• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You don't *have to* , but that's where a big chunk of your business and profits are for a general purpose, all around LGS . Of course if you are specialized in long range rifles , or high end sporting clays , or whatever , different set of calculations .

Do you have to have an RWD to sell handguns over the internet, if you aren't selling them directly to Maryland residents?

I think that is how United started, and then expanded from online sales to the shop in Rockville.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    You don't *have to* , but that's where a big chunk of your business and profits are for a general purpose, all around LGS . Of course if you are specialized in long range rifles , or high end sporting clays , or whatever , different set of calculations .

Stock fitting, repair and maintenance of firearms is another reason.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    It's all driven by the A&D (acquisition and disposition) log book that you are required to keep, per Federal rules. Everything that comes in to the biz gets logged in, then you log it out when it is sold to a person or to another dealer.
    If the log book has very few entries at all, or has lots of entries coming in and few out, that could give rise to some questions - it looks like you are having the FFL to increase your own personal collection, which is expressly forbidden. AFAIK, no government is asking if you are actually making money or losing money etc. You can be good at biz or bad at biz, and that's not a requirement. Maybe you make more money on gunsmithing, or you make more money selling the optics. You just have to keep the gun inventory moving along. You could have FFL, buy some stuff, shoot it for a while, keep it in inventory as a demo gun, and then sell it on to a person or another dealer. No rules that you can't try out the stuff that the business owns. Fortunately, in that situation, you can still sell it on as the first sale with the original warranty, even if has some wear / rounds thru it.

The shortage has been good for smaller and kitchen table FFLs, as it has enabled them to clear out some of this random inventory of guns that were previously hard to sell even at cost.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Stock fitting, repair and maintenance of firearms is another reason.

In which case, it might make more sense to get a gunsmith FFL, though I do not know exactly what their capabilities are regarding purchasing firearms for their own use directly.

OP, so long as your dispositions are made in a manner that allows you to further your collecting activities, the BATFE is likely to leave you alone. But if you're just selling a bunch of stuff because you need quick cash or the market is roaring at the time, they might start putting you under the microscope more.

FWIW, my neighbor was able to set hours of operation at the IWLA two Saturdays a month as his business hours and the BATFE was okay with it. Didn't hurt that he is five-oh either. Most of his transactions were for fellow officers or his own collection.

SamIam

Feb 6, 2021
    FFL license application and most importantly zoning permit seems like a big issue for new entrepreneurs who wants to get in to this business. I am seriously thinking of getting into the business aspect of it. Especially sourcing from overseas. Is there any consultant in MD who can advice and/or Joint venture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    FFL license application and most importantly zoning permit seems like a big issue for new entrepreneurs who wants to get in to this business. I am seriously thinking of getting into the business aspect of it. Especially sourcing from overseas. Is there any consultant in MD who can advice and/or Joint venture?

What zipcode?

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA

Unless you have already established relationships with “Key” figures in foreign governments, an 08 is essentially a waste of money. I thought I was going to the Kalashnikov king and then reality/ITAR came up like the Berlin Wall. That not to mention the whole EU “Regulatory Scheme”, US treasury/state department “lists” along with customs on both ends it is nearly impossible to become a successful player. Major military contracts for middle eastern countries has most factories already accounted for at full capacity. Finally most of the existing surplus has already been liquidated and the accumulated amounts of the past are no longer being stockpiled in inventories like years past. My experience is in Eastern Europe/ former Warsaw Pact nations mixing in some central and Western European countries as well. From my understanding this theme is pretty much across the board with the exception of the one country that has it all waiting to be purchased for cheap, yet is untouchable in Amurrica, China.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    From my understanding this theme is pretty much across the board with the exception of the one country that has it all waiting to be purchased for cheap, yet is untouchable in Amurrica, China.

There is also a pile of stuff, including a lot of the IHC Garands made, sitting in Iran, too. Same problem as China, although I'd say Iran's governing regime is the more likely of the two to be overthrown in our lifetime.

SamIam

Feb 6, 2021
    Unless you have already established relationships with “Key” figures in foreign governments, an 08 is essentially a waste of money. I thought I was going to the Kalashnikov king and then reality/ITAR came up like the Berlin Wall. That not to mention the whole EU “Regulatory Scheme”, US treasury/state department “lists” along with customs on both ends it is nearly impossible to become a successful player. Major military contracts for middle eastern countries has most factories already accounted for at full capacity. Finally most of the existing surplus has already been liquidated and the accumulated amounts of the past are no longer being stockpiled in inventories like years past. My experience is in Eastern Europe/ former Warsaw Pact nations mixing in some central and Western European countries as well. From my understanding this theme is pretty much across the board with the exception of the one country that has it all waiting to be purchased for cheap, yet is untouchable in Amurrica, China.

Do you have 08?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom