• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Guess we'll jump on the band wagon and get in line to get a chest freezer.

Never really felt the need with it just being the two of us and being here in the burbs with reliable access to fresh stuff. I've always had the really deep stores of freeze dried stuff for when it gets really bad, but this place of unreliable supply chain dynamics that could persist for some time has me concerned.

Everyone is back ordered, so like I said we'll get in line and wait.

"How big?' is the question. We don't have a ton of space and it has to make it down the stairs into the basement.

Again, it's just the two of us, but damned if I don't like my steaks.:D

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    When it comes to size, it is not so you can fill it up, but so you can spread it out. You need to rotate stock to avoid freezer burn. We have found some stuff recently that I won't even feed to the dogs.... well, they'll get it, but they better not complain.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    When it comes to size, it is not so you can fill it up, but so you can spread it out. You need to rotate stock to avoid freezer burn. We have found some stuff recently that I won't even feed to the dogs.... well, they'll get it, but they better not complain.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My fear is that becomes like a gun safe-you buy a big one and you'll eventually fill it up with stuff you don't use. :lol2:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Now it is more of a question, where the hell can you get one?

Nowhere right now - it's all getting in line and ordering it and waiting. They are quoting into the summer on some things.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Guess we'll jump on the band wagon and get in line to get a chest freezer.

Never really felt the need with it just being the two of us and being here in the burbs with reliable access to fresh stuff. I've always had the really deep stores of freeze dried stuff for when it gets really bad, but this place of unreliable supply chain dynamics that could persist for some time has me concerned.

Everyone is back ordered, so like I said we'll get in line and wait.

"How big?' is the question. We don't have a ton of space and it has to make it down the stairs into the basement.

Again, it's just the two of us, but damned if I don't like my steaks.:D

This is what we looked at for being just the two of us also. I know it’s an upright. Have something similar that’s 25 years old but NOT frost free. Like you said, there’s a nationwide freezer shortage. Big box stores even sold their floor displays.

Attachments

• 20149D14-2EA8-4166-B722-12983E61B699.jpg
      20149D14-2EA8-4166-B722-12983E61B699.jpg
      25.1 KB · Views: 1,772

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I have been thinking about getting a 20 cubic footer to add to our existing 8 cubic footer( it’s 30 years old do it may be replacing it) and I am thinking about buying a beef and a hog. My problem is that’s over two years of meat for the wife and I and I don’t want it to go bad but I like having a lot of food on hand.

I am wondering what others think about this as well

Is that too much meat and too long to keep it, even if vaccine sealed??

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    I've had an upright type freezer for a number of years. If I remember correctly it's about a 20-25 cu ft size. I find that I never have enough room, family of four but still I think if it were just the two of us I would never have enough room. I make apple cider every year so I put away 15-20 half gallon containers in the door. The occasional run to the "real" butcher sets me up for many months too. All vacuum sealed bags so they will keep for a year. I put away soup too, make about a four gallon pot of fresh chicken soup and then pour it off into quart bags and seal them up. do the same with beef or fish stock so I can whip up a soup with fresh veggie in the winter.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I don't know the dimensions. But I have about 100 pounds of meat and fish. There is nothing in there that isn't vacuum sealed, except the local ground beef.
    I'm going with everything in there is probably good for at least 2 years if I didn't rotate or replace anything. I think I'm going for another one this summer.

The Garand and General Motors/Inland mfg. Carbine are for size comparison.
    47b77ca69e32e3db62857bdd09c4e664.jpg
    3ecacd35c50bfe65cc4f2c144f4a07b9.jpg
    05652c25652e16dbb811c3e65ef5271e.jpg

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I don't know the dimensions. But I have about 100 pounds of meat and fish. There is nothing in there that isn't vacuum sealed, except the local ground beef.
    I'm going with everything in there is probably good for at least 2 years if I didn't rotate or replace anything. I think I'm going for another one this summer.

The Garand and General Motors/Inland mfg. Carbine are for size comparison.

Thats about the size I was looking for...

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    So I'll recommend a stand up for multiple reasons but the biggest is so you can actually get to things without emptying the freezer because what you want is at the bottom. Also easier to defrost once a year. Yes the chest type are cheaper and don't let as much cold air out when you open it,but it's not a fridge. You may open it once a day. Do not buy a frost free, it defeats the purpose of a deep freeze. I've got wrapped steaks that I find two years old that are perfectly fine. I have a Frigidaire 14 cubic ft that holds the 3-5 deer I shoot plus pork loins and bulk chicken buys. Occasionally during the season I have to use the beer fridge freezer but I'd buy this same one again in a heartbeat.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    How big? As big as will fit? I like small.

Avoid uprights and other freezers that self defrost. I have suffered multiple catastrophes with self defrost freezers. The timers always go bad on them for some reason. They always seem to go bad in the self defrost (off) mode. You never find out until you smell 'something rotten in Denmark'. Then it's too late.

I prefer small chests over large. Stuff doesn't get buried as deeply, so its easier to keep track of what you have.

My half pence

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have a whole duck in my deep freezer that probably has been in there for 8 years, or maybe 10-12 years... I forget. My wife doesn't like duck so I've always put off thawing it and eating it.

I bet it still is good though. Was bought frozen and never has seen the light of day; in the bottom of our deep freezer.

I need to do something with it pretty damned soon.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have a whole duck in my deep freezer that probably has been in there for 8 years, or maybe 10-12 years... I forget. My wife doesn't like duck so I've always put off thawing it and eating it.

I bet it still is good though. Was bought frozen and never has seen the light of day; in the bottom of our deep freezer.

I need to do something with it pretty damned soon.

Pull!

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    I guess I've been lucky with my frost free freezer as I have not had any problems and haven't had to defrost and chip ice. I also haven't found the quality of food going down, we've eaten a few things these past two weeks that have been in there for two years with no freezer burn that I could tell. I'd recommend calling some local appliance shops and you might find one. Also when sorting on company pages make sure you have it searching all local inventory including the warehouse and not just one store. That is how I found the unit at Best buy I purchased last Tuesday. If you don't mind used might be worth checking on Nextdoor. I know one MDS members got a freezer from there recently.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Two years in a freezer is not big deal at all especially if it’s vacuum sealed. I also suggest not going with a frost one.

I defrost mine once a year right before hunting season when it’s a little less full.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    For two people go with an upright. The chest type are usually bigger but you end up using just the top layer and everything else sits for years because its very difficult to organize them. The upright ones are a lot easier to organize and rotate food.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Two years in a freezer is not big deal at all especially if it’s vacuum sealed. I also suggest not going with a frost one.

I defrost mine once a year right before hunting season when it’s a little less full.

2 years is nothing if vacuumed sealed properly. My neighbor purposely put a vacuum sealed venison tenderloin in the bottom of his freezer for 5 years. At the end of 5 years he cooked it up and said it was food to go.

I have both chest and upright freezers. I prefer the chest freezer with the meat stored in small plastic bins for easy organizing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom