• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Hey guys!

I'm going to give a lady friend of mine a nice roast cut that was in my freezer. Can you tell me exactly how she can cook it so it comes out right?

I think she may have a propane grill. I've seen it done on the "Meateater" show on a pellet smoker but he doesn't go into detail on the temp or time he cooks it.

I know the meat is very low on fat so you can't cook it too long whatever way you do it.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Souse vide, shallots, garlic, rosemary, 20 hours at 129*. Salt and pepper when done and sear in a hot skillet for 1 min per side.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Have not tried it yet but friend of mine up in the Shannendoah mountains who was raised on game tells me the secret is in brinning the meat after you have properly hung the meat the few days after harvesting in a cool place.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Marinate fir a few hours in balsamic vinegar salad dressing and Montreal steak seasoning and grill to 145.

Do not over cook!!!!

Simple as that

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I do about 15-20 "Football Roasts" a year on the smoker.
    Marinade in Italian dressing for 1-24 hours after stabbing the $hit out of it with a fork.
    Smoker at 225-250F, cooked until 125-130 degF.

I then use my cheapO thin slicer

OldTimeyGoodness

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 2, 2020
    Hey guys!

I'm going to give a lady friend of mine a nice roast cut that was in my freezer. Can you tell me exactly how she can cook it so it comes out right?

I think she may have a propane grill. I've seen it done on the "Meateater" show on a pellet smoker but he doesn't go into detail on the temp or time he cooks it.

I know the meat is very low on fat so you can't cook it too long whatever way you do it.

Cooking Venison is challenging. If you really want to get it in with you lady friend.. Get it fully prepared and complete the above marinade and give it to her so she just has to throw it on the grill and wait.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    So how many days was it aged before being frozen? Huge factor in tenderness. If it went from the field straight to the freezer I would let it sit in the fridge for 5 days. I like to grill my roasts to medium rare. The square grouper secret seasoning goes great on em. I also smoke em to medium and slice em for sandwiches. But tenderness is key and comes from age.

So how many days was it aged before being frozen? Huge factor in tenderness. If it went from the field straight to the freezer I would let it sit in the fridge for 5 days. I like to grill my roasts to medium rare. The square grouper secret seasoning goes great on em. I also smoke em to medium and slice em for sandwiches. But tenderness is key and comes from age.

G&S Seasoning (PM me) liberally and rest for 20+ minutes and smoked at 225f to 250f until medium rare or medium at the most.
    Do not cook venison beyond medium. Well done venison is horrible.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Souse vide, shallots, garlic, rosemary, 20 hours at 129*. Salt and pepper when done and sear in a hot skillet for 1 min per side.

If you sous vide over 2 hours, the min recommended temp is 131f which is the pasteurization temp for most red meats according to the table I use. 141 for pork and poultry. Under 2 hours I sous vide my venison and steak at 127. Sub 131 temp provide a breeding ground for bacteria to grow.

If anyone has other data on lower safe temps, please let me know. One should also note the temp variations of your particular sous vide machine. Some cheaper ones can vary a few degrees.

The above recipe looks tasty. I use a searing burner on my grill instead of a pan to keep my smoke detectors from going off :-)

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    IMO aging venison does nothing, I know that statement will ruffle feathers, but it is an old school technique, it does work on beef if done properly but not venison. Throw it in a ziplock bag with Dale's steak marinade, sprinkle with montreal seasoning and put it in smoker or on the grill. Use a meat thermometer to tell when its done, the end...

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Make sure you trim it out good. The fat/silver skin is nasty stuff. Blade roasts in particular need some trim work.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Have not tried it yet but friend of mine up in the Shannendoah mountains who was raised on game tells me the secret is in brinning the meat after you have properly hung the meat the few days after harvesting in a cool place.

Makes a pretty good roast.

Went camping over the weekend and brined up a nice 2# roast. About a cup and a half of apple cider, maybe tablespoon or so of apple cider vinegar. Probably 2tsp of salt. A bunch of grinds of black pepper. 2tsp of yellow mustard seed. A couple tablespoons of honey. A couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. A pinch of savory. About a tsp of garlic powder (was in a hurry and too lazy to cut up garlic cloves to throw in).

Brined for the day in the fridge and then in the cooler. Cooked that night with potatoes grown in the garden, a white onion also from the garden, a few carrots also from the garden, a few sticks of celery and a small head of purple cabbage. Cooked in the campfire in a Dutch oven with some water added (maybe a quart?) for around 2hrs. Cut the roast in half around the 1hr mark to let it cook a bit faster.

Everyone, big fan. Meat was nice and tender, but not fall apart (I like my cabbage stews a bit more fall apart, but my kids don't).

tatoocrab

Sep 20, 2010
    tracy's landing / beltsville
    IMO aging venison does nothing, I know that statement will ruffle feathers, but it is an old school technique, it does work on beef if done properly but not venison. Throw it in a ziplock bag with Dale's steak marinade, sprinkle with montreal seasoning and put it in smoker or on the grill. Use a meat thermometer to tell when its done, the end...

I think hanging dressed deer for 7 to 10 days taste better and tender.
    Never try parts aged.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Love the old school sear, season, carrots, onion, celery, potatoes and herbs, with some beef broth and red wine, cooked low and slow.

Since getting the sous vide, I’ve been searing, then blending up fresh rosemary, cracked pepper, Dash, onion, and Montreal seasoning, and coating the roast with that in the bag. Then sous vide for at least 8 hours, 12 or more is ok too. Then I light one side of the grill, with a smoke tube full of pellets, the roast goes on the other side and gets flipped every half hour, and brushed with the leftover liquid from the sous vide bag. That’s another 5-6 hours. But wow, the results are worth it. I usually do multiple roasts, including beef roasts at the same time. Otherwise it just goes so fast. It’s great serving on nice rolls, with some Swiss cheese and horseradish mayo. Or just picking at the slices and eating them right off the cutting board.

Edit; I also add fresh garlic cloves to whatever method I’m using.

Last edited:

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Love the old school sear, season, carrots, onion, celery, potatoes and herbs, with some beef broth and red wine, cooked low and slow.

Since getting the sous vide, I’ve been searing, then blending up fresh rosemary, cracked pepper, Dash, onion, and Montreal seasoning, and coating the roast with that in the bag. Then sous vide for at least 8 hours, 12 or more is ok too. Then I light one side of the grill, with a smoke tube full of pellets, the roast goes on the other side and gets flipped every half hour, and brushed with the leftover liquid from the sous vide bag. That’s another 5-6 hours. But wow, the results are worth it. I usually do multiple roasts, including beef roasts at the same time. Otherwise it just goes so fast. It’s great serving on nice rolls, with some Swiss cheese and horseradish mayo. Or just picking at the slices and eating them right off the cutting board.

I have to try this searing first process. Do you do a 2nd sear after the sous vide? Also what temp for the sous vide? Thanks in advance.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    I have to try this searing first process. Do you do a 2nd sear after the sous vide? Also what temp for the sous vide? Thanks in advance.

The grilling takes care of the second sear. I have done a second sear on roasts that I have done sous vide for long cooks of 20-24 hours, and not grilled or smoked after. Rolled in butter and oil pan searing, or brushed on and broiled to get it nice on the outside.

130F is a pretty common temp for venison roast. 135 if you like it medium. Temp has a big effect on texture. Especially with fish and seafood. Lobster tails you will see at 130-135, but I prefer the texture that 145-150 results in.

It sounds like extra work, but not really. The prep and finish work are pretty easy, and not very time consuming.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Wrap it in aluminum foil after you pour: can of condensed mushroom soup (no water), small can of mushroom slices, one packet of onion soup mix (powder). Cook 350 degree until done.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Cooking Venison is challenging. If you really want to get it in with you lady friend.. Get it fully prepared and complete the above marinade and give it to her so she just has to throw it on the grill and wait.

Ha ha...she's very married but she cuts my hair the way I like it and is a sweetheart.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    I use a spicy rib rub the day before cooking; the brown sugar in the rub liquifies and sticks to the roast. On cook day, I smoke low and slow to an internal temp of 145 degrees. Slice thin across the grain. Definitely a crowd pleaser

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom