• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    Anyone into metal detecting? Recently got my wear and carry, so now going to brave some of the places I wasn't to keen on detecting, like the woods of Leakin Park and maybe some sketchy curb strips around Baltimore built over civil war sites.

Some pics from Anne Arundel and surrounding counties of metal detecting finds. https://photos.app.goo.gl/DVn8njigg7Rwuw9w5

Always happy to buddy up with any other detectorists.

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    I had interest in this a few years ago but got put off by the paperwork involved in doing it in Baltimore City and Baltimore County.

http://www.marsdetecting.org/PDF/BaltimoreCountyPermit.pdf
    http://marylandfreestateclub.com/PDF/City Metal Detecting Permit 2016.pdf

It is a minor nuisance, but pretty easy to knock out. It is pretty lame that they tie one of the permits to membership in a club that has to get signed off on.

I actually mostly do permission metal detecting, door knocking on old properties for permission. 8 out of 10 door knocks results in a yes. I just did a house in Odenton that dates back to the Civil War, found a couple buttons and some Ford Model-T parts which was pretty cool.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Anyone into metal detecting? Recently got my wear and carry, so now going to brave some of the places I wasn't to keen on detecting, like the woods of Leakin Park and maybe some sketchy curb strips around Baltimore built over civil war sites.

Some pics from Anne Arundel and surrounding counties of metal detecting finds. https://photos.app.goo.gl/DVn8njigg7Rwuw9w5

Vegans, cross-fitters, permit holders .....

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    Found my first large cent recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! I found my first one at a park in Bowie, I was so stoked. Just found another on a permission locally here in Arnold, but I gave it to the property owner because it has some significance to the property. It had a nail hole through it, and they used to nail them to new barns for good luck.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY

Wow, some great finds! Congratulations on your discoveries. I never realized there was that much good stuff to discover in AACO.

If I had more time I'd love to buddy up with you and learn the ropes; alas I'm extremely time-limited for the foreseeable future.

I have used my detector to help some folks out. A buddy of mine lost the keys to his boat in his yard and couldn't find them despite his best efforts. I've also discovered buried survey markers for property boundaries. But nothing like what you've done.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    For all you detectorists, there is a show on Amazon prime that I am in love with called "The Detectorists". It's a British show, so that may be a stretch for some, but it is beautifuly filmed and is about two guys in Essex, their metal detecting club and the search for gold, meaning, purpose. It's very well written, made me cry a bit, and I would 10/10 recommend it if you're looking for something new and different.

seawalker

Apr 11, 2021
    City GTTF

Lol! Leakin Park, you might find some bodies. Cool finds. Where did you find the civil war musket rounds?

I walk my dog a lot in patapsco state park and I’ve thought about metal detecting some of those abandoned ruins that are everywhere but I’m sure they’ve been throughly picked through.

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    For all you detectorists, there is a show on Amazon prime that I am in love with called "The Detectorists". It's a British show, so that may be a stretch for some, but it is beautifuly filmed and is about two guys in Essex, their metal detecting club and the search for gold, meaning, purpose. It's very well written, made me cry a bit, and I would 10/10 recommend it if you're looking for something new and different.

I love The Detectorists, and I'm not a huge fan of dry humor. They definitely had someone in the hobby consulting on the show, because they worked in so many comedic nuances to metal detecting. I probably watch the whole series every 6 months.

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    Lol! Leakin Park, you might find some bodies. Cool finds. Where did you find the civil war musket rounds?

I walk my dog a lot in patapsco state park and I’ve thought about metal detecting some of those abandoned ruins that are everywhere but I’m sure they’ve been throughly picked through.

For real about the bodies, that place is sketchy as hell but there is a ton of Civil War stuff in those woods.

I've found them all over AACO and surrounding, some at Broadneck Park which used to be the site of a Civil War field hospital, some on Ft. Meade, and sprinkled around all over.

The great thing about detecting is no site is ever hunted out, and then as technology increases and newer machines are able to search through trash more and go deeper it will open up old hunted out sites again.

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    Wow, some great finds! Congratulations on your discoveries. I never realized there was that much good stuff to discover in AACO.

If I had more time I'd love to buddy up with you and learn the ropes; alas I'm extremely time-limited for the foreseeable future.

I have used my detector to help some folks out. A buddy of mine lost the keys to his boat in his yard and couldn't find them despite his best efforts. I've also discovered buried survey markers for property boundaries. But nothing like what you've done.

Thanks, a lot of the finds were from private property permission hunts, but those have kind of died off since Covid. Most people don't like strangers showing up at their door anymore, its not as easy to get permission like it was.

I see you're in Crownsville, I've tried to detect the old hospital a bunch of times but always end up in a tussle with the private security that roams that place. It's still public property, but they're quick to call the police, who don't really care that you are detecting but just want the angry fat lady to stop blowing up their phone.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    I just received permission to detect at my childhood home which was tore down a few years ago. I have to do it on a weekend. I am sure in the 10 + years i lived there i dropped a ton of stuff. I can't wait.

Nobody

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    I just received permission to detect at my childhood home which was tore down a few years ago. I have to do it on a weekend. I am sure in the 10 + years i lived there i dropped a ton of stuff. I can't wait.

Nobody

That's awesome, I hope you find some great stuff. My grandmother recently died and my Dad put the family farm I grew up in for sale in South Jersey, and that was motivation enough to find the time to go back for about 4 days and pound it as hard as I could. I found so many unique stuff that belonged to various generations of the family over the course of a century.

I hope you find some great stuff. And awesome patch, it was the first I wore in the Army, 8/8 Field Artillery out of Camp Hovey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom