• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I keep a stack of $1 bills on hand. Never know when the fellas are going to get together and go to the nudie bar. For the rougher bars I keep rolls of nickels.
    Rain vs hail.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Can't get my mind around not using cash , Your cards and accounts can be turned off if the government thinks you maybe a risk or threat and the ever present threat of hacking and poof it's gone
    This is a cool plot to a suspense novel, but not real life unless I turn into some kind of criminal.

I have been in places were it was cash only after storms for weeks , If your going to keep your wealth keep it in gold and silver and by all means keep some in the bank for normal bill paying . Also tipping in cash keeps it off the income radar for all those who work had and don't get the application they deserve , Tip well for good service and do it in cash.
    Again, I'm fine with keeping like a thousand bucks around for these events. But people who are telling me I need $10k in the safe are just not being realistic, IMHO.

vulcanrun

Feb 27, 2012
    Edgewater
    I got a few G's from selling most of my stuff and ammo for future international travel. Still have another year to liquidate a few arms I collected the last decade.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Cash , Grass or Ass.

I decided I would have cash.

*****You should have all three for a diversified portfolio. Although to be fair if you have a lot of cash and grass, and you get caught, your ass might wind up in prison - where surprise morning sex may not be as pleasant as it sounds to those actually in prison....

I guess if I had to settle on one of those three, cash would be it as I could always rent or buy the other two with enough of it!

Good call... :thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No doubt, but I surely wouldn't want to have as much as $10k laying around to get destroyed or stolen.

How much do you have in firearms or ammo laying around?

Not expecting an answer, but just thinking. :D

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I almost never have cash on me. My wife keeps some cash but at this moment I do not have a single dollar bill on my person, car, or in my home.

I used to have a bunch of guys work for me that "didn't believe in/trust banks" and would walk around with their 2 weeks pay in their pockets. Also the same guys that would blow it all on the newest iPhone or Jordans. Frustrated me to no end to see that. They were just as perplexed by me when I would tell them I never carry cash as I was to see them walking around with their entire net worth on them in any given day.

Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    I almost never have cash on me. My wife keeps some cash but at this moment I do not have a single dollar bill on my person, car, or in my home.

I used to have a bunch of guys work for me that "didn't believe in/trust banks" and would walk around with their 2 weeks pay in their pockets. Also the same guys that would blow it all on the newest iPhone or Jordans. Frustrated me to no end to see that. They were just as perplexed by me when I would tell them I never carry cash as I was to see them walking around with their entire net worth on them in any given day.

that is a difficult visual to get past.
    some habits are good and some are not.
    not trusting banks and having poor habits are not a good combination.

having discipline and respect for the power to purchase, are not well taught in our society anymore.

D:cool:

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    IF you go with Fiat currency, how much do you keep in Euros, Pound Sterling and Deutsche Marks?

Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    IF you go with Fiat currency, how much do you keep in Euros, Pound Sterling and Deutsche Marks?

personally, my vote would be for non of them.

I could be wrong, but i think the purpose for this type of conversation is to get away from "'systems" , if something happens to the point that one can not retrieve their goods from a bank, what good is florigen currency going to do?

-

just my thought.
    D:cool:

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Cash. I keep enough to be useful; but not so much that if it all burned up it would be devastating. I think five grand is a good number to work toward. Throw a hundred in every pay period or something.

There are lots of good reasons for keeping cash; most have already been mentioned here.

Scenario 1: Your wallet is lost or stolen. You need to cancel your cards. It could take some time to get replacements. Have a stash at home? You can get through the interim.

Scenario 2: Your wife decides to run off with the plumber and drains your account. Assuming she doesn't know where the stash is and runs off with that as well, you have some flexibility.

Scenario 3: You say something on an online forum and the cancel culture mob go about attacking everything associated with you. I understand that bank accounts have been closed after this has happened. You'll get your cash eventually, probably; but in the meantime cash is king.

Scenario 4: Maybe you just don't want the financial people to know what it is you are buying. They data-mine everything. It's none of their business. They already know too much. And now-a-days you really can't be sure where we are heading.

Scenario 5: You take a job with the Trump transistion team (or the next Literal Hitler) and suddenly find yourself harrassed into hiding.

Scenario 6: You meet a fine lolita at the local watering hole and need some place to, uh, get to know each other where your wife won't find out. (please don't be that guy)

Scenario 7: Major storm, earthquake, volcano, asteroid, solar flare hits and the world is shut down for a little while to a long while. For a little while, cash is king. For an apocolyptic long term scenario, cash is still king while people get over their normalcy biases as to when the world might start functioning normally again. Cash, no matter what happens, isn't likely to lose it's buying power immediatly. Most folks will expect the lights to come on sooner or later.

Scenario 8: You have an opportunity to purchase something you want in a private sale. Cash only. Limited time offer.

Scenario 9: Something happens. A few bucks slid to the right person might make that something go away.

Scenario 10: Does Ammo John even take plastic? (I can only assume he'll be back in business eventually)

Mostly, cash equals flexibility I think.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    What's easier to carry, $1,000 in cash or a handgun?

What is the likelihood of one of the above to be useful as you conduct your daily life? Not saying you should pick one over the other, just pointing to perspective.

Cash is a very versatile, maybe the most versatile, prep that is conveniently lightweight and consealabe. This is especially true when the world is not on fire but you find yourself in a jam.

On a secondary note, I find myself more reticent to spend cash than pull out a credit card. Not an original observation, obviously.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Cash. I keep enough to be useful; but not so much that if it all burned up it would be devastating. I think five grand is a good number to work toward. Throw a hundred in every pay period or something.

There are lots of good reasons for keeping cash; most have already been mentioned here.

Scenario 1: Your wallet is lost or stolen. You need to cancel your cards. It could take some time to get replacements. Have a stash at home? You can get through the interim.

Scenario 2: Your wife decides to run off with the plumber and drains your account. Assuming she doesn't know where the stash is and runs off with that as well, you have some flexibility.

Scenario 3: You say something on an online forum and the cancel culture mob go about attacking everything associated with you. I understand that bank accounts have been closed after this has happened. You'll get your cash eventually, probably; but in the meantime cash is king.

Scenario 4: Maybe you just don't want the financial people to know what it is you are buying. They data-mine everything. It's none of their business. They already know too much. And now-a-days you really can't be sure where we are heading.

Scenario 5: You take a job with the Trump transistion team (or the next Literal Hitler) and suddenly find yourself harrassed into hiding.

Scenario 6: You meet a fine lolita at the local watering hole and need some place to, uh, get to know each other where your wife won't find out. (please don't be that guy)

Scenario 7: Major storm, earthquake, volcano, asteroid, solar flare hits and the world is shut down for a little while to a long while. For a little while, cash is king. For an apocolyptic long term scenario, cash is still king while people get over their normalcy biases as to when the world might start functioning normally again. Cash, no matter what happens, isn't likely to lose it's buying power immediatly. Most folks will expect the lights to come on sooner or later.

Scenario 8: You have an opportunity to purchase something you want in a private sale. Cash only. Limited time offer.

Scenario 9: Something happens. A few bucks slid to the right person might make that something go away.

Scenario 10: Does Ammo John even take plastic? (I can only assume he'll be back in business eventually)

Mostly, cash equals flexibility I think.

****The above is a very good post. Several of the above points have happened to me in my relatively short life that I hope to make longer - like other parts of me.

Unfortunately, not the lolita one. I should probably keep some extra cash for that one, assuming she doesn't take ammo for currency...

I try to live well beneath my means and always have. I am, almost to a fault, a saver and not a spender though I do have some nice things now that I have earned a significant financial buffer that makes me feel comfortable spending when needed, or for things I value, etc..

Everyone is different but for me I appreciate not having to rely on others for financial or other assistance if at all possible. Having a few thousand or whatever is reasonable to my way of thinking for unforseen things happening and it just seems like common sense to me. I always have some cash on me, and keep some in my car, home, etc... in case something happens. I honestly don't know *what* could happen only that not having cash when you need it is kind of like not having a parachute or gun when you need it: pretty good chance you will never need it again...

I don't carry my life savings with me, and have investments, and other stuff that is not easily accessible, or even liquid, but I would not feel really prepared as a sort of prepper not having cash or other easily liquidated goods available for hopefully rare and unforseen events.

I have friends that do not seem stressed running their car on empty, or having an ass ton of bill collectors breathing down their necks because they just spent all of their money on partying or donations to the Joe Biden campaign as an "investment", etc... That attitude is just not me and living that way would really stress me out to the point I would need to spend $11k or more on dental work from grinding my teeth (or tooth, if that's all I have left from all the grinding...)

For me, having some cash or other liquid assets or currency is just part of feeling secure that I can handle financial hurdles that sometimes come up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom