• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Don't judge me, but this showed up in my YT recs a while back...

Great video.

I wonder how many folks would be up for forming a 1AM rat patrol in the area?

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I have two American Staffordshire terriers - at least, that's what they look like, both rescues - who take me for walks in downtown Silver Spring late at night.

They've figured out where to find the local rat population, and are really hot to trot. Even though we walk on a leash, with them hooked to one another, they occasionally surprise me and spring after a rat, yanking the leash from my hand. (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.)

Their enthusiasm is so strong that I'd like them to have the opportunity to hunt rats in their native rural habitat. I'm thinking farm, where there would be enough rats to keep them busy for a while.

A few years back, someone posted a video of this sort of affair, and it looked like a lot of fun, except maybe for the rodents. These dogs are bred for taking out vermin, and I'd like them to be able to use their instincts while performing a public service. Letting them scrabble around dumpsters in an urban setting is not the best solution, IMO.

So if there's anyone who has this sort of circumstance who would welcome a couple extra volunteers. my dogs would be happy to know about it.
    You might think that, but your best bet is to go south, not north, for more rats. DC has plenty, and you wouldn't have to go far to get to them (sounds like you have a good number right where you're at). Most farms don't have rat issues like you see in the YT videos. If they do, it will most likely be around other animals (chickens, pigs, etc) and you wouldn't be able to get your dogs in there anyways.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    My cousin's cat of yesteryear, Satin, lived up to his name. He was a big cat and used to bring in everything from snakes to groundhogs in through the dog door - ALIVE. He would then drop whatever he had at Margene's feet before she could even react. Luckily she was a tough broad and was able to handle it. The camel crickets get my wife shrieking so she would have a stroke if some of the things Marge had to deal with came in. :lol:

LOL.

Thanks for the laugh.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    How now, a rat? Dead for a ducat, dead.

th

I think we are in rats' alley, where the dead men lost their bones.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I have fond memories of my Michigan grandfather sitting at night in an Adirondack chair under a willow tree twenty yards from his hen house with a bolt-action Stevens, a box of Winchester .22 shorts, a flashlight and a glass of iced tea reducing the surplus rat population. He'd leave them where they dropped and they'd always be gone in the morning thanks to the badgers, foxes, cats, and who knows what other nocturnal undertakers. Tuesday was rat night, weather permitting. Said he could never bring himself to shoot them on weekends, and nobody should die on a Monday with the whole week still ahead of them. Long years on the Great Lakes in the Coast Guard gave him some funny notions, I think. But he never, ever missed with that Stevens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom