• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Another thing the daughter said to me is she once asked "dad did you kill anyone in the war." She said there was a look in his eyes and said "Becki it was a war." And she said she knew she should never ask it again.

Similar to my uncle that landed on Omaha Beach in the first wave. I asked him if he saw "Saving Private Ryan" and he simply looked at me and said "That's just Hollywood." It was obvious he wasn't going to talk any more about the subject.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Thank you very much for doing these- I love your research projects. I don't always comment but I love to read them all!

lt508th

Jun 13, 2019
    What a truly wonderful story - thanks for sharing this! As an amateur historian, I am always fascinated to hear stories like this as it adds so much to the item, and gives it the human touch.

6cylrider98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2008
    Bmore Co
    Very cool, great job! I have found most if not all WW2 vets dont/didnt yalk about the war times. My grandfather and a few of his buds severed, and other that a few short stories, they didnt talk about it. Most were about state side stuff before they shipped off. Thanks for posting a great story.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    That is badass. I was able to get a garand back into my grandads hands, and was able to have him pin me on Ssgt years ago. Both of those things were in my top Marine Corps happenings. I'm sure you understand the significance of get a Marines rifle back to being servicable and reaching out to the family.
    If I ever have the chance ive got a drink of your choice with your name on it.

I hope to find a 1903 with some usmc history.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Back in the '80s I had a Rock Island '03 that had a bad barrel. I sold it to a guy whose dad was a Marine on Guadalcanal that carried a Rock Island. He didn't care about the bad barrel as he said he had a never used Rock Island barrel and wanted the complete rifle as a tribute to his dad.

Back in those days it wasn't too unusual to find such things as a NOS Rock Island barrels. Once the surplus stuff began being imported back into the country such parts skyrocketed in price and became scarce real quick.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    Pardon my arriving late to this dance, I was languishing in hospital recovering from gut surgery. This post brought tears to my eyes too. My favorite uncle had a similar story to tell. He was a peacetime Marine also and upon start of hostilities found himself stationed in Hawaii. His unit was the one designated to sail in the relief convoy to aid the Marines fighting for their lives on Wake Island. As you may know, the convoy was ordered to return to harbor when it became apparent they could do nothing to save the guys on Wake. He remained bitter about that whole deal for the rest of his life. He went on to participate in the fighting in the Solomons- Gudalcanal was not something he cared to talk about.

After that he rotated back stateside and spent the rest of the war as a rifle instructor.

It was his service using a Springfield, and another uncle on my Mom's side who was pre-war Army, that instilled in me my love of 1903 Springfields. May well be why I own an even dozen of the jewels now!

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I have a USMC Rock Island serial number 302649. It did not have a SRS hit (has a Hatcher Hole, serial number on the bolt, and stippled buttplate), but several close rifles did:

302067 RI 013031USMC - HAITI
    302616 040537 USMC - SAN DIEGO (SURVEY)
    RIA 302756 RIA 10-18 Hatcher hole (VISHOOTER.NET)
    303146 RI 011031USMC - HAITI

It seems a lot of Rock Island rifles in the 300k serial number range made it to the Marines.

Very cool piece of history you have there, OP.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have a USMC Rock Island serial number 302649. It did not have a SRS hit (has a Hatcher Hole, serial number on the bolt, and stippled buttplate), but several close rifles did:

302067 RI 013031USMC - HAITI
    302616 040537 USMC - SAN DIEGO (SURVEY)
    RIA 302756 RIA 10-18 Hatcher hole (VISHOOTER.NET)
    303146 RI 011031USMC - HAITI

It seems a lot of Rock Island rifles in the 300k serial number range made it to the Marines.

Very cool piece of history you have there, OP.

Bolts with the serial number on them were a mark of a match rifle. Does the barrel have a star gauge mark at the muzzle? The lack of a star gauge mark doesn't necessarily mean it's not a match gun but all match guns fabricated at Springfield Armory were star gauged. Marine Ordnance was fully capable of building match rifles after they left Springfield or Rock Island.

If your rifle is a Marine match grade rifle that's quite the coup.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Bolts with the serial number on them were a mark of a match rifle. Does the barrel have a star gauge mark at the muzzle? The lack of a star gauge mark doesn't necessarily mean it's not a match gun but all match guns fabricated at Springfield Armory were star gauged. Marine Ordnance was fully capable of building match rifles after they left Springfield or Rock Island.

If your rifle is a Marine match grade rifle that's quite the coup.

Not sure, it's been so long since I've taken that rifle out of the safe. I will check though, thank you.

Feb 28, 2013
    That is badass. I was able to get a garand back into my grandads hands, and was able to have him pin me on Ssgt years ago. Both of those things were in my top Marine Corps happenings. I'm sure you understand the significance of get a Marines rifle back to being servicable and reaching out to the family.
    If I ever have the chance ive got a drink of your choice with your name on it.

I hope to find a 1903 with some usmc history.
    Id definitely advise against shootin one with a 6 digit serial number though

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom