• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    My max out of pocket went to 52,500 which I met last year. Year before it was 2500

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    A lot of companies have gone to very high deductible plans. The cost of insurance is skyrocketing.

Its basically catastrophic insurance.
    You shell out $1400/month for a family and still have to pay the first $6000 out of pocket.
    Oh, but well care is "free."

I wish we could go back to how it was a few decades ago where you had "hospitalization" insurance. When you got a physical or had a bad cold you went to your doctor and paid him. Then you went to Peoples drug store and paid for you prescription. If you had a baby or fell off a roof, your hospitalization kicked in. Honestly I don't know how we got away from that type of system.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Its basically catastrophic insurance.
    You shell out $1400/month for a family and still have to pay the first $6000 out of pocket.
    Oh, but well care is "free."

I wish we could go back to how it was a few decades ago where you had "hospitalization" insurance. When you got a physical or had a bad cold you went to your doctor and paid him. Then you went to Peoples drug store and paid for you prescription. If you had a baby or fell off a roof, your hospitalization kicked in. Honestly I don't know how we got away from that type of system.

At least you get a "free" physical......

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I had been on my wife's plan since it was about $150 cheaper than my Fed BCBS plan. I had to switch to my Fed plan 5 years before retirement in order to keep it in retirement.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Go back and read my post about applications. I've applied many many times and have been well qualified and even over qualified but the hiring system isn't exactly what you're making it out to be. If it was a system based on open competition and merit then some of the people filling the seats would be out on their asses for extreme lack of efficiency. The tenured and non-competitive nature of government jobs make them worth far more than the salary and benefits alone. That same tenured status also makes them magnets for those who just want to park their asses until retirement. If you're not pushing the system to higher efficiency then you're helping propagate by inaction the very stereotype that you're taking offense at. So yes you should be concerned about the schmuck in the next cubicle who slacks off all day because it reflects on you since you're part of the same team.

So we at least know where your disdain is. You weren't hired.

News for you...every job has good workers and bad workers. Rather it be the cook at your favorite restaurant, the server there, or the bust boy.

The guy who does your brakes and takes the extra few minutes each day to clean up after themselves so they don't have a filthy shop.

The person at the Chik Fil A window who greets with a sincere smile and hello as opposed to the one who mumbles and hands you your food.

There's good handyman and plumbers and bad ones. It goes on and on.

I have, and found that other successful folks, focus 100% of their energy at work on their work and production. And they expect and allow management to deal with the others who aren't up to par.

I don't hold a grudge for the Regional Manager at Giant who gets a 100k a year and a car to take home and a cell phone plan. Each job market has it's perks and benefits along with his headaches.

If getting benefits were more important to me then pay I would look for a job that offered better benefits. That's my point.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Your uncle says that he is going to pay you $100 to sit in a chair. When he pays you, he tells you that you have to give him $25 and you get $75. It was your uncles money to begin with so in reality, he only paid you $75 to sit in the chair.
    The neighbor says that she will pay you $100 to build her a dog house. When you are finished, she tells you that she has to give your uncle $25 of the $100 that she was going to pay you because your uncle is a big brute and intimidates her.

Do government employees really pay taxes or is their uncle only paying them the $75?

Just some food for thought.

To continue the story;
    Uncle does not work and has never held a job or produced anything of use so, the only way he has money to pay the $75 is to do the same thing to the rest of the neighbors as he did to the lady across the street. Each of them has to pay him $25. Your first thought would be that he only needs $75 to pay you, wrong. How does Uncle live if he only collects enough to pay you? He must collect enough to support himself too. Now, Uncle lives a pretty extravagant lifestyle what with all those vacations and holiday trips all over the world. His girlfriend is pretty high maintenance and he takes her with him on all those wonderful excursions. She needs expensive clothes and jewelry so that she can look the part. Since there are not enough neighbors, Uncle needs to collect from the residents of the next community just to support her. Pretty soon, he decides that he is worthy of more than that old chevy so, he decides to get a limo. That requires a chauffeur so, Uncle needs more money and decides to collect from the townspeople. When ever Uncle needs more, he simply increases his base of revenue by expanding territory or raising the rates. As you can see, Uncle is taking in a lot of money from those around him who work for it while Uncle does not. Pretty sweet isn't it. That is until the people decide that they have had enough and don't need or are not afraid of Uncle anymore.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    A lot of companies have gone to very high deductible plans. The cost of insurance is skyrocketing.

Do you see this for those working in the healthcare industry as well? Just curious. My wife is a nurse, and I don't recollect her colleagues mentioning a bump (I carry my wife on my gov't work plan). On the other hand, other friends in middle class white collar/blue collar jobs have seen rates go up incredibly in the last few years and talk about this frequently.

Just wondering if other sectors are momentarily insulated and how broadly the pain of increases are being felt. From my anecdotal experiences, this appears to be hitting folks in the middle class harder, as previously well paid friends in fields related to mine outside the gov't have continued to get wage increases and never really complain about healthcare costs (but are people on their way up professionally, so maybe not be good to compare against).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom