Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Preppers
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 26th, 2020, 10:23 PM #21

not a fan of the shottie for HD. despite myth, you can somewhat easily miss with a shotgun, esp at closer ranges. just hit a 3 gun match and you'll see... next is, with a long barrel there is more out there for a bad guy to grab, and it's unwieldy going around corners etc. and of course the kick, esp for smaller statured folks. then of course, limited mag capacity and pretty hard to reload.

i actually think a pistol caliber carbine (pcc) in 9mm is an ideal HD firearm. you hold it with both hands and into your shoulder so it's pretty steady. not nearly as unwieldy as a shottie. almost no recoil. huge mag capacity.

that said, i have a bedside glock 31 for hd. small form factor.

but there's a reason PCC's are normally at the top of competitions, pretty easy to shoot fast & accurately. even folks with limited firearms experience can pick up a pcc and do pretty good with it.
davsco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2020, 10:36 PM #22

The early consensus and Grimmar15's post are not in conflict .

I stand by my assertions that a 12ga is the best for total multi tasking for absolutely everything . Best gun for specific HD , and best HD gun for non shooters are two separate discussions in themselves .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2020, 10:41 PM #23

Double barrel shotgun... say Joe.....lol
nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2020, 11:12 PM #24
Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigoes View Post
For the family? 20 guage shotgun.

It can be shot from your youngest children to you, including the wife and mother in law.

And it shoots buckshot also.
A 12 gauge pump if everyone can handle it. If some have trouble with the recoil then a 20 gauge is easier for the small statured to handle. For home defense don't get a long barrel and remove the magazine plug. And get everyone who might have to use it familiar with it and get them plenty of practice at the range with periodic refresher trips.

There is a reason why the "fowling piece" has been the go to gun for centuries, it can defend the home, put meat on the table, ride shotgun on the stage coach, repel boarders and sweep the trenches.
Old September 26th, 2020, 11:33 PM #25
bonehead

bonehead

An ongoing argument

has been going on over at The Firearms Blog.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-home-defense/

There probably isn't one single right answer for this.

Except maybe an AR .410 shotgun.
If the great American people will only keep their temper, on both sides of the line, the troubles will come to an end, and the question which now distracts the country will be settled just as surely as all other difficulties of like character which have originated in this government have been adjusted.
Abraham Lincoln
noddaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2020, 11:34 PM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimnar15 View Post
I am going to get scorched for saying this, but, if you and your family do not train with a 12 Gauge shotgun, then it’s no good to you. It’s a big heavy weapon that packs a serious punch. The manual of arms requires a lot of muscle memory and under stress that can be a real disadvantage and even intimidating to the untrained.
Practice practice practice, as I said there are SEVERAL best first. I have a 44 Mag Ruger Redhawk in my nightstand. 12 ga 870 on the bedroom ready rack, 12 Ga SXS coach at back door, SKS at front door, Mod 70 06 at basement door and a 380 in my pocket. Is the SKS,06 and 380 a good first, probably not but I listed a couple that are ready. I probably have as good a chance of a rabid coyote trying to break in than any poor bastard in Maryland that might have a democrat looking for cash so ........... it is what it is.
All my kids have left the nest so it's just the two of us and I'm not worried about a empty chamber.
JamesDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2020, 11:37 PM #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsco View Post
not a fan of the shottie for HD. despite myth, you can somewhat easily miss with a shotgun, esp at closer ranges. just hit a 3 gun match and you'll see... next is, with a long barrel there is more out there for a bad guy to grab, and it's unwieldy going around corners etc. and of course the kick, esp for smaller statured folks. then of course, limited mag capacity and pretty hard to reload.

i actually think a pistol caliber carbine (pcc) in 9mm is an ideal HD firearm. you hold it with both hands and into your shoulder so it's pretty steady. not nearly as unwieldy as a shottie. almost no recoil. huge mag capacity.

but there's a reason PCC's are normally at the top of competitions, pretty easy to shoot fast & accurately. even folks with limited firearms experience can pick up a pcc and do pretty good with it.
I agree completely. 9mm PCC is the best. Low recoil. Easy to aim. Great magazine capacity. Should be easy for the entire family to master as opposed to a shotgun that most of the family won't want to shoot, short stroking is always a factor, follow-up shots are slow....
Old September 26th, 2020, 11:50 PM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsco View Post

I agree on the PCC as a superior all around option for a newer shooter, they are easy to learn without the recoil, size, and simplified reloading factors. My favorite is the Kel-Tec Sub2K in 9mm taking Glock mags interchangeable with my other defensive handguns of choice including the 33rd Glock manufactured sticks, but there are other great carbine options as well that Iím sure others will share.
Mark392001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2020, 02:09 AM #29