• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I have a set of the 10x tactical ones with the retical I'd be willing to part with. great glass I just needed a touch more magnification for my needs. I still use them for whistlepig hunting, just not for competition as intended. I went with vortex Kaibabs and they're a touch too much once and a while but pretty sweet when they're in their element. PM me if your interested.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    So this is a bit disappointing. I stated in an earlier post that the current production military Marine binoculars seemed different from what I remember them being back in the early 2000s. I didn’t know this but Steiner was bought out back in the late 2000’s by Beretta Holdings Group. After that, Beretta started messing with the product line. From what I can gather their “budget” line(under 500 Euro) of binoculars are not made totally in Germany anymore but are outsourced and just assembled in Germany. The military marine models I wanted for so many years seem to be one of the lines that fell to the outsourcing. I don’t know what country they outsource to but Made In Germany has been taken off the binoculars according to several reviews I’ve read. I should’ve bought them back then when they were still made in Germany.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I have a set of the 10x tactical ones with the retical I'd be willing to part with. great glass I just needed a touch more magnification for my needs. I still use them for whistlepig hunting, just not for competition as intended. I went with vortex Kaibabs and they're a touch too much once and a while but pretty sweet when they're in their element. PM me if your interested.

Very kind of you to offer, but the reticle models are well outside of my price range. Thanks though!

Last edited:

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Yeah, I will keep an eye out on the used market. There’s a military show in October that I’ll be going to so I’ll keep an eye out for them there. I have a feeling now that the new models are outsourced the old models might be bringing more money than I’m willing to spend for a used pair, but we shall see.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Update. So my final decision is the current company just rubs me the wrong way and I wont be buying from them. I don't expect anyone to agree with me and I know this is probably a first world problem. This is just my recent experience with them and my thoughts.

I emailed both Steiner USA and Steiner Germany about the possibility of their lower tier binoculars being outsourced. I referenced the reports and reviews I read about the current production binoculars not being German made. I was very clear that I wanted to know where they are actually manufactured. They will not deviate from the exact wording "come from Germany". Steiner USA has even ignored my second email for clarification. I honestly don't care if the binoculars are made in China. Thats not what bothers me. What bothers me is that I have asked multiple times for exact information and they will not say YES/NO. Im given the evasive answer that they all COME from Germany. I know what that means. I used to work for a Caterpillar dealer. Technically the parts I sold you came from CAT in the USA. In reality they are made in China, Mexico, the UK, France, etc.

If anyone is interested here are some excerpts from those emails.

Me- "I understand the website says all products come from Germany, but are the military/marine binoculars made there? I noticed “made in Germany” seems to be taken off of the product and it’s packaging. Trying to find the information online leads to several claims that the parts are outsourced and only assembled at Steiner in Germany. Thank you for any help! Have a great day!"

Steiner USA- "The Military Marines come from Germany."

Me- "I was wondering if you could help me out. I am trying to gather information so I can choose a pair of binoculars. I was looking into the Military-Marine line available here in the USA. I would like to get a quality pair of German binoculars but found several reports that the lower cost binoculars are now outsourced and no longer totally made in Germany. The lack of country of origin on the binoculars and packaging seems to confirm this. Steiner USA and all the retailers here can not tell me where they come from. Can you please help me out? Is the Military-Marine line of binoculars 100% made in Germany or not? If they are not made 100% in Germany, what line of binoculars are so I can get a quality German made product?"

Steiner Germany- "In this age of globalisation and internationalisation of worldwide markets even Steiner depends on international supply of some accessories like carrying strap, pouches etc. But we can assure you that all Steiner binoculars come from Bayreuth / Germany."

Im really bummed about this. I so wanted that German pair of Military/Marines that I remember from years ago. Thanks everyone who gave input to this thread. Good or bad, I hope it helps others to make an informed decision. Have a great day yall!

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    The Germans and Austrians were buying Japanese glass decades ago. Not really a secret but they’ve always been a bit sheepish about it.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I read your exchange with Steiner a couple of times and I think you got your answer loud and clear...they are not made in Germany.

You clearly express an interest in German-made optics and, if they were, Steiner no doubt would have proclaimed MADE IN GERMANY in bold letters in responding to you and on the product. They came as close to saying that as their lawyers would allow...but they didn't say it.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The real question you should ask yourself is whether "made in Germany" is actually better quality than "made in Asia". Likely not anymore.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I read your exchange with Steiner a couple of times and I think you got your answer loud and clear...they are not made in Germany.

You clearly express an interest in German-made optics and, if they were, Steiner no doubt would have proclaimed MADE IN GERMANY in bold letters in responding to you and on the product. They came as close to saying that as their lawyers would allow...but they didn't say it.

These were my exact thoughts too. These guys are living off the legacy and happily let/encourage people to assume.

The real question you should ask yourself is whether "made in Germany" is actually better quality than "made in Asia". Likely not anymore.

This is also true. I mean, my Chinese Nikons have a beautiful picture and they aren't even the expensive ones. I know great things can be made anywhere by the right talented people. I just want a company to be up front about it.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

*****This. There is some phenomenal glass coming out of Asia for medical devices, including very specialized microscopes, magnification optics for surgeons, and the like.

Germany no longer has a monopoly on well made glass and optics. The technology involved and specialization in certain industries that use high quality optics has shifted away from Europe in some fields.

This is true in many cases of course, but many companies and reputations are built on legacy and memories from long ago on products that were state of the art at the time but now have more competition and in some cases the competition has not only caught up but exceeded in making better products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom