• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    My niece mentioned wanting a stun gun . Does anyone have any recommendations ? I haven't messed with one in years .

Christmas this year for my nieces and sister will likely be mace , edc knife ,stun guns and a self defense class on how to properly use said items.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Traditional Stun Gun ? Short answer is Don't . Go actual Tazer , or skip the electric .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Whatever she gets, please, please, please make sure she knows it HAS to be used. It's not a negotiation tool to present and say " Stop or I'll use this on you". Just like pepper spray. Don't just show it, use it immediately when you need to.

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    I agree to go TASER, stun guns hurt but don't incapacitate, TASER does both, and from what I remember if you use a civilian TASER on someone attacking you and it gets lost or you set it down and run away, provide a police report and you get a new TASER. I am sure they are expensive though...

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Ouch really? I bought two from a member here a couple years back who was an authorized dealer and I thought it was around $650 for two of them. They must have gone up a lot.

*****Yes, I think the price has gone up a lot these past few years. I would think more so now with all of the recent civil unrest going on. Sort of like ammo, but you can still get a Taser if you want, but it will cost more.

I haven't checked super recently, but they were in stock at several mail order places, and on sale for Black Friday for like $339 shipped. That's for the pulse plus noonlight model. They have several different models.

They are better than the regular hand held stun guns that have no shooting probes for sure... That would be like a last resort and you better use it and hope it works otherwise you are likely to be not too happy that up and close to someone trying to hurt you. Always best to have some distance between you and an attacker if at all possible. A mile or so would be optimal, if you are good with a .50 BMG, so the attacker can't close the gap as easy to you... :innocent0

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    *****Yes, I think the price has gone up a lot these past few years. I would think more so now with all of the recent civil unrest going on. Sort of like ammo, but you can still get a Taser if you want, but it will cost more.

I haven't checked super recently, but they were in stock at several mail order places, and on sale for Black Friday for like $339 shipped. That's for the pulse plus noonlight model. They have several different models.

They are better than the regular hand held stun guns that have no shooting probes for sure... That would be like a last resort and you better use it and hope it works otherwise you are likely to be not too happy that up and close to someone trying to hurt you. Always best to have some distance between you and an attacker if at all possible. A mile or so would be optimal, if you are good with a .50 BMG, so the attacker can't close the gap as easy to you... :innocent0

I mean, I'm not a fan of tasers. The only reason I used to carry a taser pulse was because at the time I couldn't carry a firearm. The only reason my girlfriend carries one is because she can't carry a firearm. It may work, it may not work, but you only get one shot so it sort of sucks. But it's better than nothing. OC spray to back it up. If I give her a knife someone just going to take it from her and use it against her. Not many other options.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Any of the Md Legal less lethal options will have advantages and limitations , with substially of the latter .

Old School stun guns are NOT like the movies or tv where one touch and they are either instantly unconscious , or flying accross the room .

Vastly Oversimplified - You would have to go hands-on , and obtain sufficient control on them to hold them motionless for 5 seconds , with one hand holding the sg . Back in the pre modern Tazer era , stun guns had a degree of usefulness in certain LE and Correctional situiations , but not really for defending against random physical attacks .

In Md , either OC , or bite the bullet to spend the $$ on Tazer , no good intermediate choices
    . ( Unless you are also proficient in DT or martial arts , And physically fit . )

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom