• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bensmiata

The Newbie
    Dec 23, 2009
    MD
    My permit expires in March. I understand that I don't need the training/range class because of the mayor's order +45 days after the end of the emergency if it expires etc etc. However I would like to get the renewal class/range time done.

Is anyone doing it? I checked online against the MPD's list, but renewal classes are few and far between, even in normal times. It seems the majority are regular classes.

Thanks!

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Renewals are averaging $100 to $125, but there are instructors doing renewals for as little as $75 plus range fees. And as "critical times" pointed out just about every instructor will allow you to sit in on law module of their regular class for your renewal requirement.

I also know people who have done their renewal course up to nine months before doing renewal application

SharpShoooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2020
    Renewals are averaging $100 to $125, but there are instructors doing renewals for as little as $75 plus range fees. And as "critical times" pointed out just about every instructor will allow you to sit in on law module of their regular class for your renewal requirement.

I also know people who have done their renewal course up to nine months before doing renewal application

I got mine around March, then realized I couldn't renew my DC permit, or rather they are not renewing them yet. This pandemic and DC could stay this way for a while, how long does a valid training cert last to quality for renewal?

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I got mine around March, then realized I couldn't renew my DC permit, or rather they are not renewing them yet. This pandemic and DC could stay this way for a while, how long does a valid training cert last to quality for renewal?
    I did my renewal online last year. I did not step into the MPD office for that.

As far as the length of validity of the the renewal training mine was easily 6 months before my due date. Before scheduling my renewal training I had called to ask how long the training was valid for for renewal, and two people there said two years just like length of validity of first time training. I don't know if I would push it to far since there is a growing tendency at that office to default to making every aspect a pain in the elbow.

By the way on a practical note, the main change in laws since you first got yours is that any non FOPA possession of a >10 round magazine in DC has gone from a misdemeanor to a felony, in a gun or absent a gun at all. The criminals would get that pled down, a conceal carrier would doubtless get the full jack

SharpShoooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2020
    I did my renewal online last year. I did not step into the MPD office for that.

As far as the length of validity of the the renewal training mine was easily 6 months before my due date. Before scheduling my renewal training I had called to ask how long the training was valid for for renewal, and two people there said two years just like length of validity of first time training. I don't know if I would push it to far since there is a growing tendency at that office to default to making every aspect a pain in the elbow.

By the way on a practical note, the main change in laws since you first got yours is that any non FOPA possession of a >10 round magazine in DC has gone from a misdemeanor to a felony, in a gun or absent a gun at all. The criminals would get that pled down, a conceal carrier would doubtless get the full jack

I did mine online, about 2months before renewal date. Renewal date came and its still been pending. Called MPD and said don't worry about they not renewing until pandemic is over.

Well I have MD too, but I just keep it 10 and 10 to be legal going throughout the DMV

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I did mine online, about 2months before renewal date. Renewal date came and its still been pending. Called MPD and said don't worry about they not renewing until pandemic is over.
    Well I have MD too, but I just keep it 10 and 10 to be legal going throughout the DMV

Well what is worrisome about that is, while we have no reciprocity with anyone, we have recognition with lot of states, including ones like Virginia where I regularly carry based on my DC license. Some states that don't recognize ours for carry, do recognize ours for getting a easy local carry license (eg Pennsylvania) and I wonder what happens when you are at the office of a county sheriff in Pennsylvania trying to convince them that your expired DC license is ok.

Even long before Covid, after DC lost the renewal of registration case, lots of us had registration cards that were expired. This was also worrisome if you were in certain other jurisdictions as you could not readily establish FOPA compliance to say a NY State trooper that might be stopping you handing them an explicitly expired registration, and trying to tell them that your DC beginning of journey or end of journey possession was legal.

Risk of being cuffed and taken in til they figure it out increases.

SharpShoooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2020
    Risk of being cuffed and taken in til they figure it out increases.

Yeap, I worry that even all DC officers know about this delay. I do keep a copy of the printout of the statement saying expired licenses are okay until pandemic is over. Not trying to sit in jail while the law figures out that I am actually legal to carry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom