• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikem623

Jan 8, 2016
    Carney
    While hunting with friends, we discussed if the DNR can come on your property at any time they wanted under the premise of looking for game violations. Can someone shed some light on this. One friend said that while target shooting on his property DNR showed up to investigate. Would not leave until he searched the whole area.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    While hunting with friends, we discussed if the DNR can come on your property at any time they wanted under the premise of looking for game violations. Can someone shed some light on this. One friend said that while target shooting on his property DNR showed up to investigate. Would not leave until he searched the whole area.

I had the same thing happen, years ago. It was all single shot, with slug guns, to sight in. Should have been obvious we were target shooting.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I was told yes they can enter your property. In the same conversation was told they can enter your property to access another property to investigate violations.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III

Attachments

• ded.jpg
      ded.jpg
      25.2 KB · Views: 4,513

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Its long been established that DNR / game wardens can basically go anywhere they want looking for violations. No warrant or PC needed. In some states this extends to your freezers. DNR/game wardens are the most dangerous of police because the basically get a free pass on the 4a, but aren't limited to just hunting/game violations, depending on the state. If you want something to make your blood boil look up the open fields doctrine.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    They don’t need your permission, or a warrant to enter your property.
    As it was explained to me, they are to here protect the wildlife of the state. The state owns the wildlife, no one else, so essentially the wildlife is theirs.
    If they happen to find something else not wildlife related, I’m sure they have to come back with warrant, but I’m not sure?

One of my family members had a pond on their property, that they paid to have stocked with fish. DNR came in one day, as several of us were fishing. They asked if everyone had fishing licenses. The ones that didn’t got warnings. My uncle explained to the officer that the fish weren’t wild, they were bought and payed for. The DNR officer told him the state owns all the fish in the state, and that a fishing license was required. I found that kind of odd.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    As it was explained to me, they are to here protect the wildlife of the state. The state owns the wildlife, no one else, so essentially the wildlife is theirs.
    If they happen to find something else not wildlife related, I’m sure they have to come back with warrant, but I’m not sure?

One of my family members had a pond on their property, that they paid to have stocked with fish. DNR came in one day, as several of us were fishing. They asked if everyone had fishing licenses. The ones that didn’t got warnings. My uncle explained to the officer that the fish weren’t wild, they were bought and payed for. The DNR officer told him the state owns all the fish in the state, and that a fishing license was required. I found that kind of odd.

That does sound odd. I never bought a license to fish a private pond. Maybe theirs new regs?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD

Well, if he owns the goddamn deer, he can come remove them from eating my wife's flowers.

Edit to add: then the state can be sued for contributing to health crisis of Lyme disease.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG

I wonder how they go about entering a dwelling or buildings, without a search warrant?

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Yes, but....we didn't buy , register as real estate, and pay property taxes on the water...

I was simply comparing the two agencies scope of authority. The fact that you bought and paid taxes on real estate makes no difference to DNR/NRP either.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn

wait a minute, so if that were the case, if i have a koi pond in my backyard, the state owns it?

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,

How does that work with fish farming

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom