• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Damn. I just checked my spreadsheet and have only 160 rounds of 30-30. I swore I had more than that squirreled away...

You just prompted me to check my spreadsheet too... surprisingly low amount... only 240 rounds... how did I let that happen?? I'm sure I have more at my undisclosed location since I keep a 30-30 out there and that's not on my tracker. But still... I guess it will be a while before I can remedy that situation.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I don't have a gun that shoots 30-30 but I can reload it. So if you have a 30-30 rifle and shoot a deer but are short on ammo you may be willing to trade me some meat for my reloading service or maybe you have saved all your brass but either don't know how to reload, lack the components, or don't have dies and would be willing to trade 100 empty cases for 50 reloaded rounds then I would be able to reload the other cases and trade with some one else 30-30 ammo for silver which I could then use to buy what I need.

The idea of never shooting someone else's reloads will go out the window when there is no ammo available and if things stay bad for long enough people will be happy to get anything that will shoot even if is reloaded with home made black powder and re-manufactured primers as long as it goes bang when you pull the trigger and will kill something.

Depending on the SHTF (how serious and how long) ammo will play an important part in the commerce both as a commodity and a medium of exchange. The Du Pont family built quite a business empire that started as a family business making a better Black Powder back in 1802.

I have several die sets I don't have guns for but I buy them when I see a good deal at a gun show or flea market. They don't take up much room and I could either use them for reloading as outlined above or use them as barter goods, dies will be worth a lot if it gets bad.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I don't have a gun that shoots 30-30 but I can reload it. So if you have a 30-30 rifle and shoot a deer but are short on ammo you may be willing to trade me some meat for my reloading service or maybe you have saved all your brass but either don't know how to reload, lack the components, or don't have dies and would be willing to trade 100 empty cases for 50 reloaded rounds then I would be able to reload the other cases and trade with some one else 30-30 ammo for silver which I could then use to buy what I need.

The idea of never shooting someone else's reloads will go out the window when there is no ammo available and if things stay bad for long enough people will be happy to get anything that will shoot even if is reloaded with home made black powder and re-manufactured primers as long as it goes bang when you pull the trigger and will kill something.

Depending on the SHTF (how serious and how long) ammo will play an important part in the commerce both as a commodity and a medium of exchange. The Du Pont family built quite a business empire that started as a family business making a better Black Powder back in 1802.

I have several die sets I don't have guns for but I buy them when I see a good deal at a gun show or flea market. They don't take up much room and I could either use them for reloading as outlined above or use them as barter goods, dies will be worth a lot if it gets bad.

I understand the concern of the hesitancy of shooting someone else's reloads. If you can validate the weight of the round(s) consistently from a known safe reload in the batch (disassembled), that takes a lot of uncertainty from the equation. Less chance of shooting a double charged round.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    My Vault is full of gardening tools because when SHTF you will all need to grow your own food and I'll have the tools you need.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    Cash. I keep enough to be useful; but not so much that if it all burned up it would be devastating. I think five grand is a good number to work toward. Throw a hundred in every pay period or something.

There are lots of good reasons for keeping cash; most have already been mentioned here.

Scenario 1: Your wallet is lost or stolen. You need to cancel your cards. It could take some time to get replacements. Have a stash at home? You can get through the interim.

Scenario 2: Your wife decides to run off with the plumber and drains your account. Assuming she doesn't know where the stash is and runs off with that as well, you have some flexibility.

Scenario 3: You say something on an online forum and the cancel culture mob go about attacking everything associated with you. I understand that bank accounts have been closed after this has happened. You'll get your cash eventually, probably; but in the meantime cash is king.

Scenario 4: Maybe you just don't want the financial people to know what it is you are buying. They data-mine everything. It's none of their business. They already know too much. And now-a-days you really can't be sure where we are heading.

Scenario 5: You take a job with the Trump transistion team (or the next Literal Hitler) and suddenly find yourself harrassed into hiding.

Scenario 6: You meet a fine lolita at the local watering hole and need some place to, uh, get to know each other where your wife won't find out. (please don't be that guy)

Scenario 7: Major storm, earthquake, volcano, asteroid, solar flare hits and the world is shut down for a little while to a long while. For a little while, cash is king. For an apocolyptic long term scenario, cash is still king while people get over their normalcy biases as to when the world might start functioning normally again. Cash, no matter what happens, isn't likely to lose it's buying power immediatly. Most folks will expect the lights to come on sooner or later.

Scenario 8: You have an opportunity to purchase something you want in a private sale. Cash only. Limited time offer.

Scenario 9: Something happens. A few bucks slid to the right person might make that something go away.

Scenario 10: Does Ammo John even take plastic? (I can only assume he'll be back in business eventually)

Mostly, cash equals flexibility I think.

11. You have someone you want to help out. For a long while, I combined the habits of a couple of friends and now carry folded up in an internal (not main pocket) $126 (1, 5, 20, 100). I've used these when someone was short at a vending machine or store, to chip in for flowers/gift when I'm with a group (office) that is responding to news of a birth or death, when I need to leave a tip, & the $100 was used when I was at conference when the other fellow (not my boss but, senior to me) hadn't paid a fee and they only took checks or cash (he paid me back : )

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    11. You have someone you want to help out. For a long while, I combined the habits of a couple of friends and now carry folded up in an internal (not main pocket) $126 (1, 5, 20, 100). I've used these when someone was short at a vending machine or store, to chip in for flowers/gift when I'm with a group (office) that is responding to news of a birth or death, when I need to leave a tip, & the $100 was used when I was at conference when the other fellow (not my boss but, senior to me) hadn't paid a fee and they only took checks or cash (he paid me back : )

12 When your having some work done (car, home , landscape ) by a independent contractors I always ask if I pay cash can I get a better price , Most of the time saves you some coin.

Last edited:

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    About 1k is plenty probably less. If payment systems go down cash is king and if you need essentials it's good to have some in an emergency.

Like clerk these days can work w/o the beeps, scanners, and displays...:rolleyes:

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Hiding places... safes are for obvious reason, one congressman years ago was caught with hot money stashed in his freezer, bury in pvc tubes, undoing tooth paste tubes and stashing money in empty tube, hiding in wood stoves.

Other hiding places around the house that a would be thief might not find?

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    This thread reminds me of the how much ammo do you have thread.

I wonder if anyone will make a "post your address thread"?

looking for the xRef thread.

no guns. I hate guns.
    I have lots of cash and gold for the emergency. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom