long gun in a locked case in my trunk is legal or possible. I don’t think I need a full CCW, I don’t want to walk around work carrying, I’d just like a SHTF option if things around my work get out of control when I’m coming into or out of the city. I was able to find the process for residents to register a long gun, but anything about out-of-State I could find seemed to only be talking about handguns.

For anyone with a better understanding of the law than I have (probably everyone here), is getting a full CCW the only way to possesses and transport a firearm if you work in DC? The long guns specifically would be either a Mossberg Maverick 88 12ga or a Ruger PC Carbine 9mm 10+1. Both legal to own in DC if you’re a resident (I was in the process of acquiring them as a DC resident before I moved to VA).

Thanks for any info.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    My understanding is that possession of even a single empty cartridge case in D.C. is a major crime. Don't take any gun into D.C. No ammo. Not even a cleaning patch.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    I recently moved from DC to VA, in part because the gun laws are so much better here. I’ve built up my little collection this summer and am really liking firearms training and collecting.

I work in DC though. My building itself is safe and has armed security, but I work right in the thick of things downtown, and also my place of work is a possible target for some violent groups.

In reading everything on the MPD site, I was having trouble parsing if traveling to and from my work with a long gun in a locked case in my trunk is legal or possible. I don’t think I need a full CCW, I don’t want to walk around work carrying, I’d just like a SHTF option if things around my work get out of control when I’m coming into or out of the city. I was able to find the process for residents to register a long gun, but anything about out-of-State I could find seemed to only be talking about handguns.

For anyone with a better understanding of the law than I have (probably everyone here), is getting a full CCW the only way to possesses and transport a firearm if you work in DC? The long guns specifically would be either a Mossberg Maverick 88 12ga or a Ruger PC Carbine 9mm 10+1. Both legal to own in DC if you’re a resident (I was in the process of acquiring them as a DC resident before I moved to VA).

Thanks for any info.

To register a firearm in DC you’ll have to:
    1) be a resident
    2) own a business in DC
    3) be a non-resident with a concealed carry pistol license(limited to handgun registration only)

So no long gun unless you’re a resident or own a business.

It’s worth it IMO to get the ccpl if you have the time, money and aren’t restricted by your employer. A handgun is better than nothing.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I wouldn’t leave ANY gun in my parked vehicle in DC even if in a locked case in the trunk. Open invitation to theft. Kinda hard to get to a long gun in the trunk if SHTF and you’re driving.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV

Thanks for any info.

CCW is your only legal option

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    and am really liking firearms training and collecting.

It certainly is possible to use business address even if you don't own the business. I know people who do it. But likely may not be a good idea for a multitude of reasons. also leaving it in your car likely would be a problem.

A DCCCPL concealed carry is going to be a much better, less likely to get you into legal trouble or hung up any number of issues.

You indicated you enjoyed training. Well the DC CCPL course is essentially NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home, so taking a DC certified course will be of value to you anyway. Some of the instructors for a small upcharge allow you to bundle the course with certification for other two day type certifications as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom