• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Given current weather conditions, you have about a day to fix it.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I agree with both of the points above, first the craziness of 2020 has really made me appreciate a full freezer, and solidified a commitment to keeping it that way into the foreseeable future, and second, that I absolutely need to work on getting my generator working before we have a long power outage. The last time I tried to start my generator, opened the fuel petcock on the fuel tank and gas came gushing out the carburetor. My assumption is that the float in the carb is stuck in the open position.

JoeR

Good luck getting the generator fixed. You are one step ahead of me by just having one. I have some research to do before I take that plunge. I have been extremely fortunate to NOT have encountered any lengthy power outages since I've had it.

I too have solidified a commitment to keeping mine stocked as well. Between my frozen food, boxed food and canned food, i would not have to go anywhere for at least 3 months if it came down to it. That does not include the emergency freeze dried food that I have. I could probably do 4 months. One cool thing that i stumbled across last spring... Freezing milk in Ball mason jars. It lasts a loooong time. Plus, after thawing, you can crack open the jar use a little, put the lid back on nice and tight. That stuff is still good a month later. I was amazed. I actually just picked up a 10 pack of powdered milk tonight. Thats 10 quarts of guaranteed milk for a year when needed.

Cheers to full freezers!

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Good luck getting the generator fixed. You are one step ahead of me by just having one. I have some research to do before I take that plunge. I have been extremely fortunate to NOT have encountered any lengthy power outages since I've had it.

Cheers to full freezers!

Since it's not a time-critical need, at least not at this moment, I'll take the easy step of ordering a new carb for it. With any luck, it should be an easy fix...just been on my round-to-it list for a while now.

And yes...cheers to a full freezer!

JoeR

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Since it's not a time-critical need, at least not at this moment, I'll take the easy step of ordering a new carb for it. With any luck, it should be an easy fix...just been on my round-to-it list for a while now.

And yes...cheers to a full freezer!

JoeR

There are few things mechanical that are easier than cleaning a carb. Fuel gushing is indeed your float being stuck. It takes just as long to remove a carb as it does t open it up. Just one more bolt and the bowl comes off revealing the innards. One screw and the needle is liberated. Your money, your time, your call. I'm just saying it is super easy.

Cheers,

Mark

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Remove bowl and float. A 1/2” or 9/16” wrench will remove bowl. Spray generously with carb cleaner,squirt cleaner into jets along with fresh gas in tank. And new-spark plug
    More times then not motor will start

Let generator run ,add stabile too tank,run for 10 minutes then close fuel line and let motor run out of gas.
    Fire up motor every 2 months then follow same shut down method. Generator will start every time..
    Running generator every 2-4 months a year have never had a problem.

Now if you know your not going to need generator for several months( as on my camper. I stabilize fuel,use outboard motor fogged to coat internal engine parts
    Time to start,change plug, turn on gas and run it
    Procedures have worked for me so far

Sarfs1

Mar 20, 2020
    Freezer thoughts

Buy things you will cook regularly and on the grill! You'll need to use this up and and cook it regularly as you rotate for freshness.

Remember - for the Prepper purposes a Freezer is only as good as the generator you buy to run it and for as long as you have fuel for the generator

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    5 cuft Chest Freezers at HD for $88 Gettem While they're HOT

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VISSANI-5-cu-ft-Defrost-Chest-Freezer-in-White-MDCF5WH/314186968

white-vissani-chest-freezers-mdcf5wh-a0_145.jpg

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    For anyone still looking, they must be coming back in stock because I saw a stack of them for sale in the local grocery store of all places this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom