• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jim

MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2015
    I am building an AR9 and didn't realize until I inserted the bolt catch roll pin that the lower came with a screw in pin :(. I would just leave the roll pin in, but the bolt catch is really stiff.

There isn't a hole on the other side to drive it out, any thoughts to a safe way to get the roll pin out?

Thanks!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Inertia:

Lube the unwanted pin really good.
    Let lube soak in.
    Turn the open end of the unwanted pin facing downward, and rasp against wood forcefully block until it falls out.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Thread a small tap into the end of the rollpin and use vise grips to pull. Definitely soak it in oil first.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Inertia:

Lube the unwanted pin really good.
    Let lube soak in.
    Turn the open end of the unwanted pin facing downward, and rasp against wood forcefully block until it falls out.

I'd be pretty surprised if you could get a roll pin to fall out like that unless it was too small for the hole.

jim

MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2015
    YOU GUYS ROCK!

Oil and lightly tapping with a nylon hammer did the trick!

Thanks SO much!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Oil and lightly tapping with a nylon hammer did the trick!

Thanks SO much!

Just got to the thread, this works with the majority of threaded pin holes that are larger than mil-spec roll pins, or some P80 lowers that use a solid pin, and holt it with a set screw on top, where the pin doesn't fit all that tight. In the cases where a pin is put into a blind hole, and it fits tight, there is another couple methods. a small screw can be put in, and pulled with pliers if there is enough room around the head, but if it doesn't work, you can swell the pin and make it tighter. Use a punch or finishing nail that just barely slides into the center of the roll pin. pack it with grease till the roll pin is filled, then hit the pin in the center with a non marring hammer. Grease pressure forced into the blind hole will push the pin out far enough to grab it with pliers and pull it.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    When inserting or removing the bolt catch roll pin; this is what works for me:
    1. Get the lower in a vice. A vice block made for an AR lower is best if you have one, might be tricky for AR9.
    2. Get a roll pin punch that is flat on one side.
    3. Now you can tap it out.
    4. If you are putting one together, using another punch as a pilot to hold the catch in is helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom