Thinking of getting a AirForce PcP, but...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I haven't done a hell of a lot of research. And it's spotty actually putting it all together searching the thread.
    I am thinking about getting this or the "carbine". To target shoot and little rodent shooting.

Here is my understanding.... Help me through this in a nutshell.

Get a $1,000 high compression air compressor, or a $200 high pressure foot pump, or take a 3k psi cylinder to a scuba shop to fill up the gun air tank. Which way up here in Northeast PA, I don't think there is a scuba shop within 60 miles. I dunno.
    It just seems a lot of travel, cost, or footwork with a hand pump(100-200 pumps)manually to fire an average of 30 effective shots or so.

I am not sure if the inconvenience is a good return on investment of a $500 to $1,000 or more into a rifle. I really want one of these bad ass AirForce guns, but not if getting to shoot is going to take the fun out of it.

https://www.airgundepot.com/airforce-talonp-pistol-afu1080.html

Attachments

• TalonP.jpg
      TalonP.jpg
      12.6 KB · Views: 551

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you're not Scuba certified, they won't fill your tank.
    But I happen to know a guy...

ETA- This is likely the closest dive shop to you, a little north of Scranton...
    Like 'da Fish Scuba
    172 Poor Farm Road, Greenfield Township, PA 18407

So, I take a scuba tank to fill the little 3k psi tank on the gun?
    How many times can I fill the gun with a scuba tank?

You could probably get 6-7 fills before the pressure dropped enough that you would notice. Fill 1- 3000psi, fill 2- 2800psi, fill 3 2600psi, etc.
    The adaptors to go from an 80 or 100cu/ft scuba tank would be the part I couldn't help with.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick

My daughter shoots Intl air rifle and whilst in HS shot roughly 100 shots per day. We have a scuba tank which the local dive shop filled for us without issue. (Not scuba certified). Tank gets vis inspected and hydro tested on schedule.

Her PCP cylinder spins right into the adapter in the scuba tank valve. Tank plus a DIN valve cost us some coin ($150 IIRC) but given the volume she shoots, no other way I’d want to do it...

832f896e153c7c17877b54dcf5435ba1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    If you're not Scuba certified, they won't fill your tank.
    But I happen to know a guy...

ETA- This is likely the closest dive shop to you, a little north of Scranton...
    Like 'da Fish Scuba
    172 Poor Farm Road, Greenfield Township, PA 18407

Not true. I'm not certified (well not for SCUBA, certifiable, perhaps) and I have a SCUBA tank I get filled at the SCUBA shop. I just tell them I use it for PCP rifle and they are good. A shop MAY have you sign a waiver stating you aren't using for SCUBA related activities to CTA but I've never had an issue. As required, however, the tank HAS to be hydro tested every so many years. That's just a safety requirement to make sure the tank doesn't blow up while filling it to high pressure.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I was in the PCP game for a bit and found it was not for me. Lots of goodness there but not my thing. Tank fill was a PIA and the noise was more than other options.

I got tanks filled without being scuba certified. I think the larger issue is that they don't fill to PCP pressures at all places. If your gun is set for 4000 and they only fill to 3000 then you'll never get the performance you are wanting/expecting from your gun. And, if they do fill to your gun's level you only get a few or one shot at the claimed speed.

So, think about a compressor if you do it. That is how I will do it if I get back into them. Not cheap, but you are then on your own to go for years.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    The other option for a tank is to get an scba tank that firefighters use. Before doing this check with your volunteer fire company to see if they'll fill it. Keep in mind there is an expiration date for the certification on the tank if you go this route. There is also a company that will recertify if memory serves correct.

ETA they make an adapter to fill a scuba tanks at the firehouse as well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

bgoodsoil

Aug 24, 2020
    I've got the Yong Heng. They're $400 now and it's been great. Just be extra sure that the water is on. They'll burn up with no flow. I have the water pump and the compressor on a switched outlet so that I literally can't turn the compressor on if the water pump isn't flowing.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    How accurate is it?
    I would not mind it for squirrels or target shooting (I have my own scuba tanks already)

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Exactly what are you shooting and how far?.
    Reason I ask is I have a nitro piston brake barrel 22 pellet and can hunt rabbits at 25 yards. Killed ground hogs at 15 yards with well placed shot behind ear.
    Killed squirrels at 29 yards( edge of my property)
    Just another option.

I too would like a pcp rifle but to me unless I were to go all in with several,not worth investment

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Exactly what are you shooting and how far?.
    Reason I ask is I have a nitro piston brake barrel 22 pellet and can hunt rabbits at 25 yards. Killed ground hogs at 15 yards with well placed shot behind ear.
    Killed squirrels at 29 yards( edge of my property)
    Just another option.

I too would like a pcp rifle but to me unless I were to go all in with several,not worth investment

It's a dark hole. Once you get a PCP, you WILL by more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom