• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Know what type it was?

I've found that the private-label stuff usually brings less money at auction, which is great as it means you can grab a real classic for a lot less money.

The other thing to look for are the "blue-collar" grades of various name-brand firearms. The hardware/dept. store private labels definitely fit the bill here, but gun makers also had a habit, especially in the first half of the last century, of making less expensive versions of their signature lines with another name on them. This is especially true of the American double-gun market but also spilled over into the rifle world as well. Double-gun examples are LeFever from Ithaca, Riverside, Springfield, Cumberland, and many others from Stevens, etc.

The JC Penney shotgun I had was a Hi Standard Flite King under Penney's name. It was a nice piece...walnut furniture and a smooth action. I picked it up in a pawn shop cheap years ago. I used to work for JC Penney back in the '70s and I figured it was probably sold new through the store I worked at. That was the reason I bought it.

I sold it for large several months ago in Montgomery County where pump shotguns are hard to find due to fears of societal breakdown among those who voted for it.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    This is my 1937 Savage Model 99 EG. I picked this up in the Adirondacks a few years ago and added a vintage Stith mount with a Weaver scope. It was set up with a peep sight, Marble or Lyman, which left a cut out on the stock behind the receiver. It is a .300 Savage which I reload. Don't have much time for rifle hunting these days, but I get it out to the range at least once a year.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I bought my .30-30 Savage 99 specifically because it was unmolested. No peep sight no tapping for a scope. Just original buckhorn sights

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Can't beat an old Winchester Model 70 with a period correct Bausch & Lomb scope with adjustable mounts as well as the M54, 94's old Savage 1899/99 Remington 721. The old militaries are excellent guns but relics for hunting. The old Winchesters and such were made for hunting yet vintage Americana.

motorcity

Jul 14, 2020
    Not a rifle, but I have a 1955 Savage/Stevens .16 pump that came down through the family. Does the trick for sporting clays. Not the richest patina, but I know all the stories that explain the scratches. Really cool that something 30+ years older than me is still doing what is was made for.

I dropped by the Gun Vault in southern PA (Shrewsbury?) on my way to get fireworks this summer. They have/had a bunch of old stuff on the walls. Not by any means antique/collectibles, but farmhouse, working rifles and side by sides. Not sure if they’re fun to shoot, but good condition with rich patinas, decent pricing. I thought about picking one up for decor over the fireplace. Decided to spend the $80 bucks on more Roman candles. YMMV.

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    JjZRDJv-HsncSnUyQK1KDd5_UP8AIYp8vsiuRmx6HAr3xO5e1Rn-KE7HZC2tobgqFSY95xeKtIofD9G2Hro-e42n5jjyjWTiz-XAPywqSrb9uYMnaCZusEU3im171WLAx1EqwiHm-avSd2DPOXpoOsDPKajnaQPa3_NqoJ9NXo5OTkHogIHVgxzjJgK1Av9HZOfupFeREjbVyQVdiYmyV3ZDTgAK_UDq5pQRIm3bj53vfiZzEyuRfaelB7TEcFzC8Tqc2zebRioIcxP311lCrKdLt3Sw1WuoEITewGILVlm3rnPH_Ji6mbDHtsWZHtQa1y1-r14Rrq0Sd2h8D1GtUYdAiFRrHDKA_sAS50avms3U9JuN99eRaj-4oONqiNfvwfofQaRSYJznUsDxD1WB2aGJT9dEKyrvyQe_gRTdSwbkewDucIGAm2-cUKtWuYpHA75ujjzPILn3H27Xu2laocrySbmH2jBqLsUe4JApaFIQro8goHoWqFMfFx2Tui8FzrzCQEKQxTufm7s-shmUUWTHUmf-BlE6GqGoCy4-fqkfmLUOPpMv_TH8SxVwe3YjZrTrw_FgTFDVdIlF-4KH6PjNLvYx5hyyWahc_mwErTSJvkYedULjPhg1YmT-YBpOjA6E9XnuUSEzsAsbX4KWl1sj7hBoOpqKszyyZpggfNQ4SV4DjBxnEXe-cI2qEA=w1018-h763-no

I missed an 8pt Buck with this on Saturday :sad20:
    Remington 600 in 350 Rem Mag.
    The gun was passed to me from my cousin, and it's as old as me (53)

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I've been looking for sometime - finally said to the hell with it and bought a Remington .35 cal Model 8 tonight on GunBroker.

Even though the ad says 1920, it is actually a 1922 model.

It has some finish wear and patina on it all right but it doesn't have any scope-mount holes drilled in the receiver like so many of the ones that come up for sale do.

Attachments

• Model 8-1.jpg
      Model 8-1.jpg
      76.5 KB · Views: 185

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I've been looking for sometime - finally said to the hell with it and bought a Remington .35 cal Model 8 tonight on GunBroker.

It has some finish wear and patina on it all right but it doesn't have any scope-mount holes drilled in the receiver like so many of the ones that come up for sale do.

Many years ago Colonial Arms in Glen Burnie had racks FULL of them and Swiss K31 under 100 dollars. This was circa 1970 ish and quite frankly I didn't know a whole lot. Model 8 ugly as sin and the K31... what kind of action is this????

Shame I don't have the keys to my wayback machine anymore. :sad20:

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Many years ago Colonial Arms in Glen Burnie had racks FULL of them and Swiss K31 under 100 dollars. This was circa 1970 ish and quite frankly I didn't know a whole lot. Model 8 ugly as sin and the K31... what kind of action is this????

Shame I don't have the keys to my wayback machine anymore. :sad20:

At a hundred bucks a pop, you could turn quite a profit with them today. Of course if we had those keys to that wayback machine, we could all go back and buy Apple at the IPO..lol

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    At a hundred bucks a pop, you could turn quite a profit with them today. Of course if we had those keys to that wayback machine, we could all go back and buy Apple at the IPO..lol

Surplus weapons were almost free, Garands, carbines, Springfields, 303... you name it, these ALL went between 19.99 and 99 dollars. I'm STILL kicking myself in the ass. :sad20:

Be it by gun shops or surplus joints like Sunny's.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Surplus weapons were almost free, Garands, carbines, Springfields, 303... you name it, these ALL went between 19.99 and 99 dollars. I'm STILL kicking myself in the ass. :sad20:

Be it by gun shops or surplus joints like Sunny's.

I'm not old enough to have ever seen deals like that so i guess i cant be too dissapointed that i couldnt get any like that. But i still am.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

What did it hammer for? I was tempted by one the other day, but once the pictures went up, I saw that it had that god-awful rear sight that moves the standard buckhorn from the barrel to a mount on the rear of the receiver. On top of that, it had 4 holes on the left side. Dude wanted $900 for it. No way with that many scars.

Model 8 ugly as sin

You take that back...... :mad54:

Seriously though, I think they have an art-deco beauty to them that is missing from so many utilitarian arms these days.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    What did it hammer for?

$1150

Been wanting and watching for sometime. Kind of lost my patience and might have paid too much but it's a done deal and it's mine, or soon will be. It seems to be all original and unmolested.

I got tired of looking at ones with holes drilled in the receiver, dents in the outer barrel, add-on rear sights and crushed front sights going for ~$800-$900 or more and really pristine ones going for more than $2000. Saw one of the more limited production ones with engraving and in mint condition sell for $7500.

I too like the less common guns with wood stocks and some character. The only reason I have ARs is because I'm afraid someone will tell me I can't have them.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    What did it hammer for? I was tempted by one the other day, but once the pictures went up, I saw that it had that god-awful rear sight that moves the standard buckhorn from the barrel to a mount on the rear of the receiver. On top of that, it had 4 holes on the left side. Dude wanted $900 for it. No way with that many scars.

You take that back...... :mad54:

Seriously though, I think they have an art-deco beauty to them that is missing from so many utilitarian arms these days.

All that's missing is the steam actuators.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I'm not a hunter but I do have one hunting rifle. I bought it because it's both vintage (1957) and mechanical art. It's a Mannlicher Shoenauer Model 1956 in .308 with factory mounted rings and a Weaver K4F:

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Mmany of the Mauser rifles were made into Sporters for game hunting back years ago. Used to have them at Woolworth stores, Montgomery Wards and others. I have a few Spanish M1916 Mauser rifles done that way and two Arisaka rifles sporterized. They were cheap also and could buy from out of Magazines years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom